Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

slinglink turbo w1

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ccauthen21

ccauthen21

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 07:22 PM

I was wondering what is the function of the slinglink Turbo w1 with dish network.

Any help would be appreciated

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 09:47 PM

A "SlingLink" is the Sling-branded version of a HomePlug adapter. HomePlug technology allows Ethernet signals to be distributed over your home's built-in power wiring. Typically, you would use a HomePlug near your home network router to get the network signals into the power lines, and then another HomePlug device near each device that you want to connect to the network and can't run an Ethernet cable to.

But... Dish's ViP-series receivers have HomePlug technology built into them already, so all you need is one HomePlug connected to your router and your ViP receivers will get the network signal through their own power cable and will be on the network.

NOTE: you must have the receivers (and the HomePlug at the router) plugged directly into the wall, as most "surge protectors" will filter out the HomePlug signals. There are HomePlug-compatible surge protectors and UPSs available.

The whole point of this exercise would be to get your Dish HD-DVR connected to the Internet, which lets you schedule/control the DVR remotely and lets you do DishOnline (Download On Demand via your Internet Connection) and order PPVs with your remote.

#3 OFFLINE   ccauthen21

ccauthen21

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 08:31 AM

Thanks for the info. It's my first time dealing with dish network.

One follow up question. If the house is wired already for Ethernet can you just use that instead?

#4 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,829 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 22 June 2010 - 09:09 AM

yes
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#5 OFFLINE   jakeh0

jakeh0

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 09:58 AM

what is the advantage of having a wip211k connected to the internet, if any?

#6 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,502 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 10:14 PM

Not much!

Replaces phone line, that's about it.
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#7 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 04:09 PM

Compared to a phone connection? *Currently*, no advantage, and you lose Caller ID. Dish is doing a lot of work to develop their online capabilities though, so you never know what might be available in the future.

Compared to no connection?

- Can order PPV via remote.
- Can use Interactive features (pay bill, change programming, etc.)
- System Health Checks (if a problem is detected, Dish is notified, and someone will call you to set up a Service Call).

Obviously, an HD-DVR gets the majority of the benefit from an Internet connection.

Commercial & Residential Satellite System Design & Installation
DirecTV, Dish Network & Free-To-Air

#8 OFFLINE   K2Quick

K2Quick

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 11:37 AM

Sorry for bumping an old thread. I just had my Dish install completed Saturday. The installer used a Slinglink Turbo W1 adapter hooked into my internet router and then just plugged my DVRs into the wall and it worked really slick. What I would like to do is connect other devices like a VOIP box, Blu-Ray player, and Tivo box through the powerlines. Some questions:

Is this as simple as plugging in another Slinglink Turbo W1 adapter in the outlet next to the device I want to connect?

Is the adapter on the receiving end different than the one plugged into my router or is there no difference (in other words, do I simply need to buy the same exact adapter as the one they plugged into my router)?

If that works, can I plug the ethernet line on the receiving end into an ethernet router and plug multiple devices in at the receiving end?

Thanks for your help.

#9 OFFLINE   coldsteel

coldsteel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 12:26 PM

If the devices are compatible, they should function simply by plugging into power. They should see the existing W1 adapter. IIRC, it handles 15+ devices.
DISH 625 dvr

The opinions posted on this site are my own and do not represent DISH Network's positions, strategies or opinions. Unless I decide to be bad or call out an idiot...

#10 OFFLINE   K2Quick

K2Quick

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 01:35 PM

If the devices are compatible, they should function simply by plugging into power. They should see the existing W1 adapter. IIRC, it handles 15+ devices.

Yeah, but I tend to think that the built-in slinglink compatability is just a Dish DVR feature. I think that if I try plugging a Panasonic blu-ray player's power cord into the wall, it's not going to get to the internet by just plugging the power in.

#11 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,829 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 16 May 2011 - 06:20 PM

Yeah, but I tend to think that the built-in slinglink compatability is just a Dish DVR feature. I think that if I try plugging a Panasonic blu-ray player's power cord into the wall, it's not going to get to the internet by just plugging the power in.

True - but you could plug the Panny's ethernet port into a similar jack and it should connect as well.

FYI - I'm using a couple of the Slinglinks to join a Linksys wireless router (being used as a WAP) to the rest of my network. Works wonderfully.
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#12 OFFLINE   K2Quick

K2Quick

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 06:42 PM

True - but you could plug the Panny's ethernet port into a similar jack and it should connect as well.

FYI - I'm using a couple of the Slinglinks to join a Linksys wireless router (being used as a WAP) to the rest of my network. Works wonderfully.

Cool - that answers my question. Thanks.

#13 OFFLINE   skydiverbill

skydiverbill

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 04:38 PM

I was wondering if you can move files to the dvr from Desktop via slinglink.

where could I find more information on how to do it.

Thankd

#14 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 04:38 PM

no.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#15 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,058 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 27 August 2011 - 10:38 PM

Compared to a phone connection? *Currently*, no advantage, and you lose Caller ID. Dish is doing a lot of work to develop their online capabilities though, so you never know what might be available in the future.

Compared to no connection?

- Can order PPV via remote.
- Can use Interactive features (pay bill, change programming, etc.)
- System Health Checks (if a problem is detected, Dish is notified, and someone will call you to set up a Service Call).

Obviously, an HD-DVR gets the majority of the benefit from an Internet connection.

Actually, that STB Health report including much more info (find my old post with a real file) - what and how long you're watched, serial numbers of DVR, MAC addresses of linked devices, internal IP addresses, statistics, serial numbers of your LNBFs, etc. A LOT of unique info!

#16 OFFLINE   pentode

pentode

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 08:00 PM

I just upgraded my dish to HD the tech pluged in a SlingLink- Turbo between my modem and 115 outlet, this is so I can order movies and Dish will know if there is a problem with their system. I have no problem with this. But if I can go out with this to Dish and order a movie what stops them from looking in and see what I'm watching on the TV plus my computer is hooked up to the same modem can they get into my computer and see what's in it or where I've been on the net?

#17 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,058 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 08:42 PM

Theoretically ... really - no.

#18 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,898 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 09 September 2012 - 07:13 AM

I just upgraded my dish to HD the tech pluged in a SlingLink- Turbo between my modem and 115 outlet, this is so I can order movies and Dish will know if there is a problem with their system. I have no problem with this. But if I can go out with this to Dish and order a movie what stops them from looking in and see what I'm watching on the TV plus my computer is hooked up to the same modem can they get into my computer and see what's in it or where I've been on the net?

They can't get into your computer, they don't want to, and if you have a firewall that would prevent it.

As for the "will they know what I'm watching"... probably... if they want to, yes. Personally, I have no problems with that. I wish they would use my viewing habits to tell people what I actually watch instead of guessing with Nielsen family reports.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#19 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,058 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 09:31 AM

what stops them from looking in and see what I'm watching

Your DVR do send full report each week: what, when and how long you did watch; plus a lot more info - find posts with keyword "stbheath". Big Brother watching you ! :D

#20 OFFLINE   pentode

pentode

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 10:10 AM

Thank you both. I'll hang my tin hat up for now. And then just unplug that little sucker when ever I/Dish gets the new TV to work.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...