Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

What does E* have that D* doesn't?

• Please log in to reply
134 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   -Draino-

-Draino-

Godfather

• Registered
  • 348 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 19 June 2010 - 08:06 AM

Most of us here are DTV fans and for various reasons. If DTV is truly better how is it that Dish convinces customers to sign up to their service?

The only commercials I see from Dish are the "same TV for less" commercials, but that can't possibly be enough all by itself.

What do you think it is?:confused:

Samsung 55" LED 240Hz HDTV 1080P UN55B8000
(1) HD DVR HR34-700 - 0x808
(1) HD DVR HR24-500 - 
(1) HD DVR HR22-100
(3) HD H24-100

Dell Studio XPS 8300 - Intel Core i7 2600 3.40GHz
Memory: 16GB Dual-Channel
Hard Drive: (2) 500GB RAID 0 (Not Used) 1 Corsair SSD 240GB
Video: Nvidia GeForce GTS 450 1.5GB
27" Viewsonic VX2753MH-LED Digital HDMI
Win7U x64

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   volkl

volkl

Legend

• Registered
  • 124 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 08:21 AM

Dish used to be cheaper...don't know now after some of their new fees.

Dish packages are better for movie fans. I've had both, and my opinion is the SD picture quality of Dish was better, side by side. (Never had Dish HD, but many say the HD of Direct is better.) The Dish receivers are supposed to be faster and better, though that difference is quickly diminishing. I loved my 7200 SD DVR from Dish. Dish allows one to subscribe to adult channels beyond Playboy channel.

Dish & Direct compete, and if one is not a sports fan, the advantage switches between the two of them over time. We seem poised for a period where Direct will offer more HD, but we will see.

#3 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 08:23 AM

Aren't you in the wrong forum for this?
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#4 OFFLINE   werinshades

werinshades

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 08:31 AM

[quote name='-Draino-']Most of us here are DTV fans and for various reasons. If DTV is truly better how is it that Dish convinces customers to sign up to their service?

The only commercials I see from Dish are the "same TV for less" commercials, but that can't possibly be enough all by itself.

What do you think it is?

A big headache! I switched for a month recently with he hopes of bringing down the bill. I found out in order to get the discounts I was offered to sign up, had to jump through alot of hoops. The referral credit (Refer a friend for DirecTV offers ), requires the member that you're using the credit for, has to be a member of Club Dish which is a seperate entity that Dish (Another 1-800 number). If the person you're using doesn't have Club Dish, here's where the phone calls begin. If the person doesn't want to be a part of Club Dish, you don't get a referral. My initial referral was $100..same as Direct's. I called back after the Dish subscriber that I used received his Club Dish Cards (They have numbers you have to use..like using a DirecTV account number), but you can't use their Dish Account Number. when I called back in less than 1 month, I was told "no, it's a $35 referral", which set me off...lol. They reviewed by account notes, and yes I was offered $100. Mind you I made 7 calls, in two weeks in reference to the referral discount, and was told three different things at different times.
Programming...they do have more HBO and Showtime channels in HD. I did enjoy having the HBO Comedy Channel back. I did notice Comcast Sportsnet only broadcast during games (The term part time HD comes in here), so I couldn't enjoy the other shows they offer. Sports on DirecTV is hands down much better.
In the end, I tell people that DirecTV was missed. Being a golf fan, like the extra channels they offer during large tournaments unlike Dish. Became spoiled over the years and switched back. I'm not saying Dish isn't a good provider, but for what I needed, didn't work for me. When I called DirecTV to come back, they brought me back as a "new" customer. They sent two HD boxes, one of which was the HR22 for free, used my mom's account number for the $100 referral (Whew, that was easy !), went on line for the other 12 month redemption, and now have it back the way it was. Wouldn't mind some additional HBO & Showtime channels added, but can't always get what you want. This weekend it's US Open bonus coverage :icon_da:

#5 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,653 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 19 June 2010 - 08:32 AM

I know someone that has Dish primarily because he was told that DirecTV is for sports fans.

For some, it could be as simple as Dish had their locals, either SD or in HD without having to do OTA.

#6 OFFLINE   barryb

barryb

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,935 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 08:36 AM

Aren't you in the wrong forum for this?

Agreed Carl. This should be in a Dish forum to get the answer the OP is looking for.
Barry
MY SETUP
You can usually find me helping out in the Quiet Room on Friday chat night.

#7 OFFLINE   TDK1044

TDK1044

Godfather

• Registered
  • 539 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 09:21 AM

I was with Dish for ten years and I've now been with D* for just over a year. In my opinion, both providers offer a very similar service in terms of packages offered, but D* offers better HD picture quality and they will offer more channels in HD over the next 2 years because of them recently launching D12 and fixing D10. :)

#8 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,432 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 19 June 2010 - 10:29 AM

Perceived price difference is pretty much it.

Forget "better" hardware. The average customer knows nothing about that. Forget "better" SD PQ quality. Again, average customer doesn't care that much. A lot of it comes down to people who want "cable in the sky" (not a knock, I mean the channel selection...basic channels) or their locals or more movie channels. But mostly it comes down to a preception of being cheaper.

Me, I see Dish as a PITA. More dishes, line of sight issues, complicated channel lineup (I spent a week in a Dish household two years ago and never got the hang of where the channels are...they even differ from location to location), lack of out of market sports, poorer HD PQ quality.

But I am a geek and check all this out.

Edit to add: I also think Dish is a regional thing to some extent. I drive through some areas and see a cluster of Dish dishes. I leave that up to local retailers (storefront installers other than BB or the like, rural antenna installers with Dish connections). That will push people locally. Own a farm in south central PA? My local antenna guy will give me a deal on Dish!
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#9 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 10:36 AM

What does Dish have that DirecTV doesn't have?

Hmmm...pending lawsuits for blatant patent infringement, the impending removing of DVR's from customers homes, HD-Lite, multiple dish requirements, a habit of launching new channels on satellites many customers are unable to pick up before upgrading their equipment, a history of channel disputes, and a distant second place reputation.
DTV = Digital Television

#10 OFFLINE   BKC

BKC

Icon

• Banned User
  • 682 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 10:50 AM

Dish has pretty good audio.....

#11 OFFLINE   drpjr

drpjr

Icon

• Registered
  • 722 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 12:13 PM

E* uses a much prettier gray paint on their dish than D*. :rolleyes:;)
HR34/HR24-500/Mits WD73C8
HR20-100 HR24-500//Samsung UN55F6350AF
SWiM Network w/MRV
AT&T 2Wire Gateway Modem/Router

#12 OFFLINE   jasonblair

jasonblair

Icon

• Registered
  • 548 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 12:32 PM

Terre Haute locals... for the time being

#13 OFFLINE   ans2004

ans2004

Mentor

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 01:35 PM

I am a movie guy, however i will not switch to dish just for that. I like the fulltime rsn's. they have good shows on when games aint being played. Also, next week we get some more movie channels in hd. Some old and some new. new are HBO ZONE, STARZ CINEMA, SHOWTIME WOMEN, SHOWTIME BEYOND, SHOWTIME NEXT, THE MOVIE CHANNEL XTRA. old are HBO 2, STARZ IN BLACK, ENCORE. i am excited for these channels. i also know that we patience comes reward. i am sure we will get many other new channels this year.

#14 ONLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,973 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 19 June 2010 - 01:38 PM

E* uses a much prettier gray paint on their dish than D*. :rolleyes:;)

With all those multiple dish setup's they need to try to make them look prettier. ;)

I know Dish is moving to a single dish setup but here in Austin I'm still seeing new installs going in with two dish's.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#15 OFFLINE   Glen_D

Glen_D

Legend

• Registered
  • 201 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 04:08 PM

I think one thing Dish has that DirecTV doesn't is a better deal for the customer looking for a basic setup with a programming package that includes just the basic popular channels.

For example, Dish offers AT120 w/o locals currently for $34.99/month, after expiration of promotional pricing. If you are already getting your locals with an OTA antenna, you don't need to pay the extra $5/month for locals. With the "Free HD for LIfe" promotion, you can get HD channels included at no additional cost, if you want. Depending on what model receiver you get, you could turn it into a DVR for a one time setup fee of $40 + cost of an external hard drive.

Isn't DirecTV's Choice package something like $54-55/month now?

#16 OFFLINE   freerein100

freerein100

Legend

• Registered
  • 132 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 04:25 PM

A co-worker has Dish* and they just launched locals. he has an eastern arc dish, the installer said he needs a second dish for locals but the only acceptable signal is where his dish 500 was which is 200 ft from his main dish, installer said it can't be done so no locals for him and he is not happy

#17 OFFLINE   espnjason

espnjason

Armchair Referee

• Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 04:45 PM

I know someone that has Dish primarily because he was told that DirecTV is for sports fans.

And he made a money commitment over that?
I swear, some people never look at the whole picture.

----------------
From what I understood, E* has more "niche" PPV plus a broader scope of international and multiplex channels, although I don't care for either.
I still hope D* can pull through and get HBO Comedy. That's the one channel I am truly missing.

#18 OFFLINE   tgater

tgater

Godfather

• Registered
  • 266 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 08:12 PM

My sister in law has E* becuase just the basics are less than D*'s. However she might as well have rabbit ears.

#19 OFFLINE   camo

camo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 477 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 09:15 PM

You don't get the audio drop outs with Dish in HD. That's a plus as I watch ESPNU HD.
And you get a better selection of movie premiums with Dish.
Everything else Direct is better. The 722 receivers with Dish were actually slow at times. I went through two hard drives in 2 years but Dish customer service was good if you could understand them.
If Direct would fix their on going audio problems it would win hands down for the sports programming I lean toward.
If they don't, I'll migrate back to Dish after next year when they go full time in HD on RSN's .

2-HR24-500
SWM Slimline Dish, MRV Ethernet, media share
70" Sharp AQUOS LC70LE640U
55"LG LH90, 47"JVC LCD's 32" Vizio plasma.
Onkyo SR876 SR receiver

#20 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,432 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 19 June 2010 - 09:16 PM

My sister in law has E* becuase just the basics are less than D*'s. However she might as well have rabbit ears.

Hence my comment about "cable in the sky."
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

spam firewall