Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DTV lied again to me...

• Please log in to reply
161 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   David MacLeod

David MacLeod

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 09:06 AM

seems to be happening more and more though, whether its due to lack of training or lack of professionalism it does not matter.
when a customer is told through the only point of contact they have that item A will be replaced with item B then that is exactly what needs to happen.
if the CSR is wrong, it does not matter. thats a CSR issue, they need to step up to the game or step out.
the constant ineptitude of the CSR's is putting a strain notonly on customer relations but also on the installers who have to deal with the customer personally.
Dave MacLeod
S.I.H.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   raoul5788

raoul5788

• Registered
  • 1,481 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 09:25 AM

Ah, I see what your problem is. You think that, since other web sites on the internet are solely devoted to bashing the company that is the focus of the web site that DBSTalk is just one big DirecTV "bitch session" where everyone complains about the company and passes around ways to screw said company over. If that's the case, I think you want the other "guys". Over here, we are people who are passionate about DirecTV, but not in a 100% negative way. (Oh, and there are those here who are as passionate about Dish as we are about DirecTV-they're just in a different section of the forum.)

If your post is a veiled reference to satelliteguys, I disagree. As a member of both boards, I can assure you there is plenty of Directv bashing and fawning over there, too. dbstalk is better for the information side of Directv, and satelliteguys leans toward a big town meeting format where discussions tend to wander, sometimes by design! Both serve their purpose quite well, IMHO.

#23 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,860 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 20 June 2010 - 09:28 AM

Technically you are correct. "DirecTV" didn't lie to him but the CSR misinformed him. This was due to improper training and/or a rep who doesn't do their job properly.

HOWEVER, as every CSR is taught "YOU represent the company," YOU are the person the customer is speaking with," YOU will take the "blame" for any issues. "YOU (the CSR) shouldn't take it personally when I customer is irate and blames you for a problem."

What this means is that the rep "IS" DirecTV. The ARE "the Company."

Therefore "DirecTV lied to him." Right or wrong, that is the "customer experience." We can rationalize it any way we want but the "front person" between the customer and the company is the under paid, poorly trained, highly abused CSR. They ARE DirecTV.

Perverse logic, if I ever have seen it. Lying requires intent to deceive, not merely ignorance, incompetence or carelessness.

If one doesn't know for a fact that the CSR (and by association, D*), intended to misinform, deceive or misrepresent, then they weren't "lying". So let's stop using the word "lie".

They definitely screwed up. That's a fact. It's fixable, that's also a fact. The rest (i.e., alleged lying) is hyperbolic hand-waving/ hand-wringing.

Anyone having dealt with D* CSRs has learned about their capabilities, read as: all over the map. Where do you think the term CSR roulette came from? It's lamentable, it's unfortunate, but it is what it has been and most likely will be. How's that for existential vaporware?:)

In short, lying has nothing to do with it, and is just an angry way of expressing frustration, hopefully leading to some sort of favorable resolution of the problem. ...and it rarely works.

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#24 OFFLINE   David MacLeod

David MacLeod

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 09:33 AM

I gotta admit I think there is some deliberate lying lately. they get paid to make the sale and I think many do know what they offer is not correct. and since the installer on scene is the person who has to deal with it there are not enough repercussions to make the practice monetarily disadvantageous to the csr.
Dave MacLeod
S.I.H.

#25 OFFLINE   csterno

csterno

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 09:37 AM

Something similar happened to me. The CSR who took the order said I was eligible for FREE receiver upgrades when I signed up for MRV (I had 2 HD dvrs that would work and 2 SD receivers that needed to be upgraded). I confirmed with the CSR that when it was done I would be able to watch my DVR content on all 4 receivers, Yes was the answer. When the installer came he said that he had new receivers to replace the SD receivers but they weren't HD, so they wouldn't work with the MRV. Basically the two DVR's could see each other but that was it. Once they come out they can't change the equipment order and he said it happens all the time because the CSR's don't really know what equipment is needed to make it all work. The installer told me to call in and they should take care of the problem though they will ask you to pay for the receivers. He said be persistent and it should be ok.

I called in and got transferred to someone who said that they were sorry but it would be $99 for a HD receiver. I said no way, the CSR said that MRV would be working on all tv's when the installer left. Who went and checked and said that I was eligible for a free HD receiver. I said that's great but I need 2. He said he couldn't do that but was able to use a loophole with the premium channels so essentially I got the second HD receiver for $24 plus shipping ($20). So I ended up with 2 H24's for $44.

I don't think the original CSR was intentionally lying, I just don't think they totally know what's required. Probably the same in this situation.

#26 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,860 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 20 June 2010 - 09:55 AM

I gotta admit I think there is some deliberate lying lately. they get paid to make the sale and I think many do know what they offer is not correct. and since the installer on scene is the person who has to deal with it there are not enough repercussions to make the practice monetarily disadvantageous to the csr.

"thinking" someone may be lying and blatantly smearing their character in public by accusing them of same, are two different things. Discretion is the better part of valor, even though some of the drama is lost.:)

It is always better to assume the most charitable of explanations for "misinformation", when confronted with these kinds of problems. It certainly lowers one's blood pressure.:)

I can't tell you the number of times I have been faced with retail electronics sales people who say the most absurd things when trying to explain something (be it policy or how a device works), because they feel they are on the spot, or because they just don't know any better and that is how they have operated throughout their lives. They just blurt out the first thing that comes to mind, because that's what they have always done, or to escape the discomfort of not knowing what the hell they are doing. They are not lying, they are escaping or merely on auto-pilot. They don't even have the immediate awareness to evaluate whether what they are saying is accurate or not, they are just hasty, or want out of an uncomfortable situation.

They aren't lying most of the time, rather, they are either clueless or actually desperate!

The relationships are not reciprocal. Most misinformation is not lying, while all lying is misinformation. It's all about intent, which is very difficult to discern, and the evil of which one should reserve for the most egregious of situations. One should not just plop out there this accusation for every mistake that underpaid, under qualified regular joes and janes lost in the sea of a technology driven retail business, make.

...hasan, N0AN

DirecTV since 1995

#27 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,648 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 10:09 AM

I called to get whole house DVR access. I just installed a wired network throughout the house.

I have:
2 HD DVRs
1 HD receiver
1 SD DVR

They told me it would cost $99 and I would have to renew a 2 yr commitment as 2 of my receivers needed upgraded for the whol;e house DVR to work. I asked if they would replace the older HD receiver and the SD DVR with HD receivers and she said yes.

I asked that since I was extending my contract (that ends in Aug) by 2 years if they could waive the $99 fee. She said they could do it for $49 and that covers whatever equipment needs upgrading.

So I said ok and had the install scheduled for today.

Two installers show up with a new HD receiver and a new SD DVR. :sure: I told them that was not corrected and he double checked the work order and said this is what we have.

I told him I am not going to extend my contract by 2 years and pay $49 to have both receivers the same. All of my TVs are HD.

He calls DTV on his special # and the CSA says thats what we show too. I told her what I was told when I called and she said we can change out the SD DVR for a HD receiver, but it will cost $99 more. :mad::mad::mad:

I said no I am not going to fall for your bait and switch. If you can't make this right, cancel this deal and I will have no need for DTV after my contract is up in August.

She said ok, I will cancel this install.

She talked to one of the installers and told then the install is cancelled.

That was it.

I have my notes right in front of me. They said 2 new HD receivers and whole house DVR access, total price $52.97 w/ some tax or fee. I talked to Bridget on 6-12-10 at 3:30pm

I'm going to make one call to retention dept tomorrow, I guess if they can't fix this BS, goodbye DTV in August. :nono2:

It's only 2 months away and then you can find a provider that you like. Life's too short to be unhappy. I would probably pay the $40 and leave now if I was that unhappy.
I tried to get MRV installed twice and they brought the wrong equipment so I canceled the installation. Not a big deal to me though.

#28 OFFLINE   David MacLeod

David MacLeod

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 10:40 AM

not knowing and making something up to cover lack of knowledge is lying.
Dave MacLeod
S.I.H.

#29 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 20 June 2010 - 10:47 AM

I would just cancel and not renew. Screw that having to go the extra mile for yourself. Sad thing is big company's like this. They do no care if you leave. Lose 1 gain 1 is their attitude. :nono2: Sorry if I sound bitter towards Directv. It really just irritates me to hear a story like this when it could be resolved so easily.

Those that don't go the extra mile often end up bitter in many circumstances. In a perfect world this would not be a problem, but we don't live in a perfect world. I'm sure that every TV provider will irritate folks that just take what is dished out. This also carries over to retail and other service industries.

It's a rare find these days to get a company that meets the full goal of your statement here. And don't forget, there are also customers who do their best to take advantage of a situation and often lie themselves .. so in some cases, not being customer oriented is the right choice. The latter of course is not a large percentage, as I believe most people try to be honest .. but it does happen.

So, speaking generally about DIRECTV, I think that they do (overall) a good job. But I, too, have to take the initiative at times to make things happen in a way that I find satisfactory. This, to me, is not a problem. Just part of doing business with any company.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#30 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,229 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 20 June 2010 - 12:11 PM

I've talked to a couple CSR's who were absolutely clueless about Sonic Tap channels, but most of my CSR experiences have been rewarding. A calm voice and the use of "please" once in a while helps.

What really surprised me was one CSR saying "I don't know" in response to my question and then offering to put me on hold briefly while she looked for the answer. She found it, answered me, and all was well. :D

I tried to call last week about a billing problem and couldn't reach a CSR for over 20 minutes. I gave up and sent a message through the web site "contact us" address. I was pleasantly surprised to get a good answer back in less than two hours.
Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#31 OFFLINE   xmetalx

xmetalx

Godfather

• Registered
  • 289 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 12:53 PM

Erm, CSR's do NOT get any kind of incentive or bonus for simply ordering equipment upgrades..
DirecTV employee since 2008
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.

There's no place like ~/

#32 OFFLINE   Barcthespark

Barcthespark

Godfather

• Registered
  • 368 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 02:22 PM

It doesn't really matter if it is lying or incompetency, because the end result is the same; the customer gets put through the ringer.

#33 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 03:39 PM

prove that they made something up to cover lack of knowledge, misinformation is not making something up.

Sorry CSR posts are hillarious, you only see what the poster wants you to see and it is slated in such a way that it makes the poster look as if they are the injuried party no matter what actually happened.

My business has a contract to cover CS support for a couple of online games, would love to be allowed to post the actual transcript or recording of a csr call in the thread that the player posted their version of it to show the truth of what actually happened, alas we cannot do that, but we do have a lovely time rolling on the floor laughing at the claims

#34 OFFLINE   bixler

bixler

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,252 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 03:53 PM

It kills when people say - DIRECTV LIED TO ME !!

Yep, that's their new business model - lie to the customers.

LOL...Everytime I see the word LIE in this forum I have to wonder if the poster missed that day of English class when the definition was learned.

I doubt the CSR knew she wasn't telling you truth. It was a mistake, not a LIE.
Slimline5.....SWM 8.....SWS-8 8 way splitter
PI feeds SWS-8 splitter and HR 21-100 in Media Room 0x62c 3:59am 12/18/12
SWS-8 splitter feeds HR 22-100 in Family Room 0x62c 3:59am 12/18/12 wireless ethernet connection via Linksys WET610N
SWS-8 splitter feeds HR 22-100 in Master Bedroom 0x62c 3:59am 12/18/12
SWS-8 splitter feeds H 21-100 in Guest Bedroom 0x45d2 3:27am 6/27/12

#35 OFFLINE   bixler

bixler

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,252 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 03:57 PM

What? A lie is when a KNOWN untruth is expressed as truth. If you lack knowledge in something how can you lie about it?? How would you know what you were saying wasn't the truth if you didn't have knowledge in the subject?
Slimline5.....SWM 8.....SWS-8 8 way splitter
PI feeds SWS-8 splitter and HR 21-100 in Media Room 0x62c 3:59am 12/18/12
SWS-8 splitter feeds HR 22-100 in Family Room 0x62c 3:59am 12/18/12 wireless ethernet connection via Linksys WET610N
SWS-8 splitter feeds HR 22-100 in Master Bedroom 0x62c 3:59am 12/18/12
SWS-8 splitter feeds H 21-100 in Guest Bedroom 0x45d2 3:27am 6/27/12

#36 OFFLINE   David MacLeod

David MacLeod

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 04:16 PM

guys are friggin unbelievable.
the authority figure for a customer is the csr, so what they say is supposed to be the truth from a customer standpoint.
if they don't know and make something up to cover the lack of knowledge in order to placate the customer its lying.
a lie of omission is still a lie.
a lie due to stupidity is still a lie.
a lie due to ineptitude is still a lie.
a lie due to ego is a lie also and in these cases causes ripples on down the chain.
Dave MacLeod
S.I.H.

#37 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 05:29 PM

the authority figure for a customer is the csr, so what they say is supposed to be the truth from a customer standpoint.
if they don't know and make something up to cover the lack of knowledge in order to placate the customer its lying.
a lie due to ego is a lie also and in these cases causes ripples on down the chain.

...so basically everything is a lie in your book. Got it. :rolleyes: What may pass for a lie in your eyes, may not always be what a lie actually is.

It was a mistake, plain and simple. A simple mistake which can be easily resolved. Let's hope cooler heads prevail in this case. Rhetoric and hyperbole are often unnecessary.
DTV = Digital Television

#38 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,860 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 20 June 2010 - 05:30 PM

All, except perhaps one of those definitions are patently false, unless they include the element of intention to deceive (which covering to placate, might). A lie must include an intention to deceive, and using your definitions in public could well produce an unfortunate run-in with the legal system.

You, of course, are free to believe whatever you like, but the legal requirement for something to be a "lie" is the element of intent. You may not like the definition, but that's what it is....and calling people liars, unnecessarily, is not flattering to anyone.

Everything said about the untoward results of misinformation is absolutely true. I don't dispute that at all. I do object to smearing someone's character whimsically, and publicly when it is neither necessary nor accurate.

...hasan, N0AN

DirecTV since 1995

#39 OFFLINE   cfkane

cfkane

AllStar

• Registered
  • 63 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 06:07 PM

I do not think the CSR lied. It was a mistake. I do think that D* should give the guy exactly what he was promised by the CSR. If you order a steak at an eatery and it is not right, most places comp your meal. D* should take the loss on this because it is what the CSR promised assuming that what the OP stated is what happened.

#40 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 06:37 PM

...so basically everything is a lie in your book. Got it. :rolleyes: What may pass for a lie in your eyes, may not always be what a lie actually is.

It was a mistake, plain and simple. A simple mistake which can be easily resolved. Let's hope cooler heads prevail in this case. Rhetoric and hyperbole are often unnecessary.

Amen.

I have been on the floor with these people and it is a TOUGH TOUGH TOUGH job. I'm not making excuses, just telling you like it is. Certainly D* (or E* or any other company) expects these folks to be at the top of their game. An agent can handle hundreds of calls in a day and not have any one be the same because the scenarios are so different. Now, certainly most calls fit into a similar "genre" but not always.

Think about what a CSR has to be able to grasp

Billing
Technical (SD, HD, hardware questions, broadband questions)
Programming
Sports blackouts (having been in the sports business for over a decade, this at times even stumps the experts)
Scheduling installs
Suspends, late payments, customers moving, hardware upgrades, programming upgrades and downgrades

Etc, etc.

I tip my hat to these people. A very difficult job. It's unfortunate the thread starter felt he was lied to. More than likely a mistake was made.
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

Protected By... spam firewall...And...