Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DTV lied again to me...

• Please log in to reply
161 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   cariera

cariera

Icon

• Registered
  • 862 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 08:15 PM

I do not think the CSR lied. It was a mistake. I do think that D* should give the guy exactly what he was promised by the CSR. If you order a steak at an eatery and it is not right, most places comp your meal. D* should take the loss on this because it is what the CSR promised assuming that what the OP stated is what happened.

An error was made, that is obvious. The OP wanted equipment installed for one purpose, an order was placed that was incorrect. There is not a person on this forum who hasn't made an error.

The error did not cost the OP any $$, he wasn't erroneously put into a new agreement, there are no financial damages that he incurred or will incur other than his time.

So pleae get over the "world owes me a living" mentality and get the problem fixed. Order the correct equipment, pay the price and move on.:)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 09:12 PM

Perverse logic, if I ever have seen it. Lying requires intent to deceive, not merely ignorance, incompetence or carelessness.

If one doesn't know for a fact that the CSR (and by association, D*), intended to misinform, deceive or misrepresent, then they weren't "lying". So let's stop using the word "lie".

They definitely screwed up. That's a fact. It's fixable, that's also a fact. The rest (i.e., alleged lying) is hyperbolic hand-waving/ hand-wringing.

Anyone having dealt with D* CSRs has learned about their capabilities, read as: all over the map. Where do you think the term CSR roulette came from? It's lamentable, it's unfortunate, but it is what it has been and most likely will be. How's that for existential vaporware?:)

In short, lying has nothing to do with it, and is just an angry way of expressing frustration, hopefully leading to some sort of favorable resolution of the problem. ...and it rarely works.

The point was that whether they are lying, mistaken, mistrained or whatever it is DirecTV that is to be blamed because the CSR ***IS*** DirecTV as far as the CUSTOMER is concerned. "Th CSR was wrong" is a totally meaningless statement. Since the CSR is a representative of DirecTV, RIGHT OR WRONG it is DirecTV that is wrong. I trained CSR's for 3 years and the #1 rule is YOU ARE THE COMPANY. As per my original message you'd see that whether they were lying or misinformed doesn't matter.

#43 OFFLINE   cfkane

cfkane

AllStar

• Registered
  • 63 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 10:38 PM

An error was made, that is obvious. The OP wanted equipment installed for one purpose, an order was placed that was incorrect. There is not a person on this forum who hasn't made an error.

The error did not cost the OP any $$, he wasn't erroneously put into a new agreement, there are no financial damages that he incurred or will incur other than his time.

So pleae get over the "world owes me a living" mentality and get the problem fixed. Order the correct equipment, pay the price and move on.:)

I do not mean to say that "The world owes me" anything. I just think that it is good business practice to honor the promise made when possible even if it was in error. D* should at least give him free premiums for 3 months (or something similar) for any inconvenience caused by the non-install that resulted from the error. I know I have taken time out of work for D* installs in the past. If I did not get the install due to a D* error, I am out of $$ from work. this is not a swipe at CSR's, I understand we all make mistakes and I understand that the work very hard.

#44 OFFLINE   johns70

johns70

Legend

• Registered
  • 200 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 11:14 PM

I wouldn't run around saying RED LOBSTER LIED TO ME !! :mad: just because I asked - Can I get the salad dressing on the side ? The waitress said - Yes, and when the salad came out the dressing was already on the salad.

Even if I had really bad service on one visit I wouldn't claim the entire organization was terrible. I'd probably not go to that particular location again for a while.

#45 OFFLINE   Billzebub

Billzebub

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 543 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 21 June 2010 - 03:45 AM

I had just the opposite experience when I ordered whole house DVR service. I had an HR22, an R22 and an R15. I expected that the R15 would be changed to an R16 in order for the SWM to work.
I was aware that it wouldn't work in the DECA cloud. Besides, I already had an HR24 on order from Solid Signal and would use it to replace the R15 or 16 when it was delivered.
Instead, the CSR insisted on upgrading me to a high definition receiver so the whole house DVR would work everywhere. When I explained I would be replacing it within a week, he said, no problems just deactivate it and return it.
My problem was the system didn't recognize that my R22 would work as a High Def DVR. He solved this by changing it into an HR22 in the system. Of course, I'm now having a hard time getting it changed back.

I really like what DIRECTV has to offer in the way of services and channels, but I agree with Doug that you have to be proactive to make sure things get done correctly. Maybe it’s just my age showing or my desperate need to control situations, but I’m like that with most companies I deal with.

When my whole house DVR was installed I had the same problem many others had, no broadband DECA available. It took quite some time and a couple of phone calls but the TECH finally connected me to my network with a regular DECA. The hardest part of that conversation was to make sure I wasn’t insulting the Tech because I had a little knowledge that he didn’t have.

I just think you really need to be prepared when dealing with CSR’s or Techs because these are not the type of jobs people typically hold for 20 years and gain experience. They come and go and the knowledge they acquire goes with them.

Of course you might say that you aren’t responsible for educating DIRECTV’s staff and that’s true. But if you don’t plenty of things can go wrong. Because of the stuff I’ve learned from this board I’ve managed to avoid most of the common problems people have seen with DIRECTV. I’ve learned to track my boxes when I return them, check my account online after a CSR tells me they have made changes and take the various other safeguards that make my interaction with them go well. So thank you everyone here for the info and help so far.

This might seem like to much bother for some, and that’s OK. But maybe you need a provider that does the basics better. If so, I suspect you’ll be losing out on some really unique and forward looking services.

#46 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,537 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 21 June 2010 - 04:12 AM

I called to get whole house DVR access. I just installed a wired network throughout the house.

I have:
2 HD DVRs
1 HD receiver
1 SD DVR

They told me it would cost $99 and I would have to renew a 2 yr commitment as 2 of my receivers needed upgraded for the whol;e house DVR to work. I asked if they would replace the older HD receiver and the SD DVR with HD receivers and she said yes.

I asked that since I was extending my contract (that ends in Aug) by 2 years if they could waive the $99 fee. She said they could do it for $49 and that covers whatever equipment needs upgrading.

So I said ok and had the install scheduled for today.

Two installers show up with a new HD receiver and a new SD DVR. :sure: I told them that was not corrected and he double checked the work order and said this is what we have.

I told him I am not going to extend my contract by 2 years and pay $49 to have both receivers the same. All of my TVs are HD.

He calls DTV on his special # and the CSA says thats what we show too. I told her what I was told when I called and she said we can change out the SD DVR for a HD receiver, but it will cost $99 more. :mad::mad::mad:

I said no I am not going to fall for your bait and switch. If you can't make this right, cancel this deal and I will have no need for DTV after my contract is up in August.

She said ok, I will cancel this install.

She talked to one of the installers and told then the install is cancelled.

That was it.

I have my notes right in front of me. They said 2 new HD receivers and whole house DVR access, total price $52.97 w/ some tax or fee. I talked to Bridget on 6-12-10 at 3:30pm

I'm going to make one call to retention dept tomorrow, I guess if they can't fix this BS, goodbye DTV in August. :nono2:

Better to say someone is "mistaken" then to accuse them of "lying". It's a more polite way of doing business.

#47 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 04:31 AM

guys are friggin unbelievable.
the authority figure for a customer is the csr, so what they say is supposed to be the truth from a customer standpoint.
if they don't know and make something up to cover the lack of knowledge in order to placate the customer its lying.
a lie of omission is still a lie.
a lie due to stupidity is still a lie.
a lie due to ineptitude is still a lie.
a lie due to ego is a lie also and in these cases causes ripples on down the chain.

So basicly every one that opens their mouth to say something or hold a discussion is lying by your definition - interesting

#48 OFFLINE   HerntDawg

HerntDawg

Legend

• Registered
  • 242 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 21 June 2010 - 06:30 AM

sooo, the OP still has no thought.

#49 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 06:59 AM

sooo, the OP still has no thought.

Long gone.

#50 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,273 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 21 June 2010 - 08:27 AM

Long gone.

He is "lie-ing" low.

:D
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#51 OFFLINE   jpitlick

jpitlick

Icon

• Registered
  • 580 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 08:43 AM

Couldn't this whole situation have been avoided by the OP activating MRV unsupported since he mentioned that he just installed a wired network in his house?

HR20-700 attached via HDMI to an Onkyo TX-SR605S connected via HDMI to a Sony KDF-42WE655 42" Grand Vega Rear Projection LCD
H21-100 attached via HDMI to Sceptre X246W-1080P 24" LCD and attached via S-Video to Windows 7 PC w/Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1600
HR22-100 attached via HDMI to a ProScan 32LB30Q 32" LCD
SWM-8/STS-4
SlimLine Dish w/SL5 LNB
All receviers connected to gigabit switches and 25/25 Mbps FiOS

#52 OFFLINE   evan_s

evan_s

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 08:43 AM

It's a new process and unfortunately your first CSR clearly didn't understand what is covered by an upgrade order. Older HD receivers (h20's have no Ethernet and need to replaced with a h21+) and Sd units do need to be upgraded to SWiM capable units but will not be automatically upgraded to HD or DVR's. That is an additional item.

#53 OFFLINE   paulsown

paulsown

Legend

• Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 09:40 AM

Another thread proving why this forum is ROCKETING towards obscurity.

Defend, defend, defend. It was just a mistake or the OP's fault is the common answer.

The CSR's lie and everyone here knows it. They have goals to hit and that is one way they can do it. Anyone who does not think this is true is just blind.

2.5 pages of blame (the OP is wrong or expects to much) and excuses that the CSR's are "just people and make mistakes". And then wonder why the OP does not come back?

Amazing. Simply amazing.

#54 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 09:47 AM

Defend, defend, defend. It was just a mistake or the OP's fault is the common answer.

The CSR's lie and everyone here knows it. They have goals to hit and that is one way they can do it. Anyone who does not think this is true is just blind.

2.5 pages of blame (the OP is wrong or expects to much) and excuses that the CSR's are "just people and make mistakes". And then wonder why the OP does not come back?

Amazing. Simply amazing.

I'm sorry we couldn't twist the facts to give a more proper answer. :lol: Please provide a list of these goals you speak of to validate your claims.
DTV = Digital Television

#55 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,839 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 21 June 2010 - 10:14 AM

Amazing. Simply amazing.

Directv is a bunch of liars; you're right, OP!

Is that the response you want on this topic, paulsown? :rolleyes:
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#56 OFFLINE   ctpd845

ctpd845

Mentor

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 10:20 AM

Amazing. Simply amazing.

I sure would like to see the proof you must have to show that the CSR's lie. I guess I must be blind like most on this forum then.

#57 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,832 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 10:24 AM

I don't think most CSRs lie but an awful lot of them are misinformed.

And I think that customers are human too, make mistakes, and are often denied the sympathy by some forum members that CSRs easily receive.

Equipment includes a buncha stuff that I no longer have interest in detailing

#58 OFFLINE   evan_s

evan_s

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 11:13 AM

Amazing. Simply amazing.

Having worked in call centers incompetence/ignorance is a much more likely scenario than malice or intentional deception. Sure it still sucks to get wrong information but it happens.

#59 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,273 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 21 June 2010 - 11:40 AM

Amazing. Simply amazing.

Blah. Blah. Blah.

Aren't you the one who just two of your posts ago (way back in July) basically called for DirecTV's demise because some postal worker saw a lot of return boxes to DirecTV?

Now who has the agenda?
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#60 OFFLINE   rahlquist

rahlquist

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 11:55 AM

No, I don't know it. As the husband of a former CSR I have to disagree. Yes there are quite a few who are ignorant, mostly those who treat it as a 9-5 job and just don't want to provide excellent service but just want to get by. I do not think there is any outright lying going on. As for the goals the only goal that could have possibly been a part of this mistake was the goal relating to call time. Period. Unless the rep tried to upsell something and didn't mange that but a SD DVR is hardly an upsell in this case.

The only person who can resolve this is the OP. It sounds as if the second CSR read back the notes from the initial call and confirmed what the original CAR entered, wrong or right. This again is another fault of DirecTV and how they handle their hardware (see you thought I was an apologist). I as a customer should be able to go online and select specific hardware for my specific needs even if it costs a premium. I should also be able to see my work orders along with any hardware recommended for that truck roll or be emailed this information within 1 hour of scheduling. That way I can verify work orders like this are right BEFORE it costs me and D* time and them a good deal of money.

In all likelyhood the problem here was that the CSR didnt correctly understand the OP's request, or they miss keyed something. There is no benefit to the original CSR to send the wrong hardware. When dealing with D* in the past one invaluable thing I have found is once a call is completed you can do a couple things. One, if the CSR did a good job ask to talk to their supervisor so that you can leave positive feedback about the service you received and while you have the supervisor on the phone ask them to review the call notes with you to 'make sure you were justified in your praise'. The alternative is after you get off the phone, invest another small block of your time and call back, in 99.9999% of all cases you will get a different CSR and ask them to read the notes back to you.

Amazing. Simply amazing.

The OP is definitely not at fault. And hopefully some of the feedback here will provide them with some valuable tools. I know I myself have had to run things up the tree before and even had to go the Ellen Filipiack route one time. When I'd reached the end of my rope I reached out and D* helped. They will help to make it right, if you let them.

spam firewall