Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DTV lied again to me...

• Please log in to reply
161 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   feeth

feeth

Legend

• Registered
  • 125 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 04:35 PM

I called to get whole house DVR access. I just installed a wired network throughout the house.

I have:
2 HD DVRs
1 HD receiver
1 SD DVR

They told me it would cost $99 and I would have to renew a 2 yr commitment as 2 of my receivers needed upgraded for the whol;e house DVR to work. I asked if they would replace the older HD receiver and the SD DVR with HD receivers and she said yes.

I asked that since I was extending my contract (that ends in Aug) by 2 years if they could waive the $99 fee. She said they could do it for $49 and that covers whatever equipment needs upgrading.

So I said ok and had the install scheduled for today.

Two installers show up with a new HD receiver and a new SD DVR. :sure: I told them that was not corrected and he double checked the work order and said this is what we have.

I told him I am not going to extend my contract by 2 years and pay $49 to have both receivers the same. All of my TVs are HD.

He calls DTV on his special # and the CSA says thats what we show too. I told her what I was told when I called and she said we can change out the SD DVR for a HD receiver, but it will cost $99 more. :mad::mad::mad:

I said no I am not going to fall for your bait and switch. If you can't make this right, cancel this deal and I will have no need for DTV after my contract is up in August.

She said ok, I will cancel this install.

She talked to one of the installers and told then the install is cancelled.

That was it.

I have my notes right in front of me. They said 2 new HD receivers and whole house DVR access, total price $52.97 w/ some tax or fee. I talked to Bridget on 6-12-10 at 3:30pm

I'm going to make one call to retention dept tomorrow, I guess if they can't fix this BS, goodbye DTV in August. :nono2:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,566 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 04:41 PM

You may also want to send an email to Ellen Filipiak with the details you just mentioned.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#3 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 04:55 PM

So, feeth, do you think they had a staff meeting the on the morning of 6/12 when the decided to lie to you, or was it a spur of the moment decision? Or did that CSR lie to everyone who called that day and you just got unlucky?

As I see it, there was a mistake. You were promised a HD DVR. They tried to give you a SD DVR. You rightfully cancelled the install because it wasn't what you wanted. I would have done the same. The difference is I would now use this an opportunity to get what you really wanted. You are now in an excellent position to get the install of an new HD DVR, a replacement HD receiver, DECA and SWiM all for free with a new two year commitment. But if you go into the call tomorrow with a "you lied to me" attitude, I'd be surprised if you get it.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#4 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 05:11 PM

So, feeth, do you think they had a staff meeting the on the morning of 6/12 when the decided to lie to you, or was it a spur of the moment decision? Or did that CSR lie to everyone who called that day and you just got unlucky?

As I see it, there was a mistake. You were promised a HD DVR. They tried to give you a SD DVR. You rightfully cancelled the install because it wasn't what you wanted. I would have done the same. The difference is I would now use this an opportunity to get what you really wanted. You are now in an excellent position to get the install of an new HD DVR, a replacement HD receiver, DECA and SWiM all for free with a new two year commitment. But if you go into the call tomorrow with a "you lied to me" attitude, I'd be surprised if you get it.

Couldn't agree more. I had the same issue, and after a couple of civil phone calls, I got my upgrade.

Mine was actually a little worse, as I didn't ask for the HD DVR upgrade, the CSR offered it unpromted. Either way, I got my upgrade and all is well. No harm, no foul.

#5 OFFLINE   johns70

johns70

Legend

• Registered
  • 200 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 01:02 AM

It kills when people say - DIRECTV LIED TO ME !!

Yep, that's their new business model - lie to the customers.

#6 OFFLINE   KoRn

KoRn

Legend

• Registered
  • 258 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 01:16 AM

I would just cancel and not renew. Screw that having to go the extra mile for yourself. Sad thing is big company's like this. They do no care if you leave. Lose 1 gain 1 is their attitude. :nono2: Sorry if I sound bitter towards Directv. It really just irritates me to hear a story like this when it could be resolved so easily.

#7 OFFLINE   xmetalx

xmetalx

Godfather

• Registered
  • 289 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 02:04 AM

Love the hyperbole here.

Clarification: Yes, you were misinformed by the initial agent. Was this the entire company intentionally "lying" to you with a "bait and switch"? NO. Should the agent be disciplined and corrected? Absolutely.

The Whole Home DVR upgrade offer only replaces/upgrades COMPATIBLE receivers. If you have an SD/SDDVR, it will NOT be upgraded to MRV compatible as part of this offer. YOu would have to pay the regular price for said upgrade.
DirecTV employee since 2008
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.

There's no place like ~/

#8 OFFLINE   dtvmike1652

dtvmike1652

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 04:33 AM

Yes this post is correct. Some agents just haven't caught on that it doesn't replace existing receivers with ones that are mrv capable but it replaces them with SWM compatible receivers. To upgrade those other 2 receivers depending on account status would have been at least another $99 for both or possibly could have gotten one of them for free. If you want all of your televisions call and replace the order and pay the additional receivers like everyone else would have to. So as a few have all ready said Directv didn't lie to you just the agent gave out misinformation maybe because she didn't understand what's involved in replacing those existing receivers.

#9 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 06:09 AM

It kills when people say - DIRECTV LIED TO ME !!

Yep, that's their new business model - lie to the customers.

Technically you are correct. "DirecTV" didn't lie to him but the CSR misinformed him. This was due to improper training and/or a rep who doesn't do their job properly.

HOWEVER, as every CSR is taught "YOU represent the company," YOU are the person the customer is speaking with," YOU will take the "blame" for any issues. "YOU (the CSR) shouldn't take it personally when I customer is irate and blames you for a problem."

What this means is that the rep "IS" DirecTV. The ARE "the Company."

Therefore "DirecTV lied to him." Right or wrong, that is the "customer experience." We can rationalize it any way we want but the "front person" between the customer and the company is the under paid, poorly trained, highly abused CSR. They ARE DirecTV.

#10 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,546 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 20 June 2010 - 06:27 AM

Technically you are correct. "DirecTV" didn't lie to him but the CSR misinformed him. This was due to improper training and/or a rep who doesn't do their job properly.

There still is an assumption in what you are saying. It is very possible that the CSR told him exactly what was intended and just misentered the data into the order.

If you go to a restaurant and you ask for the salad dressing on the side and they put it on the salad by mistake, did they misinform you or did they just make a mistake?
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#11 OFFLINE   pfp

pfp

Whatever

• Registered
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 06:45 AM

HOWEVER, as every CSR is taught "YOU represent the company," YOU are the person the customer is speaking with," YOU will take the "blame" for any issues. "YOU (the CSR) shouldn't take it personally when I customer is irate and blames you for a problem."

What this means is that the rep "IS" DirecTV. The ARE "the Company."

Therefore "DirecTV lied to him." Right or wrong, that is the "customer experience." We can rationalize it any way we want but the "front person" between the customer and the company is the under paid, poorly trained, highly abused CSR. They ARE DirecTV.

agree 100%
I do, I offer a complete and utter retraction. The imputation was totally without basis in fact, and was in no way fair comment, and was motivated purely by malice, and I deeply regret any distress that my comments may have caused you, or your family, and I hereby undertake not to repeat any such slander at any time in the future.

#12 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 07:03 AM

Have I had a CSR tell me something that I knew was completely untrue? Yes. Was it because they were lying to me? No. Lying implies saying one thing while knowing another thing is true. That was not the case. They believed what they told me was the truth. They were just wrong. Posted Image

But then, I doubt I'll win this arguement with the OP. The title of this thread is DTV lied again to me... Which means they've lied to him in the past. I bet they'll lie to him in the future.

#13 OFFLINE   linuspbmo

linuspbmo

AllStar

• Registered
  • 125 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 07:45 AM

Have I had a CSR tell me something that I knew was completely untrue? Yes. Was it because they were lying to me? No. Lying implies saying one thing while knowing another thing is true. That was not the case. They believed what they told me was the truth. They were just wrong. Posted Image

But then, I doubt I'll win this arguement with the OP. The title of this thread is DTV lied again to me... Which means they've lied to him in the past. I bet they'll lie to him in the future.

I wonder what percentage of your 2500 plus posts are for helpful advice and how many are for defending DTV no matter what?

#14 OFFLINE   raoul5788

raoul5788

• Registered
  • 1,481 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 07:50 AM

I wonder what percentage of your 2500 plus posts are for helpful advice and how many are for defending DTV no matter what?

His post doesn't sound like he is defending Directv, not to me anyway. In fact, he says that what the csr told the op is wrong.

#15 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 07:56 AM

I wonder what percentage of your 2500 plus posts are <snip> for defending DTV no matter what?

All.

#16 OFFLINE   lflorack

lflorack

Godfather

• Registered
  • 472 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 08:49 AM

Matter of 'slant' I guess. I think he said that the CSR was indeed wrong but then he made the correct distinction between being them being 'wrong' and 'lying.' Lying indicates intent while being wrong does not.
Links: My System Diagram | System Pix
Yamaha RX-A2010, Samsung UN55B8000, AppleTV, Roku3, Yamaha CDC-685, Oppo BDP-93
Klipsch: (2) RF-83's, (1) RC-64, (2) RVX-54's, (2) RSX-5's
SVS: (1) SB13-Ultra
See links above for additional system details.

#17 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 08:56 AM

There still is an assumption in what you are saying. It is very possible that the CSR told him exactly what was intended and just misentered the data into the order.

If you go to a restaurant and you ask for the salad dressing on the side and they put it on the salad by mistake, did they misinform you or did they just make a mistake?

It doesn't matter what the cause of the problem was, the bottom line is "the restaurant" f'd up. Whether is was an accident, on purpose, with malice or without. It is THE RESTAURANT that had the problem. That's where you went to eat and that's whose name is on your credit card.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but the perception of the customer is "I went to eat at Joe's, it didn't go right so my experience was unsatisfactory so Joe's sucks. Doesn't matter why. Honest error, lousy CSR (waitress), Joes just ain't good.

Right or wrong that's how the mind works.

#18 OFFLINE   dcandmc

dcandmc

Legend

• Registered
  • 279 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 09:00 AM

Matter of 'slant' I guess. I think he said that the CSR was indeed wrong but then he made the correct distinction between being them being 'wrong' and 'lying.' Lying indicates intent while being wrong does not.

Bingo.

#19 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,546 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 20 June 2010 - 09:01 AM

It doesn't matter what the cause of the problem was, the bottom line is "the restaurant" f'd up. Whether is was an accident, on purpose, with malice or without. It is THE RESTAURANT that had the problem. That's where you went to eat and that's whose name is on your credit card.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but the perception of the customer is "I went to eat at Joe's, it didn't go right so my experience was unsatisfactory so Joe's sucks. Doesn't matter why. Honest error, lousy CSR (waitress), Joes just ain't good.

Right or wrong that's how the mind works.

Nope. It is most definitely different. If a restaurant or anyone makes a mistake, you forgive them. If they make repeated mistakes, you say they are incompetent and you may not go back.

They LIE to you, you don't forgive them. Lying is not a mistake. It is not accidental, it is deliberate.

The customer who does not attempt to see beyond "that experience sucked" is only hurting themselves.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#20 OFFLINE   Newshawk

Newshawk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 09:02 AM

Ah, I see what your problem is. You think that, since other web sites on the internet are solely devoted to bashing the company that is the focus of the web site that DBSTalk is just one big DirecTV "bitch session" where everyone complains about the company and passes around ways to screw said company over. If that's the case, I think you want the other "guys". Over here, we are people who are passionate about DirecTV, but not in a 100% negative way. (Oh, and there are those here who are as passionate about Dish as we are about DirecTV-they're just in a different section of the forum.)

Does this meant we don't think DirecTV makes mistakes? No.
Does this mean we don't call them out on said mistakes? No.
Does this mean we think DirecTV is "evil"? No.
Does this mean we think DirecTV is perfect? No.
Does this mean we think DirecTV is a company made of of fallible human beings who are sometimes misinformed or desirous of avoiding conflict and misstate, mislead and cause problems? Yes.

Of course, you are welcome to have and express your own opinion.

DIRECTV employee April 2004-November 2012.
The above comments are my own because I don't know if anyone would care about my opinions anymore.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...