Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Netflix via MediaShare?

setup

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   EricRobins

EricRobins

Godfather

• Registered
  • 463 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 09:43 AM

Is there anyway to stream Netflix via MediaShare? Does TVersity provide this?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,945 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 19 June 2010 - 11:04 AM

Tversity doesn't support Netflix, but Playon ($$) does.

Recently I have been using a Samsung Blu-ray player for most of my media sharing, including Netflix.

#3 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 03:16 PM

Yea, you can via PlayOn but frankly you'll be much better off just getting a Roku box or similar (or many Bluray players have it built in now too). Netflix is built into pretty much everything but the microwave these days and you'll be much happier then thru PlayOn to the DirecTV receiver.

#4 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 10:42 AM

Yea, you can via PlayOn but frankly you'll be much better off just getting a Roku box or similar (or many Bluray players have it built in now too). Netflix is built into pretty much everything but the microwave these days and you'll be much happier then thru PlayOn to the DirecTV receiver.

I use a Roku but I love the idea about the microwave.

#5 OFFLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,378 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 10:46 AM

Some Samsung refrigerators have built in WiFi, don't know if they support Netflix:)
HR20-700(2.0TB)>Sony XBR-55HX929
HR20-700>Sony KDL40V2500
OTA RS outdoor ant
Hardwire networked to Cysco Router 6.0 AT&T DSL
MRV enabled
R15-500>Samsung LNT2342H
DirecTV customer since 1997

#6 OFFLINE   MISpat

MISpat

Legend

• Registered
  • 210 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 01:59 PM

The Blu Ray player's interface is nicer and doesn't require you to have a computer running, but the PlayOn software gives you the advantage of being able to record from Netlix to a VCR or DVD recorder. I can't speak for the Roku device, but my Blu Ray player blocks analog recordings.
Patrick

Dish type – SWM3 LNB, 2 HR24-500, H23-600, Whole Home w/ broadband DECA (CCK)

#7 OFFLINE   itzme

itzme

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,534 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 02:04 PM

I'm out of HDMI inputs. Does any Netflix set-up let you use the HRs Mediashare? I'm guessing the bitrate governor prevents that.

#8 OFFLINE   Yog-Sothoth

Yog-Sothoth

Legend

• Registered
  • 102 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 02:10 PM

I'm out of HDMI inputs.

Get this.
HR21-700 | HR23-700 (2) | H24-700
DECA MRV setup, including one module connected to a WAP/switch (for PS3 and Xbox 360) and another connected directly to a Slingbox

#9 OFFLINE   itzme

itzme

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,534 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 02:15 PM

Get this.

Nah, I'll be upgrading the tv soon enough. I already have 7 various devices in the rack. I've managed to get all on 1 universal remote (all ir) plus the wii controller.

#10 OFFLINE   MISpat

MISpat

Legend

• Registered
  • 210 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 02:16 PM

I'm out of HDMI inputs. Does any Netflix set-up let you use the HRs Mediashare? I'm guessing the bitrate governor prevents that.

Yes, PlayOn software allows you to stream Netflix, Hulu, Youtube, and practically anything that's available on the internet via your HD-DVR! I've downloaded plugins for Comedy Central, MLB.com, SpikeTV, etc etc. They even have plugins for port sites :lol:
Patrick

#11 OFFLINE   Yog-Sothoth

Yog-Sothoth

Legend

• Registered
  • 102 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 02:32 PM

I was about to try PlayOn myself, but noticed that it doesn't yet have HD support. :(
HR21-700 | HR23-700 (2) | H24-700
DECA MRV setup, including one module connected to a WAP/switch (for PS3 and Xbox 360) and another connected directly to a Slingbox

#12 OFFLINE   MISpat

MISpat

Legend

• Registered
  • 210 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 02:49 PM

I was about to try PlayOn myself, but noticed that it doesn't yet have HD support. :(

Do you see that on their website? I ask because I've been streaming the HD versions of TV episodes via Hulu and Netflix just fine. While it doesn't look like picture perfect HD, it does look REALLY REALLY good!!!

Does anyone know if the ROKU box streams a full HD signal from netflix?
Patrick

#13 OFFLINE   itzme

itzme

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,534 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 03:18 PM

Yes, PlayOn software allows you to stream Netflix, Hulu, Youtube, and practically anything that's available on the internet via your HD-DVR! I've downloaded plugins for Comedy Central, MLB.com, SpikeTV, etc etc. They even have plugins for port sites :lol:

I've been considering Playon for awhile. Do you use the HR's Mediashare GUI? Do you have trickplay ability? Able to stream high bit rate dvd archives on my network?

#14 OFFLINE   gully_foyle

gully_foyle

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 20 June 2010 - 03:55 PM

Do you see that on their website? I ask because I've been streaming the HD versions of TV episodes via Hulu and Netflix just fine. While it doesn't look like picture perfect HD, it does look REALLY REALLY good!!!

Does anyone know if the ROKU box streams a full HD signal from netflix?

Roku is 720p in all cases. How well it does that depends on your connection. A 4Mb DSL might be a bit marginal, but a 15Mb Cable modem works just dandy.

I have the WD HD Live networked video box and like it a LOT -- great UI and it plays everything I throw at it. Word is that a new version (WD HD Live Plus or some such) is just coming out, which adds Netflix and other streaming to the mix. If I didn't already have a Roku box, I'd consider upgrading.
DirecTV since 1994 // 2014Q2 Setup here

#15 OFFLINE   JimV

JimV

Legend

• Registered
  • 115 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 04:11 PM

Playon does work but the Wii interface is waaay better. Its a real mess using the DVR and playon in my opinion.
Samsung 46" LCDTV - LN46A550 - HR23-100 / DECA2 / CCK
Onkyo Receiver TX-SR608
Polk Audio 5.1 Speakers
- - - - - -
Olevia 323v and HR21-
- - - -
Old Receivers: R15-100, R15-500, HR21-0700, H20
Customer since 2001

#16 OFFLINE   itzme

itzme

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,534 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 04:26 PM

Jim, could I please ask you to elaborate on the issues that make it a mess? Just bullet points. Thanks!

#17 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 05:56 PM

Jim, could I please ask you to elaborate on the issues that make it a mess? Just bullet points. Thanks!

No FFW or RRW...pretty much the biggest issue.

It is not HD. It is transcoded. So the quality is obviously a bit worse then the original.

I'll be honest, when MediaShare first launched I thought it was the greatest thing. But then I found out how cruddy it really was compared to so many other options out there, especially a HTPC. If it's your only option then rock on. But there are better options out there and some that don't cost that much either.

#18 OFFLINE   itzme

itzme

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,534 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 06:06 PM

No FFW or RRW...pretty much the biggest issue.

It is not HD. It is transcoded. So the quality is obviously a bit worse then the original.

I'll be honest, when MediaShare first launched I thought it was the greatest thing. But then I found out how cruddy it really was compared to so many other options out there, especially a HTPC. If it's your only option then rock on. But there are better options out there and some that don't cost that much either.

Thanks. That's what I suspected from my research to date. For some reason I have high hopes for google tv having decent mediashare. And I'll likely end up waiting until September to upgrade our tv, soooo... we'll see.

#19 OFFLINE   MISpat

MISpat

Legend

• Registered
  • 210 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 07:23 PM

I've been considering Playon for awhile. Do you use the HR's Mediashare GUI? Do you have trickplay ability? Able to stream high bit rate dvd archives on my network?

Yes I do. But if I'm streaming from Netflix and not wanting to record it to my DVD recorder, I use the Blu Ray player instead because like bonscott87 said, Mediashare won't let you rewind or fast forward for some reason. (It does let you pause however) Like a few others have said, for streaming video from the internet, there are better options available. But it is certainly nice being able to do it without adding another device of some sort to your entertainment center.

And yes, you can also use it to stream DVDs ripped to your computer's hard drive. The downside is that you have to play each VOB file individually... sorta like if you worked in a movie theater and had to change reels :lol: It does look like you're watching the original DVD though. I'm not sure what other devices will let you do this, but I bet some of them do.
Patrick

#20 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,945 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 20 June 2010 - 08:18 PM

Yes I do. But if I'm streaming from Netflix and not wanting to record it to my DVD recorder, I use the Blu Ray player instead because like bonscott87 said, Mediashare won't let you rewind or fast forward for some reason. (It does let you pause however) Like a few others have said, for streaming video from the internet, there are better options available. But it is certainly nice being able to do it without adding another device of some sort to your entertainment center.

You can only pause for a short time (the length of the buffer?)

And yes, you can also use it to stream DVDs ripped to your computer's hard drive. The downside is that you have to play each VOB file individually... sorta like if you worked in a movie theater and had to change reels :lol: It does look like you're watching the original DVD though. I'm not sure what other devices will let you do this, but I bet some of them do.

Try Handbrake, which will take the VIDEO_TS folder and combine everything into one file.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: setup

spam firewall