Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Netflix via MediaShare?

setup

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Yog-Sothoth

Yog-Sothoth

Legend

• Registered
  • 102 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 07:29 AM

Do you see that on their website?

I read it on their support forums (a lot of complaining), and it is in their FAQ:

When will you support HD videos on Hulu, CBS, and Netflix?

We are working on this. Keep in mind that this will require a beefy quad-core PC to handle the realtime transcoding of HD content.

HR21-700 | HR23-700 (2) | H24-700
DECA MRV setup, including one module connected to a WAP/switch (for PS3 and Xbox 360) and another connected directly to a Slingbox

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   rahlquist

rahlquist

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 12:58 PM

I read it on their support forums (a lot of complaining), and it is in their FAQ:

No sure I would be swallowing that. My Mediatomb server running on an old P4D with 4G ram on the fly transcodes h.264 to Mpeg2 to try to playback on HR2X but the HR2X chokes on it. While its transcoding there is less than 60% cpu use.

#23 OFFLINE   rahlquist

rahlquist

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 01:09 PM

No FFW or RRW...pretty much the biggest issue.

It is not HD. It is transcoded. So the quality is obviously a bit worse then the original.

I'll be honest, when MediaShare first launched I thought it was the greatest thing. But then I found out how cruddy it really was compared to so many other options out there, especially a HTPC. If it's your only option then rock on. But there are better options out there and some that don't cost that much either.

I have to agree. Hopefully MediaShare gets some attention soon or I recon a media center PC is in my future....

#24 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 01:40 PM

Roku is 720p in all cases. How well it does that depends on your connection. A 4Mb DSL might be a bit marginal, but a 15Mb Cable modem works just dandy.

I have the WD HD Live networked video box and like it a LOT -- great UI and it plays everything I throw at it. Word is that a new version (WD HD Live Plus or some such) is just coming out, which adds Netflix and other streaming to the mix. If I didn't already have a Roku box, I'd consider upgrading.

I have the WDTV Live Plus with Netflix. I paid $119 + S&H at Newegg

Pros decent interface
can FF or Frev or pause
Nicer dealing with USB drives.
Just like the WDTV Live it also works with a NAS drive and networks to the computer.

Cons Netflix seems to be oversubscribed for the streaming service. Sunday night 9:30PM could not get anything, later on I could but it was slower starting than weeknights.

Edited by TBoneit, 21 June 2010 - 01:42 PM.
Additional content

Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#25 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 05:39 PM

I have to agree. Hopefully MediaShare gets some attention soon or I recon a media center PC is in my future....

An HTPC is really the way to go as there isn't anything you can't do with it. It is our entire entertainment world from HD OTA DVR to Netflix to Hulu to Boxee to Bluray to ripped Bluray/DVDs to just about anything under the sun including ESPN3 and what not. Worth a look and you can build a really nice system for under $500 easy. Check the HTPC forum at AVS.

#26 OFFLINE   EricRobins

EricRobins

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 463 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 11:24 AM

OP here:

I do have a HTPC, however, the WAF makes it a non-starter, unless I am there to do it. The HTPC is not a dedicated machine, as the kids and I use it for other purposes as well. Running through the HR20 would be the easiest.

My biggest issue is that using Win7, I have to manually change the audio outputs from the "speakers" normal desktop output to the "digital output". Unfortunately, my VideoCard only has DVI out, so audio is separate. I do not know how to get the audio to play out of both the analog and digital ports simlultaneously.

I also tried Netflix via the HTPC last night and there was no DD. Is this for all streaming from Netflix or was it (1) the specific movie (Moon) and/or (2) due to bandwith issues?

#27 OFFLINE   redfiver

redfiver

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 560 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 11:25 AM

OP here:

I do have a HTPC, however, the WAF makes it a non-starter, unless I am there to do it. The HTPC is not a dedicated machine, as the kids and I use it for other purposes as well. Running through the HR20 would be the easiest.

My biggest issue is that using Win7, I have to manually change the audio outputs from the "speakers" normal desktop output to the "digital output". Unfortunately, my VideoCard only has DVI out, so audio is separate. I do not know how to get the audio to play out of both the analog and digital ports simlultaneously.

I also tried Netflix via the HTPC last night and there was no DD. Is this for all streaming from Netflix or was it (1) the specific movie (Moon) and/or (2) due to bandwith issues?

Netflix doesn't stream Dolby Digital sound, yet.
Outside: Slimline AU-9, SWM-8

Inside: HR20(2), H20-100(1), Sony SAT-T60(1), Sony Bravia 55" LCD HDTV, Onkyo Receiver with HDMI Switching, Wii

#28 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 12:02 PM

FWIW, most blu-ray players stream netflix quite well these days and aren't much more expensive than a Roku or other dedicated streaming device. In fact, I sold my old blu-ray players and picked up several refurb netflix streaming blu-ray players on ebay for $30-$50 each so I can stream in any room in the house (also got some for family and friends). Heck, even xbox, PS3 and Wii all stream just fine. The only thing I have to use my HTPC for now is streaming hulu and abc. So my advice to the OP is quit fighting D*'s crappy media share and dealing with an HTPC and just get a box that's designed for the job and does it well.

#29 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,621 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 22 June 2010 - 02:48 PM

FWIW, I LOOOOOOVVVVEEEEE my Roku. It does Netflix, it does Amazon, it does MLB.tv, it does Pandora, it does You Tube, it does a whole lot of stuff and more coming all the time.

All for a hundred bucks give or take (depending on model) plus whatever fees the provider like Netflix has (if any).

The interface is super simple. The gadget is reliable and the PQ is reasonably good. (And the box itself is pretty small.)

Other implementations I have seen (Tivo and Playon through mediashare) don't hold a candle to the Roku. Roku's abilities are a big reason why I did not keep my Tivo when I changed internet and cable from Comcast to Fios.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: setup

Protected By... spam firewall...And...