Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

On demand not connecting CSR says its router ports?

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#26 OFFLINE   mike62

mike62

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 08:43 PM

The network port on the HR21 could be defective.
I looked at my 2Wire earlier today and reset defaults just to see if I'd done something and it didn't change how my receivers showed up.
I'd say at this point you either have a defective 2Wire or HR21.
Not sure you posted this or not, but when you used the same cable between your laptop and the 2Wire, was the ethernet LED lit on the 2Wire?
If so, then I'd say it's the HR21, because without the same LED lit by the HR21, you aren't going to get anything.

Yes the green light on the 2WIRE lit immediately as soon as I plugged it into my laptop without doing anything. Nothing ever has lit up when plugged into the DVR.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#27 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,280 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 26 June 2010 - 09:35 PM

With that info, I'd say there is a good chance that the ethernet port on your HR21 are defective.

One way to try to confirm this would be to hook up a device to the second ethernet port and see if it connects to your network/Internet. If it does, then the primary ethernet port is performing the pass-through correctly. If it doesn't, then the ethernet port on the HR21 is defective.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#28 ONLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,605 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 26 June 2010 - 10:29 PM

With that info, I'd say there is a good chance that the ethernet port on your HR21 are defective.

One way to try to confirm this would be to hook up a device to the second ethernet port and see if it connects to your network/Internet. If it does, then the primary ethernet port is performing the pass-through correctly. If it doesn't, then the ethernet port on the HR21 is defective.

- Merg

Did the receiver model type get changed to an HR21 in the last few posts due to a typo or something earlier?

I thought the OP listed an HR22 at the beginning?

#29 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 42,133 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 11:01 PM

Did the receiver model type get changed to an HR21 in the last few posts due to a typo or something earlier?

I thought the OP listed an HR22 at the beginning?

It did start out as a HR22, but except for the larger drive, they're basically twins anyway.
A.K.A VOS

#30 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,487 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 05:33 AM

Have you tried Resetting your Modem and then the Router. I had to do this when I was getting 169.x.x.x and that cleared up my situation.
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#31 OFFLINE   Billzebub

Billzebub

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 638 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 27 June 2010 - 11:51 AM

I'm not sure if there is a specific reason you can't do this with AT&T, but why not try going into advanced network setup on the HR and assigning a static IP address?

#32 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 12:03 PM

may have missed it in the thread - but did you try the cable from the port on the back of the DVR and pluggin it into a laptop? It really sounds more like that is a fault in the cabling rather then the router or the dvr.

#33 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 42,133 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 12:32 PM

I'm not sure if there is a specific reason you can't do this with AT&T, but why not try going into advanced network setup on the HR and assigning a static IP address?

may have missed it in the thread - but did you try the cable from the port on the back of the DVR and pluggin it into a laptop? It really sounds more like that is a fault in the cabling rather then the router or the dvr.

1) I've got AT&T and the same router with zero issues.
2) yes the cable has been used with the laptop and everything works, which is pointing to the HR2x as having a problem.
A.K.A VOS

#34 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 05:11 AM

1) I've got AT&T and the same router with zero issues.
2) yes the cable has been used with the laptop and everything works, which is pointing to the HR2x as having a problem.

no offense just asking basic question, got burned on a remote location one time that the home office tech did not ask the end user if the device was plugged in or not, got stuck with a 400 service charge for it:(

#35 OFFLINE   midd

midd

Mentor

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 06:12 AM

I'm having a similar problem as well. Everything worked fine until a week or week and a half ago. Then my TV in the living room could no longer access On demand. My tv in the basement could access them. I did a check and my LR dtv box said it wasn't connected to the Network.

Yesterday I went into my airport router and forwarded the ports need for the DTV network service ports. I do have one question, do I assign those ports to be opened to each box's ip address or just the router's?

I got home from work last night and turned my basement tv on. Got a message saying the LR tv was no longer connected to the network. Seems like I have to reset the LR DTV network everyday but then it disconnects later on. I have assigned ip addresses to the boxes so its not an ip address conflict. I even assigned the deca unit an ip address.

When I had directv installed in May, the installer wasn't sure about DECA. He explained to me that he was told to just install it but was never given any direction. Like I stated, it was worker fine from May until a week and half ago.

Edited by midd, 28 June 2010 - 06:19 AM.

#36 OFFLINE   midd

midd

Mentor

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 06:16 PM

Still looking for a solution for no VOD on one of my two boxes. I can go online and order a movie and it will download to the receiver in question.

I seemed to have resolved my MRV problem. Forward my ports, did a refresh of services online and reset both boxes. But still no VOD on my TV upstairs.

#37 OFFLINE   DogLover

DogLover

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 04:43 AM

Still looking for a solution for no VOD on one of my two boxes. I can go online and order a movie and it will download to the receiver in question.

I seemed to have resolved my MRV problem. Forward my ports, did a refresh of services online and reset both boxes. But still no VOD on my TV upstairs.

When you say no VOD, exactly what what do you mean? Are you not able to access the internet? Or are the onDemand channels not showing up? or are you getting an error message of some sort when you try to download?

You can check under menu>Parental, Fav's & Setup>System Setup>Info & Test>More System Info. Scroll down to the Network section. You will be able to see the IP address assigned to the box and whether it is connecting the the internet.
DogLover

My Setup

#38 OFFLINE   midd

midd

Mentor

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 06:40 AM

I can't access any of the on demand channels on my television in my living room. When I try to see the list, it says channel 1000 is unavailable. When I try any of the other networks on demand channels I get the same. I am connected to the internet and my network services are up and running. My tv in my basement is fine.

I can go online and order a movie/program and tell it to download it to my LR TV and that will work. But I can't do it through my LR TV.

#39 OFFLINE   DogLover

DogLover

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 06:49 AM

I can't access any of the on demand channels on my television in my living room. When I try to see the list, it says channel 1000 is unavailable. When I try any of the other networks on demand channels I get the same. I am connected to the internet and my network services are up and running. My tv in my basement is fine.

You've verified that the DVR thinks its connected to the internet? You might try running the system test, just to make sure that it passes that internet test.

Do you have other DVRs that have successfully accessed on demand? If not, you might make sure that your account is st up for on demand. I think you can access that at DIRECTV online. I think it's under the "other" tab under on the account overview page.

Has the DVR been rebooted within the last 24 hours? If it loses the on demand guide data, it can take 24 hours to redownload the data.
DogLover

My Setup

#40 OFFLINE   midd

midd

Mentor

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 08:53 PM

well my on demand is now working. But now my mrv isn't working. My upstairs tv can see my downstairs tv but not vice versa.

I did a reset for both receivers yesterday. I may just turn off MRV

#41 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 42,133 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 09:20 PM

well my on demand is now working. But now my mrv isn't working. My upstairs tv can see my downstairs tv but not vice versa.

I did a reset for both receivers yesterday. I may just turn off MRV

How exactly are you bridging the DECA network to your internet?
Do you have a separate DECA for this, or are you trying to use one of the ethernet ports/jacks off a receiver?
"port forwarding" isn't needed and network services aren't either.
I have zero ports forwarded, and N/S reports <202>, yet everything [including TVApps] work fine here.
A.K.A VOS

#42 OFFLINE   Barry in Conyers

Barry in Conyers

Godfather

• Registered
  • 355 posts
  • LocationMetro-Atlanta

Posted 01 July 2010 - 08:14 AM

To reinforce what VOS stated:

On my system (2 HR24 & 1 H24):

DHCP; no port forwarding; no UPnP, no network services.

MRV works; VOD works; TVApps works.

YMMV.

#43 OFFLINE   midd

midd

Mentor

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 06:57 PM

no I have a separate Deca unit running inline of the coax cables. Nothing is plugged in the ethernet ports. I have Cat5 cable from the DECA to my switch, that is all.

Like I said before, when I first had it installed, everything work perfectly. Its been 2-3 weeks now that it has been either No VOD on one TV or no MRV on the other.

#44 OFFLINE   DogLover

DogLover

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 07:00 AM

no I have a separate Deca unit running inline of the coax cables. Nothing is plugged in the ethernet ports. I have Cat5 cable from the DECA to my switch, that is all.

Like I said before, when I first had it installed, everything work perfectly. Its been 2-3 weeks now that it has been either No VOD on one TV or no MRV on the other.

I assume that you have each DVR set up as the default network setup? It defaults to DHCP, which gets an IP address from your router, if connected to a router. (If it cannot connect to the router it will create an internal address.) You can double check this by going to the system setup and looking at more system info. It will show the IP address of the DVR.

If for some reason one of the DVRs had a problem talking to your router, it could have set up an internal address. This would cause it to not work with VOD, since the address wouldn't be recognized by the router. Also, MRV would be a problem if both DVRs don't have the same type of address (internal or DHCP).
DogLover

My Setup

#45 OFFLINE   midd

midd

Mentor

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 05:56 AM

I did assign each receiver its own address. I changed the address of the one upstairs and everything seems fine now. I noticed that the DNS was my routers address and not the OpenDNS address that I use. However I couldn't just simply change the DNS address. Each time that I tried, it would "default" back to my router's ip address. It was only when I changed the receivers address could I change the DNS address and now everything is running smoothly...so far.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...