Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

On demand not connecting CSR says its router ports?

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mike62

mike62

Mentor

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 12:07 PM

I moved my new AT&T 2WIRE router/modem combo unit to where my HR22 is located so I could connect via an ethernet cable. After several attempts myself and then the tech in that area we were unable to have a successful connection. She then gave me an 800 number for another advanced tech with network services I think.

My question is she said I would need to first call my router mfg. and have them walk me thru opening a couple of ports that my router may be blocking. Does this sound like a common issue?

I did not want to spend an hour with AT&T to find out that is not the issue.

Thanks for any help.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,777 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 12:10 PM

I moved my new AT&T 2WIRE router/modem combo unit to where my HR22 is located so I could connect via an ethernet cable. After several attempts myself and then the tech in that area we were unable to have a successful connection. She then gave me an 800 number for another advanced tech with network services I think.

My question is she said I would need to first call my router mfg. and have them walk me thru opening a couple of ports that my router may be blocking. Does this sound like a common issue?

Thanks for any help.

My AT&T 2Wire needed nothing.
If you find that you need to call AT&T support, get transferred to tier/level 2 tech support. They're the ones that you can understand and resolve almost anything.
Also you might try a reboot of the router, by removing the power for a min or two.
A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,254 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 21 June 2010 - 12:14 PM

Network Services does have ports that it uses that you would need to set up Port Forwarding on your router for, but as Network Services is not being used, that shouldn't be an issue.

Are you just trying to get VOD to work or is the receiver telling you that you don't even have an Internet connection?

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#4 OFFLINE   mike62

mike62

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 08:27 PM

Yes, actually its not Network Services but the internet I am trying to connect to for my VOD. When I go thru the on screen set up it brings me to a page that shows the IP address, Subnet mask, etc. and under Network it say connected.

However, for Internet it say Not Connected (13).

I know my router/modem is fine since I have my home wi-fi set up and running and I even run a hard line from the router to my laptop to test it that way and it was fine.

#5 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,981 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 21 June 2010 - 08:31 PM

Does the IP address match your network (typically 192.168.x.x)? If it is 169.x.x.x that means it is not getting the address from your router via DHCP. "Connected to network" doesn't necessarily mean that it really is working.

#6 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,254 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 22 June 2010 - 05:57 AM

Does the IP address match your network (typically 192.168.x.x)? If it is 169.x.x.x that means it is not getting the address from your router via DHCP. "Connected to network" doesn't necessarily mean that it really is working.

I'll second Bob's post.

Quick question, do you have the MRV DECA setup or are you just using an ethernet cable? I'm wondering why a tech and a CSR would be helping you if you are just connecting using a ethernet cable as that is not supported by DirecTV.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#7 OFFLINE   ciurca

ciurca

Godfather

• Registered
  • 428 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 06:44 AM

FWIW, after my MRV/DECA install, I couldn't get On Demand channels through the guide. I was connected fine, all boxes showing up in my network routing table and through windows networking. I went to directv.com and then dialed up the on demand choices, choose record to receiver, and the website said something like, "must be connected to the internet." In that dialog box, there was a place to check that it was connected. I clicked that box and that night my receivers were then able to connect to On Demand. I don't know if that will help, but it did for me.
HR34
HR23
Slingbox Pro HD

Twitter -> @saltwater_rider
Facebook -> facebook.com/craig.ciurca

#8 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,469 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 06:52 AM

If you are using DECA do you have a DECA Router Adapter (DECA1MR0-01) connected to your Router?

Is the Green Light labeled NTWK on the DECA1MR0-01 Blinking?

Are all three Green Lights On?

If you are not using DECA then when you go to the directv.com and click on DOD you get a Pop Up Box that states "If you are aleady connected to the Internet, choose OK and continue recording. If not, Select an installation kit to set up your connection.". Click Ok and It will then Connect you to the Network for DOD as mentioned in the Post above.

Edited by Richierich, 22 June 2010 - 07:14 AM.

DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#9 OFFLINE   mike62

mike62

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 05:09 PM

If you are using DECA do you have a DECA Router Adapter (DECA1MR0-01) connected to your Router?

Is the Green Light labeled NTWK on the DECA1MR0-01 Blinking?

Are all three Green Lights On?

If you are not using DECA then when you go to the directv.com and click on DOD you get a Pop Up Box that states "If you are aleady connected to the Internet, choose OK and continue recording. If not, Select an installation kit to set up your connection.". Click Ok and It will then Connect you to the Network for DOD as mentioned in the Post above.

I am not using anything other than my modem/router and an ethernet cable direct to my receiver. I went to DTV and could not find the DOD section where I would get a pop up you described in order to follow your directions?

I will note also from someone elses comment that when I looked at my IP address on my laptop at the time it was not the same as what my IP address was according to the MENU setup for the DOD.

#10 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,777 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 05:36 PM

I am not using anything other than my modem/router and an ethernet cable direct to my receiver. I went to DTV and could not find the DOD section where I would get a pop up you described in order to follow your directions?

I will note also from someone elses comment that when I looked at my IP address on my laptop at the time it was not the same as what my IP address was according to the MENU setup for the DOD.

Keying in on your last part about IPs, it sounds like this may be the problem.
The 2Wire [that I have here] sends out the 192.168.1.xxx. If your receiver is showing the 168.xxx.x.xxx type IP, then the two aren't connected/talking at all.
A.K.A VOS

#11 OFFLINE   mike62

mike62

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 05:53 PM

Keying in on your last part about IPs, it sounds like this may be the problem.
The 2Wire [that I have here] sends out the 192.168.1.xxx. If your receiver is showing the 168.xxx.x.xxx type IP, then the two aren't connected/talking at all.

Yes, my DTV set up says my IP is 169.xxx.x.xxx (it says ok)

It also says Network is connected but Internet is Not Connected (13)

WhatsmyIPaddress says my current IP via my laptop is like 72.xxx.xxx.xxx

I agree two different IP's is not right.

#12 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,777 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 06:00 PM

That IP [on the receiver] is being generated by the receiver and not being sent by your 2Wire.
Try resetting the network defaults and then go through the "connect now" option. This should pull the IP from the router.
Since you have a 2Wire, I know you can go in an reserve and IP by MAC address [under advanced]. Doing this lets the receiver stay in "auto" [and always work after a reset defaults] and yet you can pick the IP for it in the router.
A.K.A VOS

#13 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,981 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 24 June 2010 - 06:05 PM

See my comments in post #5.

The 72.xxx.xxx.xxx address is probably the address assigned by your ISP to your connection. This will also show up as the WAN address in your router's status page. The 192.168.xxx.xxx addresses are assigned by your router (via DHCP or a static setup) to devices in your local network and Network Address translation is used to allow the devices to contact the internet.

If your receiver cannot receive an address via DHCP, it will self-assign a 169.xxx.xxx.xxx address. This will allow DECA to be used for MRV between DVRs and receivers even if you don't have a router or internet connection, but On Demand, Media Share, Directv2PC, etc., won't work that way.

Does the router show that is is connected to any devices other than your receiver?

#14 OFFLINE   mike62

mike62

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 06:12 PM

See my comments in post #5.

The 72.xxx.xxx.xxx address is probably the address assigned by your ISP to your connection. This will also show up as the WAN address in your router's status page. The 192.168.xxx.xxx addresses are assigned by your router (via DHCP or a static setup) to devices in your local network and Network Address translation is used to allow the devices to contact the internet.

If your receiver cannot receive an address via DHCP, it will self-assign a 169.xxx.xxx.xxx address. This will allow DECA to be used for MRV between DVRs and receivers even if you don't have a router or internet connection, but On Demand, Media Share, Directv2PC, etc., won't work that way.

Does the router show that is is connected to any devices other than your receiver?

I have 5 lights on my router: power, ethernet, DSL, wireless, and internet. All are currently lit EXCEPT ethernet. The only thing I have plugged into my router ethernet port is the cable from it to my DTV DVR.

#15 OFFLINE   mike62

mike62

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 06:15 PM

That IP [on the receiver] is being generated by the receiver and not being sent by your 2Wire.
Try resetting the network defaults and then go through the "connect now" option. This should pull the IP from the router.
Since you have a 2Wire, I know you can go in an reserve and IP by MAC address [under advanced]. Doing this lets the receiver stay in "auto" [and always work after a reset defaults] and yet you can pick the IP for it in the router.

Did the factory default but no change when I attempted to connect again.

#16 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,916 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 24 June 2010 - 06:35 PM

Thanks for any help.

Does your AT&T router see the HR22?

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#17 OFFLINE   mike62

mike62

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 06:50 PM

Does your AT&T router see the HR22?

I am thinking not because the ethernet light is not lit up. Although maybe it would only light up when I was actually downloading something via DOD?

How would I know if the HR22 sees it or not? Or make it see it?

#18 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,916 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 24 June 2010 - 07:01 PM

I am thinking not because the ethernet light is not lit up. Although maybe it would only light up when I was actually downloading something via DOD?

There should be some kind of router software util that that can bring up on your computer.

It is good time to check to see if the router firmware is current too.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#19 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,777 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 07:02 PM

I just looked at my 2Wire and the ethernet is lit.
Could this cable be bad? Can you connect your computer to the 2Wire with the same cable?
A.K.A VOS

#20 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,777 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 07:03 PM

There should be some kind of router software util that that can bring up on your computer.

It is good time to check to see if the router firmware is current too.

I've got a 2Wire and it is "box stock", with no firmware updates. These work fairly well right out of the box.
A.K.A VOS

Protected By... spam firewall...And...