Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

EchoStar, Earthlink Announce Strategic Marketing Alliance

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
19 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   John Corn

John Corn

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,046 posts

Posted 19 April 2002 - 11:20 AM

April 19, 2002-- EchoStar Communications Corporation and EarthLink, one of the nation's largest Internet Service Providers (ISPs), today announced a strategic marketing alliance that will combine EchoStar's DISH Network digital satellite television offerings with EarthLink's DSL Internet access to provide consumers with a convenient and competitively priced satellite television/Internet access package.

The agreement calls for EchoStar to offer bundled service packages through DISH Network sales efforts and through DISH Network's nationwide network of retailers. Consumers who take advantage of the bundled services will receive credits of up to $10 on monthly service charges for a package of EarthLink DSL Internet and DISH Network satellite television programming. DISH Network expects to begin offering EarthLink DSL service late this summer.

DISH Network is also planning to offer a next-generation satellite TV set-top box this spring that combines the capabilities of DSL broadband and satellite television to deliver video on demand and other advanced services for DISH Network satellite TV customers.

Full Story
Have a Great Day! :) :flag:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   John Corn

John Corn

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,046 posts

Posted 19 April 2002 - 11:58 AM

Whats the theory behind these recent DSL alliances?
Maybe there afraid the merger is going to fall through and there trying to better position themselves?

#3 OFFLINE   AllieVi

AllieVi

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,530 posts

Posted 19 April 2002 - 01:18 PM

Originally posted by John Corn
Whats the theory behind these recent DSL alliances?
Maybe there afraid the merger is going to fall through and there trying to better position themselves?

I suspect that Charlie has come to recognize the shortcomings of a satellite-based broadband product (i.e., Starband) based on available technology and is making other arrangements. People simply aren't willing to pay the going rate for the service, let alone pay what would be necessary to cover the actual costs.

I'd really like to see satellite broadband succeed since it's probably the only way I'll get high-speed access to the Internet any time soon. Unfortunately, dial-up at something less than 56k is still my best choice. Others apparently agree.
AllieVi

For good reason, I never criticize someone until I've walked a mile in their shoes. If they don't like what I say, what're they gonna' do? I'm a mile away. And they have no shoes!

#4 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 19 April 2002 - 03:20 PM

Since Earthlink is a big supporter of the "Church" of Scientology I wish Dish had found someone else to link up with.

#5 OFFLINE   MarkA

MarkA

God Bless America!

• Gold Members
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 19 April 2002 - 04:11 PM

Really Rking? That concerns me alot. More details and proof please.

#6 OFFLINE   psecic

psecic

AllStar

• Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 19 April 2002 - 04:43 PM

Originally posted by AllieVi

I suspect that Charlie has come to recognize the shortcomings of a satellite-based broadband product (i.e., Starband) based on available technology and is making other arrangements. People simply aren't willing to pay the going rate for the service, let alone pay what would be necessary to cover the actual costs.

I'd really like to see satellite broadband succeed since it's probably the only way I'll get high-speed access to the Internet any time soon. Unfortunately, dial-up at something less than 56k is still my best choice. Others apparently agree.

I find that hard to beleive.

#7 OFFLINE   psecic

psecic

AllStar

• Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 19 April 2002 - 04:49 PM

Originally posted by AllieVi

being from Montana I would guess you're in favor of the merger. Otherwise there is not much of a chance that you'll get high speed Internet service anytime soon.

#8 OFFLINE   MarkA

MarkA

God Bless America!

• Gold Members
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 19 April 2002 - 04:58 PM

The person you quoted was from California. AFAIK, I'm the only one from Montana who posts here. So I'll answer. Yes, but not for that reason. Satellite internet is no good. I'll go with DSL if I ever decide to get high-speed internet. Or cable if it ever becomes available. It is in every other major town in the state except the one I live in:(

#9 OFFLINE   AllieVi

AllieVi

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,530 posts

Posted 19 April 2002 - 05:36 PM

Originally posted by psecic

I find that hard to beleive.

You weren't specific about what you found hard to believe, so I'm not sure how to respond.

I considered Starband in its early days and wanted to be one of their beta testers. I didn't, though, since I was busy and didn't have the time to play with it. I did regularly visit a newsgroup of Starband users and read a lot of information that convinced me that their system was not ready for prime time. The initial investment is high and the monthly charges are steep, too. Charlie invested a lot of money in them ($50 million as I recall) and has written off most if not all of that investment. I read recently that he also pulled the plug on DISH participation in WildBlue, another satellite-based broadband venture.

I realize that DirecTV offers broadband access via its DirectWay (or some such name), but have heard that its limitations are similar to Starband's.

I'd like to have broadband, but live beyond the maximum distance from the phone company's central office that would allow DSL (it's about 5 miles away in my rural area). The cable company that serves my area isn't offering broadband yet, either.

Hard to believe - what do you mean?
AllieVi

For good reason, I never criticize someone until I've walked a mile in their shoes. If they don't like what I say, what're they gonna' do? I'm a mile away. And they have no shoes!

#10 OFFLINE   gcutler

gcutler

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,435 posts

Posted 19 April 2002 - 07:24 PM

Since I already have DSL thru Earthlink ($50/month) and I have Dish AT150 and HBO/SHO/STARZ, and Locals (bill worth around $80/month) I wonder if I will be able to get some kind of discount out of them without having to jump thru hoops???

#11 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 19 April 2002 - 07:47 PM

Really Rking? That concerns me alot. More details and proof please

It was on the internet, it has to be true. Numerous articles have been published about the early connections of Earthlink, it's founders, it's investors and Scientology. Some are below. Consider the sources in all cases. Posted in no particular order.

http://www.lermanet....atikin51102.htm
http://www.thestanda...902,436,00.html
http://www.rickross....y/Scien149.html
http://www.rickross....y/scien304.html
http://www.rickross....y/scien312.html
http://www.salon.com...0/09/18/dayton/
http://www.scientolo...hillip_gale.htm

#12 OFFLINE   Jacob S

Jacob S

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,657 posts

Posted 19 April 2002 - 08:40 PM

Isn't Dish teaming up with someone else to bring about another wireless internet company or to work with one at least? I remember them talking about having the two way internet on a smaller dish as well and improved as well.

I think with a lot of improvement and if they would get those in more stores, they could get the cost way down and get a LOT of customers on it. Heck, they could offer tv channel service from the internet from their internet via satellite as well I would think and attract customers that may not have gone with it before.

#13 OFFLINE   psecic

psecic

AllStar

• Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 20 April 2002 - 11:37 AM

being from Montana I would guess you're in favor of the merger. Otherwise there is not much of a chance that you'll get high speed Internet service anytime soon.

I agree that DBS Internet isn't the best now, even Charle admits it now. But now Charlie is striking DSL deals. I remember when Charlie said Echostar wouldn't make any DSL deals.

#14 OFFLINE   AllieVi

AllieVi

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,530 posts

Posted 20 April 2002 - 01:42 PM

I agree that DBS Internet isn't the best now, even Charle admits it now. But now Charlie is striking DSL deals. I remember when Charlie said Echostar wouldn't make any DSL deals.

Charlie probably regrets making such a claim, but no doubt he made it based on what he thought was possible. Reality has proven to be a bit different.

The promise of broadband is to be give us a much more satisfying internet experience. Unfortunately, it also means we transfer a LOT more data and have come to find more uses - possibly more than anyone ever anticipated. The satellite systems are simply having trouble keeping up with the required capacity and have responded by instituting a "fair access policy" to throttle usage. The policy limits the subscriber's ability to transfer data once a certain threshold is reached. Direcway's policy is at:

http://www.hns.com/d...fair_access.htm

The policy has angered a lot of people since they're paying a premium price for broadband compared to other means of access. That's the reality I mentioned in the first paragraph.
AllieVi

#15 OFFLINE   markdube

markdube

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 April 2002 - 08:27 PM

I'd like to hear anyone's thoughts on whether Earthlink Braod band (via TWC) subscribers (me) and DISH subscribers (me again) will have a snowball's chance of receoveg any benefit, such as a combined subscriber discount?

Thanks
Mark Dube
dube@mcdlaw.com

#16 OFFLINE   John Corn

John Corn

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,046 posts

Posted 20 April 2002 - 08:57 PM

Mark, I was wondering the samething. I've been considering DSL and Earthlink is what is available, I also have Dish Network.

#17 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 21 April 2002 - 12:46 AM

If they do the discount program as they did on Starband, expect a $10 discount on the DSL service with a subscription to AT150 or above.
The Pump Don't Work 'cause the Vandals Took the Handles.

#18 OFFLINE   markdube

markdube

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 April 2002 - 07:25 PM

Below is the text of an email from dish re DISH-Earthlink agreement. If you read their canned response - it doesn't really answer the questions I asked.

Sent: Wednesday, April 24, 2002 10:05 AM
Subject: RE: Billing, , 7134668718

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Saturday, April 20, 2002 7:49 PM
To: Q&A
Subject: Billing

Dear Mr. Dube,

Thank you for your email. The agreement between Earthlink and Echostar calls for EchoStar to offer bundled service packages through DISH Network sales efforts and through DISH Network's nationwide network of retailers. Consumers who take advantage of the bundled services will receive credits of up to $10 on monthly service charges for a package of EarthLink DSL Internet and DISH Network satellite television programming. DISH Network expects to begin offering EarthLink DSL service late this summer. We have no further information regarding the promotions that may be available. We encourage you to stay tuned to future Charlie Chats and Technical Forums on Channel 101 for future updates.

Your business is greatly appreciated and we thank you for allowing us to be of assistance to you. If you have any further questions or concerns, please refer to www.dishnetwork.com or reply to this email and include all previous correspondence so that we may assist you promptly.

As a current customer, you may also use our website to view your current or previous billing statements, add services, or make payments to your account. Please use the link below to launch yourself to the Dish Network Customer Support Center.

https://customersupp...ement/login.jsp

Sincerely,

Ann M.

Customer Care

DISH Network

----- Original Message -----

Full Name: Mark Dube

Account Number: 8255-

Question: I have seena press release regarding DISH and Earthlink Broadband teaming up to offer a discount if I subscribe to both. I am a current DISH customer AND a current Earthlink Broadband customer. Will I qualify for the $10 combined subscription discount?

If so, how do I "sign-up" or otherwise begin receiveing the $10 monthly discount?

Thanks,

Mark Dube
Mark Dube
dube@mcdlaw.com

#19 OFFLINE   Lightnin1

Lightnin1

DishRetailer.com Administrator/Supporter

• Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 24 April 2002 - 09:55 PM

Something that Charlie is going to find out is about 65% of his dish customers are not close enough to an RLS or cabinet to get DSL. After all, thats where DishNet was first marketed was the people out in the boondocks that didn't have a snowballs chance of getting cable. He sure as heck won't pay to have them installed either.
Visit us on the web at www.procomplus.net or www.Dishretailer.com

#20 OFFLINE   DarrellP

DarrellP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 26 April 2002 - 01:24 PM

High speed internet is just too danged expensive. I can get (& had for 6 months) cable internet & DSL, but they start at $40/month. I already have a Dish bill of $70/month and I am not about to pay any more for internet service. All I use it for at home is email anyway and visiting these forums. Who needs high speed for that?

I currently pay $11 for unlimited 56K MSN dialup service and until I can get broadband for $20/month, I'm not biting.

The broadband providers need to wake up and smell the coffee! They wonder why broadband is not taking off like they anticipated. I know why, the $$$price!! What they need to do is offer regulated bandwidth to people like me. I would pay $20/month for a fulltime 56K service.

They could offer tiered speeds and charge accordingly. Is that such a bad idea? Like DBS, you can have a little or you can have a lot.
<---- I wish she was my girlfriend. :D

spam firewall