Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DTV lied again to me...

• Please log in to reply
161 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   jpitlick

jpitlick

Icon

• Registered
  • 580 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 08:43 AM

Couldn't this whole situation have been avoided by the OP activating MRV unsupported since he mentioned that he just installed a wired network in his house?

HR20-700 attached via HDMI to an Onkyo TX-SR605S connected via HDMI to a Sony KDF-42WE655 42" Grand Vega Rear Projection LCD
H21-100 attached via HDMI to Sceptre X246W-1080P 24" LCD and attached via S-Video to Windows 7 PC w/Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1600
HR22-100 attached via HDMI to a ProScan 32LB30Q 32" LCD
SWM-8/STS-4
SlimLine Dish w/SL5 LNB
All receviers connected to gigabit switches and 25/25 Mbps FiOS

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#52 OFFLINE   evan_s

evan_s

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 08:43 AM

It's a new process and unfortunately your first CSR clearly didn't understand what is covered by an upgrade order. Older HD receivers (h20's have no Ethernet and need to replaced with a h21+) and Sd units do need to be upgraded to SWiM capable units but will not be automatically upgraded to HD or DVR's. That is an additional item.

#53 OFFLINE   paulsown

paulsown

Legend

• Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 09:40 AM

Another thread proving why this forum is ROCKETING towards obscurity.

Defend, defend, defend. It was just a mistake or the OP's fault is the common answer.

The CSR's lie and everyone here knows it. They have goals to hit and that is one way they can do it. Anyone who does not think this is true is just blind.

2.5 pages of blame (the OP is wrong or expects to much) and excuses that the CSR's are "just people and make mistakes". And then wonder why the OP does not come back?

Amazing. Simply amazing.

#54 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,617 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 09:47 AM

Defend, defend, defend. It was just a mistake or the OP's fault is the common answer.

The CSR's lie and everyone here knows it. They have goals to hit and that is one way they can do it. Anyone who does not think this is true is just blind.

2.5 pages of blame (the OP is wrong or expects to much) and excuses that the CSR's are "just people and make mistakes". And then wonder why the OP does not come back?

Amazing. Simply amazing.

I'm sorry we couldn't twist the facts to give a more proper answer. :lol: Please provide a list of these goals you speak of to validate your claims.
DTV = Digital Television

#55 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,269 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 21 June 2010 - 10:14 AM

Amazing. Simply amazing.

Directv is a bunch of liars; you're right, OP!

Is that the response you want on this topic, paulsown? :rolleyes:
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#56 OFFLINE   ctpd845

ctpd845

Mentor

• Registered
  • 51 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 10:20 AM

Amazing. Simply amazing.

I sure would like to see the proof you must have to show that the CSR's lie. I guess I must be blind like most on this forum then.

#57 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,838 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 10:24 AM

I don't think most CSRs lie but an awful lot of them are misinformed.

And I think that customers are human too, make mistakes, and are often denied the sympathy by some forum members that CSRs easily receive.

Equipment includes a buncha stuff that I no longer have interest in detailing

#58 OFFLINE   evan_s

evan_s

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 11:13 AM

Amazing. Simply amazing.

Having worked in call centers incompetence/ignorance is a much more likely scenario than malice or intentional deception. Sure it still sucks to get wrong information but it happens.

#59 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,880 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 21 June 2010 - 11:40 AM

Amazing. Simply amazing.

Blah. Blah. Blah.

Aren't you the one who just two of your posts ago (way back in July) basically called for DirecTV's demise because some postal worker saw a lot of return boxes to DirecTV?

Now who has the agenda?
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#60 OFFLINE   rahlquist

rahlquist

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 11:55 AM

No, I don't know it. As the husband of a former CSR I have to disagree. Yes there are quite a few who are ignorant, mostly those who treat it as a 9-5 job and just don't want to provide excellent service but just want to get by. I do not think there is any outright lying going on. As for the goals the only goal that could have possibly been a part of this mistake was the goal relating to call time. Period. Unless the rep tried to upsell something and didn't mange that but a SD DVR is hardly an upsell in this case.

The only person who can resolve this is the OP. It sounds as if the second CSR read back the notes from the initial call and confirmed what the original CAR entered, wrong or right. This again is another fault of DirecTV and how they handle their hardware (see you thought I was an apologist). I as a customer should be able to go online and select specific hardware for my specific needs even if it costs a premium. I should also be able to see my work orders along with any hardware recommended for that truck roll or be emailed this information within 1 hour of scheduling. That way I can verify work orders like this are right BEFORE it costs me and D* time and them a good deal of money.

In all likelyhood the problem here was that the CSR didnt correctly understand the OP's request, or they miss keyed something. There is no benefit to the original CSR to send the wrong hardware. When dealing with D* in the past one invaluable thing I have found is once a call is completed you can do a couple things. One, if the CSR did a good job ask to talk to their supervisor so that you can leave positive feedback about the service you received and while you have the supervisor on the phone ask them to review the call notes with you to 'make sure you were justified in your praise'. The alternative is after you get off the phone, invest another small block of your time and call back, in 99.9999% of all cases you will get a different CSR and ask them to read the notes back to you.

Amazing. Simply amazing.

The OP is definitely not at fault. And hopefully some of the feedback here will provide them with some valuable tools. I know I myself have had to run things up the tree before and even had to go the Ellen Filipiack route one time. When I'd reached the end of my rope I reached out and D* helped. They will help to make it right, if you let them.

#61 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,381 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 21 June 2010 - 12:29 PM

guys are friggin unbelievable.
the authority figure for a customer is the csr, so what they say is supposed to be the truth from a customer standpoint.
if they don't know and make something up to cover the lack of knowledge in order to placate the customer its lying.
a lie of omission is still a lie.
a lie due to stupidity is still a lie.
a lie due to ineptitude is still a lie.
a lie due to ego is a lie also and in these cases causes ripples on down the chain.

A response of "I don't know but I'll find out," which I got from one CSR, would go a long way to resolve misinformation or as the politicians say "I mis-spoke.":nono2:
Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#62 OFFLINE   loveshockey

loveshockey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 380 posts
  • LocationLancaster, NY

Posted 21 June 2010 - 12:40 PM

Sports blackouts (having been in the sports business for over a decade, this at times even stumps the experts)

Time to get some new experts..it's really NOT THAT TOUGH....

#63 OFFLINE   xmetalx

xmetalx

Godfather

• Registered
  • 289 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 01:14 PM

Totally off. I've said it before. CSR's DO NOT get any kind of bonus or sales incentive for equipment. They do not have 'goals to hit' for equipment at all. Please don't randomly spout off information that you don't even know for a fact.
DirecTV employee since 2008
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.

There's no place like ~/

#64 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• Registered
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 01:32 PM

Phrases like "everyone knows it" and "anyone who doesn't think this" are trigger phrases for me. I don't care is it is over something as basic as the sun rising in the east, you can't lump all people into a single catagory, period.

It's like the comic who says "let me be serious" or the saleman who says "honestly". They immediately tell me the opposite is about to happen.

No, everyone doesn't know that and I, for one, don't think it, paulsown.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#65 OFFLINE   paulsown

paulsown

Legend

• Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 02:08 PM

Yup, you got my agenda all right.

Directv sucks. Purchased equipment with them years ago and used the service for YEARS and would have been one of the cheerleaders here chanting the line....

Left because I thought the grass was greener somewhere else. After a short time, came back to Directv. The company has changed TREMENDOUSLY. Been lied to, had family lied to (very, very similar to the OP's current problem of ordering equipment at an agreed price and getting far less equipment and told that they need to pay more for the agreed equipment). I know a lot of people who have had these types of problems recently but are stuck in contracts

I started to think about the current model that Directv uses...you pay for equipment that you do not own. Directv installs it using their providers, if the install is botched, the customer is responsible for the costs to repair. If the equipment fails, the customer pays to get equipment that works that they still do not own. Plus, a continually extending agreement so that you can't leave and nickle and dime increases to the bill EVERY YEAR.

Not to mention free software testing by a forum full of people who attack anybody who says anything negative about the company, even those who have genuine problems and are just upset. I feel bad for those that come here for help and never post again because of the backlash, which is supposedly some type of "proof" to those that attack them that the OP realized that they were....... wrong, I guess? Not sure.

#66 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,269 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 21 June 2010 - 02:12 PM

Yada yada yada

Posted Image
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#67 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,617 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 02:12 PM

Well now that we're clear on that...
DTV = Digital Television

#68 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,880 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 21 June 2010 - 02:13 PM

Directv sucks. Purchased equipment with them years ago and used the service for YEARS and would have been one of the cheerleaders here chanting the line....

Left because I thought the grass was greener somewhere else. After a short time, came back to Directv. The company has changed TREMENDOUSLY. Been lied to, had family lied to (very, very similar to the OP's current problem of ordering equipment at an agreed price and getting far less equipment and told that they need to pay more for the agreed equipment). I know a lot of people who have had these types of problems recently but are stuck in contracts

I started to think about the current model that Directv uses...you pay for equipment that you do not own. Directv installs it using their providers, if the install is botched, the customer is responsible for the costs to repair. If the equipment fails, the customer pays to get equipment that works that they still do not own. Plus, a continually extending agreement so that you can't leave and nickle and dime increases to the bill EVERY YEAR.

Not to mention free software testing by a forum full of people who attack anybody who says anything negative about the company, even those who have genuine problems and are just upset. I feel bad for those that come here for help and never post again because of the backlash, which is supposedly some type of "proof" to those that attack them that the OP realized that they were....... wrong, I guess? Not sure.

Why thank you for enlightening all of us who have very little problems. have had good interactions and support. Now I know that the system Ihave been using flawlessly for 15 years and have had nothing but smooth service calls and interactions with the CSRs has been lying to me all along. Gee, I had better dump them because, of course they have been lying to me.

Go away. You feel you have been wronged and only come here to enlighten us. By your own admission, you are not a customer anymore so you cannot provide any help or input.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#69 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,617 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 02:16 PM

Why thank you for enlightening all of us who have very little problems. have had good interactions and support. Now I know that the system Ihave been using flawlessly for 15 years and have had nothing but smooth service calls and interactions with the CSRs has been lying to me all along. Gee, I had better dump them because, of course they have been lying to me.

Go away. You feel you have been wronged and only come here to enlighten us. By your own admission, you are not a customer anymore so you cannot provide any help or input.

I think he came back to DirecTV, but hates the company. Some people enjoy paying for punishment I guess.
DTV = Digital Television

#70 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• Registered
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 02:25 PM

I started to think about the current model that Directv uses...you pay for equipment that you do not own. Directv installs it using their providers,

Yes and yes.

if the install is botched, the customer is responsible for the costs to repair.

There is a 90 day warranty on installations, which should cover botched jobs.

If the equipment fails, the customer pays to get equipment that works that they still do not own.

$20 for shipping both ways, even without the protection plan.

Plus, a continually extending agreement so that you can't leave and nickle and dime increases to the bill EVERY YEAR.

As long as you don't change your hardware, the commitment is for 24 months and then ceases. And please find me a cable company that doesn't raise its rates yearly.

Yeah, you've got nailed, paulsown. :rolleyes:

#71 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• Registered
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 02:27 PM

I think he came back to DirecTV, but hates the company. Some people enjoy paying for punishment I guess.

Suffering makes one stronger. He'll be better for this.

I'm glad DirecTV can make you a better, more resilient person, paulsown. Maybe you should write them a letter of thank-you. :grin:

#72 OFFLINE   davidatl14

davidatl14

Icon

• Registered
  • 549 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 02:28 PM

ETF's be damned.

Life is far too short to let your choice of TV Provider ruin not only your day but seemingly a good part of your life.

Vote with your wallet. If you are bitter and upset constantly, Change providers immediately.

If finances are cut so short that you can't do that, then probably some other things contributing to the General state of unhappiness.

I'm very happy with DirecTV been with them since inception.

I also understand people here in this forum have some legitimate complaints with various problems with DirecTV.

I would hope that a couple of calls would get you pointed in the right direction and headed toward a resolution that is good for the customer and provider.

If not though I don't understand not voting with your wallet.

Let me add I do understand some people were working when they set up their accounts and have since possibly lost a job and may have to have downgraded or possibly suspend their services.

No malice intended toward the latter group.
May The Best of Your Past be the Worst of Your Future!

#73 OFFLINE   john18

john18

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 983 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 02:31 PM

Paulsown,

To be personally honest I don't view myself as a cheerleader even though I am, and have been from the beginning, a CE software tester. Have I ever received wrong information from a D* CSR's? Yep. Have I ever had an installation issue? Yep.

You freely state that you left because you thought the pasture was greener elsewhere, yet you came back. So may I infer that the pasture was not as green as you expected?

If you lease a car do you make an initial payment for a vehicle even though you don't own it? If so isn't that payment substantially less than what you would pay if you purchased the car outright? Isn't D* the same in that context?

If D*'s installers botch an installation won't D* correct any problem within a reasonable timeframe if they are informed of the problem(s)? Doesn't D* offer an extended maintenance plan that will cover any problems that occur in the future? Isn't that substantially the same as an extended warranty on a new car or other consumer item?

Also, I am not aware of the continually extending contracts that you mention. If you don't upgrade your equipment the contract is only for two years. If you pay for the maintenance plan any replacement to existing malfunctioning equipment, that is not an upgrade, does not extend a contract. For example my HR-20 and my HR-22 are now outside their two-year commitment and if they were to fail, since I have a the maintenance plan, I would get a similar unit without extending my commitment.

I guess the thing that aggravated me most about your factually questionable post is the blanket criticism you made to the folks who belong to the Cutting Edge, the very folks who have spent many hours testing and evaluating potential improvements that benefit the vast majority of owners who have no idea that we even exist. If we are cheerleaders, which I categorically reject, I haven't received my uniform or pom-poms.

#74 OFFLINE   paulsown

paulsown

Legend

• Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 02:36 PM

Love it....

"I have been with Directv for xx years and I know they are the best because i have not used anybody else for years and they allow me to purchase their stuff!!!"

Blind.

90 days obviuously does not help all of those on here. Not to mention those that have problems that exist but do not manifest themselves until well after the installation.

$20 shipping does not cover the cost of the equipment. And the equipment rarely lasts 24 months, so if you want the service you are obligated to pay for, you have no choice but to extend your commitment.

Suffered through a number of failing boxes and lost signals and I am now Directv free! The windows 7 computers that are connected to my TV's have proven to be more reliable than the Directv boxes I can watch OTA even when it rains (simply amazing). No longer paying for punishment.

An Tonyd79, I am sorry to interrupt your utopia. I will go away when I am ready.

#75 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• Registered
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 02:39 PM

Please don't leave. You are entertaining.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...