Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Whole Home DVR Problem

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Paladin369

Paladin369

Mentor

• Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 02:19 PM

Greeting, Had this installed on Thursday 6/17 on three DVR's the play list for all DVR's show up on all three, I can play show on two except for the HR20-700. When I select a show category all the shows have a RED circle with a white line in front of the shows. When I select a show, I get a message, "This program cannot be played at this time. Living Room playlist is already in use." Then when I select PLAY, the second message is, "This program can't be played because too many recordings are being watched from playlist: LIVING ROOM" The Living room DVR is not in use, nothing is recording or playing. Is there something that I need to do ti fix this or do I need to call for a technician?
The Attachment shows the red circle in front of the show titles

Thank you

Attached Thumbnails

• Do Not Enter.jpg

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 20 June 2010 - 02:22 PM

A show can only be streamed from the server DVR to one client at a time, so that is generally the reason that message will appear (i.e. Streaming from DVR1 to DVR2 and then trying to view the same recording from DVR1 on DVR3).

If you are getting this for every recording that is on the Living Room DVR while at the HR20-700, try resetting the HR20. You can also try resetting the Living Room DVR as well to see if that resolves the issue.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#3 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 02:27 PM

I am getting this error when using my HR24 to play from a HR20-700, and no other MRV is in use. I suspect its a bug. All I could suggest right now, is to reboot the two units.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#4 OFFLINE   Paladin369

Paladin369

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 06:26 AM

Thank you very much for the help, the reset worked.

have a Good Day

#5 OFFLINE   SMinHD

SMinHD

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 12:39 PM

I have this happen as well, so far, only on one of my two HR24s. Every show has the icon and all shows display the message you described when attempting to play. I have to do this about once a week. Wouldn't think that is normal/desired. Has this been an issue throughout the MRV trials? Any way to know if this is a reported bug to D* and that it is being addressed?
- Steve

#6 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,695 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 12:59 PM

I have this happen as well, so far, only on one of my two HR24s. Every show has the icon and all shows display the message you described when attempting to play. I have to do this about once a week. Wouldn't think that is normal/desired. Has this been an issue throughout the MRV trials? Any way to know if this is a reported bug to D* and that it is being addressed?

I don't think I've read where anyone has had this more than once. I've seen it, but a simple reset has resolved it and it hasn't come back.
If you're having this more than once, I'd wonder about your network.
A.K.A VOS

#7 OFFLINE   SMinHD

SMinHD

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 08:20 PM

It's actually all 24 models, pure DECA with nothing but coax running to receivers from switch.
- Steve

#8 OFFLINE   SMinHD

SMinHD

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 08:33 PM

I see what's going on now. First of all, I have two HR24s and two H24s. It was my understanding that per DVR, you could only watch a single recorded program from one other receiver at the same time, but two total were allowed (different recorded programs). What I'm seeing is I can only watch one recorded program, total, from each dvr. I watch one recorded program from living room and all programs get the red icon. Did I misunderstand this?
- Steve

#9 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,695 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 08:35 PM

It's actually all 24 models, pure DECA with nothing but coax running to receivers from switch.

"Well then", it shouldn't be happening this much. Not quite sure what to say, since this isn't "normal", nor has it been posted by anyone else that this happens repeatedly. :shrug:
A.K.A VOS

#10 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 08:40 PM

I see what's going on now. First of all, I have two HR24s and two H24s. It was my understanding that per DVR, you could only watch a single recorded program from one other receiver at the same time, but two total were allowed (different recorded programs). What I'm seeing is I can only watch one recorded program, total, from each dvr. I watch one recorded program from living room and all programs get the red icon. Did I misunderstand this?

Correct. Each host DVR can only serve to one other location at a time.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#11 OFFLINE   SMinHD

SMinHD

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 08:47 PM

Hmm..just copied this from D* website:

How many different recorded shows can my family watch at the same time with one HD DVR?

With DIRECTV's Whole-Home DVR service, you and your family can watch two recorded shows at the same time on separate TVs — for example, your kids can watch one show on the TV in their room and you can watch another in the living room. If you happen to have a second HD DVR, you can watch up to four recorded shows at the same time in different rooms — every HD DVR in your Whole-Home DVR setup allows you to watch two recorded shows at the same time in different rooms.
- Steve

#12 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 08:48 PM

As long as one of the rooms you are watching the show in, is the one with the DVR :)

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#13 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,695 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 08:53 PM

Hmm..just copied this from D* website:

How many different recorded shows can my family watch at the same time with one HD DVR?

With DIRECTV's Whole-Home DVR service, you and your family can watch two recorded shows at the same time on separate TVs — for example, your kids can watch one show on the TV in their room and you can watch another in the living room. If you happen to have a second HD DVR, you can watch up to four recorded shows at the same time in different rooms — every HD DVR in your Whole-Home DVR setup allows you to watch two recorded shows at the same time in different rooms.

Hope you don't believe all the ads you see.
What they didn't say was:
One show viewed locally on the DVR while another can be viewed remotely.

Also understand that if you pause a show remotely, you can't "resume" it from another remote receivers. You MUST STOP playing it [to free up the DVR] and then go to the other remote receiver and then resume play there.
A.K.A VOS

#14 OFFLINE   SMinHD

SMinHD

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 08:56 PM

Darn tricky advertisements. I'm witnessing both of your points now. Thanks so much for the clarity guys.
- Steve

#15 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 08:57 PM

Darn tricky advertisements. I'm witnessing both of your points now. Thanks so much for the clarity guys.

Agree that the wording of all that could be better. Same with the commercials. But thats marketing weasels for you.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#16 OFFLINE   SMinHD

SMinHD

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 08:58 PM

So you mean I shouldn't believe that new iphone app can help with ED?
- Steve

#17 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,695 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 09:04 PM

So you mean I shouldn't believe that new iphone app can help with ED?

I guess that might depend on where you keep your iphone. :eek2:
A.K.A VOS

#18 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,650 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 03:51 AM

What they didn't say was:
One show viewed locally on the DVR while another can be viewed remotely.

Also understand that if you pause a show remotely, you can't "resume" it from another remote receivers. You MUST STOP playing it [to free up the DVR] and then go to the other remote receiver and then resume play there.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^What he said^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Unfortunately....VOS' explanation is accurate, but tough to put a marketing spin or visual "coolness" behind it...so you see what you see.

It's not quite in the same boat as the infamous (Comcast) cable ad claim "You have access to more than 2000 HD selections"...which of course, is not actually in the form of channels...but video on demand programs, many of which are repeated over and over.

To worst is...to the uninformed consumer...alot of this is at minimum...confusing.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#19 OFFLINE   judson_west

judson_west

Godfather

• Registered
  • 257 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 10:57 AM

I have been able to watch a program, locally, in one room and watch the same program, remotely, in another room. The start of the remotely viewed program was at the beginning of the program. I have also watched a program locally. Stopped it. Gone to another room and began watching the same program, remotely, starting from where I just left off.
Video/Audio 1: DirecTV HR24-500 (HDMI)-> Sony STR-DA5200ES -> Sony KDL-52XBR9
Video/Audio 2: DirecTV HR20-700 (HDMI) -> Sony KDL-32EX500
Video/Audio 3: DirecTV HR20-700 (HDMI) -> Sony KDL-40EX500

#20 OFFLINE   mbamenra

mbamenra

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 11:17 PM

I had this problem occur after I disconnected and switched the location of two receivers. The content on one of the receivers I had switched was not able to show on a 3rd receiver that I had. I reset the offending receiver but still no dice. So then I reset the 3rd receiver. That fixed it. So I would recommend resetting both the receiver that whose content won't play AND the receiver that you are using to try to view the content on the other receiver.

spam firewall