Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

RainFade - Need solution

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   my1423

my1423

Godfather

• Registered
  • 252 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 05:31 PM

I have a friend in Seattle wa that could not stand rain fade. Rains all the time! His stock dish was always searching for sat and he considered canceling dtv and going to cable. He is a c band nut and still uses his 12 foot dish and 4dtv stuff ect. He wanted the hd and quick channel change from dss. He had an extra 10 foot solid dish. He added an sl3 lnb to it and tuned it to 101. Gave him 100 on all transponders except for spot beams of course. He then took and placed cables across the dish and attached them to all thread. He then slowly tightened them an warped the dish into a multi sat dish and took his time until he had all 3 sats tuned in perfectly.
He took a couple of weeks to tinker it to his liking. He had to do it several times to bend it in the proper dimensions for when you remove the cables it would bend back to an undesired dimension. His dish mounts the lnb with a pole from the center and after the warping he touched up the focus a bit by just loosing the mount and sliding the lnb. With much trial and error of over bending he got it to where it would stay perfect without the cables. He still has rain fade and looses signal in really big storms, but for everyday use in fog and small storms it works great with no issues. He says it works 95% of the time vs to 55% before.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#52 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,942 posts
  • LocationOutside Portland, ME

Posted 22 June 2010 - 05:33 PM

I have a friend in Seattle wa that could not stand rain fade. Rains all the time! His stock dish was always searching for sat and he considered canceling dtv and going to cable. He is a c band nut and still uses his 12 foot dish and 4dtv stuff ect. He wanted the hd and quick channel change from dss. He had an extra 10 foot solid dish. He added an sl3 lnb to it and tuned it to 101. Gave him 100 on all transponders except for spot beams of course. He then took and placed cables across the dish and attached them to all thread. He then slowly tightened them an warped the dish into a multi sat dish and took his time until he had all 3 sats tuned in perfectly.
He took a couple of weeks to tinker it to his liking. He had to do it several times to bend it in the proper dimensions for when you remove the cables it would bend back to an undesired dimension. His dish mounts the lnb with a pole from the center and after the warping he touched up the focus a bit by just loosing the mount and sliding the lnb. With much trial and error of over bending he got it to where it would stay perfect without the cables. He still has rain fade and looses signal in really big storms, but for everyday use in fog and small storms it works great with no issues. He says it works 95% of the time vs to 55% before.

What's he getting for signal strength on the ka sats?
He should have some fun and have a service call. See the look on the installer's face when he goes to service the dish lol

#53 OFFLINE   my1423

my1423

Godfather

• Registered
  • 252 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 05:43 PM

He is a self install kinda guy. Radio guy Into ham ect.
Wont let anyone touch his stuff.

Says on a clear day 100 on most all but a few in the high 90s. During fog down to 80s and 70s in lite rain.

I would love to be there if an average joe installer saw his rig. Be Awesome!

#54 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 08:47 PM

Yea, this might be fun trying just to see what kind of differences I get. Im sure not going to bend my 6' dish I paid $300 for to try it tho, but Im thinking an offset dish mounted sideways so rather than being taller its wider, and the problem alignment of the LNB, I might get it to work. Im also going to try mounting a SL3 to my old AT9 reflector, since its larger. I tried removing the reflector from the AU9, and turning it vertical just to see what would happen, and the signal on the KA sat dropped from 95 to 45, but I still got a signal, so anything is possible. I just need to wait until this 100+ degree weather breaks, its to hot to be out working in the yard in the sun for hobby purposes after doing it for 10 hours at work :)

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#55 OFFLINE   digitalfreak

digitalfreak

Legend

• Registered
  • 182 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 10:37 AM

I'm having the same problem. I get either extremely bad breakups or lose signal altogether on my HD channels during even a light rain storm. Signal is in the 90s when the weather is clear, and I've already had a D* tech out to re-align the dish. No trees or other obstructions in the way. From everything I've been reading, it looks like I'm screwed.

#56 OFFLINE   sstv

sstv

Legend

• Registered
  • 234 posts
  • LocationDALLAS TX

Posted 28 June 2010 - 11:00 AM

I'm having the same problem. I get either extremely bad breakups or lose signal altogether on my HD channels during even a light rain storm. Signal is in the 90s when the weather is clear, and I've already had a D* tech out to re-align the dish. No trees or other obstructions in the way. From everything I've been reading, it looks like I'm screwed.

I had the same problem. I changed out my 4 wire lnb3 for a lnb3 swm and my problem went away. There is a slight boost in sig strength with the lnb3 swm. Its a low cost easy swap

SSTv
since 94

#57 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,447 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 28 June 2010 - 12:02 PM

99c
87 88 85 89 83 85 85 88
83 87 86 89 86 89

103ca
95 95 95 94 92 94 91 95
90 94 94 92 91 93 95 95

103cb
89 92 89 92 84 89 86 91
84 89 88 91 82 88

Dish was fine tuned to 99c's lowest reading transponder.

Yesterday ( Sunday ) I did the dither process on my 5 lnb dish and I focused on a low number on one transponder on 103(cb) since so many of the shows are coming from there for our house.
I got similar to better results than listed.
Today the rain came in buckets for about a half an hour.
I turned on the TV and jumped all around on the different channels, local, movies, sports, etc. No picture pixilating.
YEAH !

PS: I read those instructions on here somewhere and now I can not find it.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM, HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#58 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,447 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 28 June 2010 - 12:07 PM

The teck that did my original install focused on 101 satellite.
I have found, from reading on here, that most of the HD programming that we watch is on 99(ca) and 103(cb).
Your teck might have aimed your dish like mine was.
It is not hard to align the dish with the dither process if the dish is easily accessable.

Good luck.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM, HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#59 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 04:22 PM

Replaced my AU9 reflector with the reflector from an old AT9 (leaving everything else as is), and the 101,110,and 119 were stronger, but the KA sats were about 10 points lower. Still to hot to get out there and try mounting the LNB to a 1.2M dish, since Ill have to move the whole setup to the back yard to try it.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#60 OFFLINE   azarby

azarby

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,091 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 04:26 PM

Replaced my AU9 reflector with the reflector from an old AT9 (leaving everything else as is), and the 101,110,and 119 were stronger, but the KA sats were about 10 points lower. Still to hot to get out there and try mounting the LNB to a 1.2M dish, since Ill have to move the whole setup to the back yard to try it.

Using the 1.2 m dish may be a little tricky as the LNB needs to be positioned at the correct focal point. To do that, yo may need a specially designed arm (length , angle) to go with your particular LNB.

#61 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 04:31 PM

Ive got the mount thats large enough to clamp onto the SL3's neck (the actual connectors would hang down below the arm), however, Im not sure if the dish itself will be able to cover 4 degrees. I know I can aim it at one of the three, and kick the signal up, but the trick is to see if aiming it at 101 produces more gain at 99 and 103 than the standard dish. I dont have any -3db points in the specs for KA band for this dish.

#62 OFFLINE   timekeeper

timekeeper

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 10:19 PM

Ive got the mount thats large enough to clamp onto the SL3's neck (the actual connectors would hang down below the arm), however, Im not sure if the dish itself will be able to cover 4 degrees. I know I can aim it at one of the three, and kick the signal up, but the trick is to see if aiming it at 101 produces more gain at 99 and 103 than the standard dish. I dont have any -3db points in the specs for KA band for this dish.

Not all at once. But I think, if you aim at 99, you'd be able to also see 101(with a reduced signal level). Same think would happen with the 103.
Hence the need for the AKHA Lnb.

#63 OFFLINE   Joe C

Joe C

Godfather

• Registered
  • 302 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 08:09 AM

I would love to be there if an average joe installer saw his rig. Be Awesome!

Can you post a picture of his rig ? We would love to see it.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...