Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DTV no tornado warnings?

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   opfreak

opfreak

Legend

• Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 09:43 PM

what does it take for torando warnings to show up on DTV?

The whole local area got covered with a warning (se wisconsin) but the only reason I knew is because i flipped to a local news channel.

Is this normal?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,892 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 09:46 PM

There's no such thing as an emergency alert system with CONUS DBS programming. Everyone see's the same picture that you do. Until you tune into your local stations, which come from a Spot Beam bird, which is local to your particular area.
"He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else."

#3 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 09:46 PM

what does it take for torando warnings to show up on DTV?

The whole local area got covered with a warning (se wisconsin) but the only reason I knew is because i flipped to a local news channel.

Is this normal?

Will only show up on channel 362.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#4 OFFLINE   opfreak

opfreak

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 09:48 PM

Will only show up on channel 362.

this makes wife unhappy.

#5 OFFLINE   webhype

webhype

AllStar

• Registered
  • 82 posts
  • LocationRaleigh/Durham, NC

Posted 21 June 2010 - 09:50 PM

purchase a weather radio, what if the tornado warning is in the middle of the night when your TV is off ?

#6 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 09:50 PM

this makes wife unhappy.

I highly recommend buying one of these. Satellite TV is NOT designed for emergency local information, this is:
http://www.amazon.co...77178574&sr=8-2

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#7 OFFLINE   max1

max1

Godfather

• Registered
  • 386 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 09:53 PM

Yes, it is the local channels that have to carry the weather. D has no part in local weather on national channels. I would expect my local station to carry the warnings or have a scroll on local abc station not national networks like ESPN. Our local channels have scrolls the minute when storms happen. When you live in tornado alley it's a must to keep track of the weather. Plus when you see dark clouds thats a good idea to check your local weather. I agree weather radio would be another option.

#8 OFFLINE   opfreak

opfreak

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 09:58 PM

thanks for the info. I'm just used to cable where they were able to show warning on all channels

#9 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 10:00 PM

If the weather outside is brewing in a way in which a tornado may be possible...click on over to a local channel for more information. They may not always be predictable, but you can become familiar with the type of weather they form in.
DTV = Digital Television

#10 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,892 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 10:02 PM

Let me put it this way...
If a Tornado is in your near future, you're not going to find out from ANY DBS provider. If you catch my meaning.
Posted Image
"He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else."

#11 OFFLINE   Richard

Richard

Legend

• Registered
  • 212 posts
  • LocationSouth Texas

Posted 21 June 2010 - 10:03 PM

thanks for the info. I'm just used to cable where they were able to show warning on all channels

I hope there is an option to turn that off, I would hate for crawls to show up on every channel. I only watch recorded things on TV anyway, never watch anything live.

#12 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 10:22 PM

My service goes out in tornado warnings. Just consider the searching for signal message as a indication to go look outside.
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#13 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 10:29 PM

Here is a perfect indicator of whether or not a tornado is near. If you see this outside your window...

Posted Image

...get to safety.
DTV = Digital Television

#14 OFFLINE   codespy

codespy

Go Pack Go!

• Registered
  • 696 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 21 June 2010 - 10:34 PM

My friends in Eagle tonight got their Tornado warning when the windows started blowing out of their house.

They made it to the basement just in time, and their house was leveled.

DTV signal was gone just before the windows went.

Not advisable to count on satellite TV to seek safety for bad weather.

OTA is the way to go with heavy rain.

11 DirecTV HD-DVR's including a Genie and GenieGO

#15 OFFLINE   ricochet

ricochet

AllStar

• Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 11:13 PM

There's no such thing as an emergency alert system with CONUS DBS programming. Everyone see's the same picture that you do. Until you tune into your local stations, which come from a Spot Beam bird, which is local to your particular area.

Satellite could do EAS if they wanted to. The EAS messages contain location information and the boxes know where they are so only the boxes in the alert area would show the alert and the others would just ignore it. The biggest hurdle to overcome, and why they probably don't do it, is the communication between DirecTV and all the local "emergency entities", whatever they may be.

Oh, and can we please go back to the good old days when a tornado warning meant there was an actual freaking tornado sighted and not some bogus super mega doppler indication that maybe conditions are such that it is possible a tornado might have a chance to develop. Isn't that what a tornado watch is supposed to be?

#16 OFFLINE   john18

john18

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 978 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 11:26 PM

This also is a good single task weather radio. It is able to be programmed to your local NWS SAME codes. http://www.amazon.co...77184099&sr=1-1 .

There are also some other radios that have multiple bands that include weather radio.

I have two different radios, including the Oregon Scientific model, and I don't live in a tornado area. It is dust storms and thunderstorms here.

#17 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,346 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 11:31 PM

Satellite could do EAS if they wanted to. The EAS messages contain location information and the boxes know where they are so only the boxes in the alert area would show the alert and the others would just ignore it. The biggest hurdle to overcome, and why they probably don't do it, is the communication between DirecTV and all the local "emergency entities", whatever they may be.

Could ... and I wouldn't mind it IF it could be turned off and if it the alerts were pinpoint or at least for selected county. I have a weather radio with SAME alerts encoded for my county and the next county over that gives me enough warning (and I have internet tools for the moments that even OTA can't get a signal through the storm).

Oh, and can we please go back to the good old days when a tornado warning meant there was an actual freaking tornado sighted and not some bogus super mega doppler indication that maybe conditions are such that it is possible a tornado might have a chance to develop. Isn't that what a tornado watch is supposed to be?

There are definitions for watches or warnings ... perhaps severe thunderstorm warnings should be used more often than tornado for the "could be a tornado" radar detections.

The local broadcasters are useless during storms ... wall to wall coverage with no real programming if there is a warning to talk about even in the most remote part of their coverage area. Or nothing but an EAS crawl.

Personally I just want good weather. Let the tornadoes and severe storms go somewhere else.

#18 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 05:43 AM

My service goes out in tornado warnings. Just consider the searching for signal message as a indication to go look outside.

Aint that the truth. (error 771 - go to the basement)

#19 OFFLINE   rahlquist

rahlquist

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 06:07 AM

Amen thats the rule I follow. D* goes out from rainfade and up comes the laptop or cell phone and http://weather.gov/<zipcode>

#20 OFFLINE   jefbal99

jefbal99

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,838 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 06:21 AM

One of the main reasons I keep an antenna up and have an AM21 on each DirecTV box...
Receiving Equipment: AU9 Slimline w/Zinwell WB68 & SWM 8 | Winegard MS-2000 w/PS-1503 Power Injector
Living Room: HR22-100 w/AM-21 | Samsung HL-S4266W (HDMI) | Ethernet MRV | Pioneer HTS-GS1 5.1 | Yamaha DV-S6160 (Component/Digital Coaxial)
Bedroom: H21-200 w/AM-21 | Westinghouse LVM-42w2 (HDMI) | Ethernet MRV
Home Theatre: HR20-100 | Sanyo PLV-Z60 (Component/Optical) | Flexio 16:9 100" Screen | Ethernet MRV |Yamaha YHT-690 | XBox 360 (Component) | Harmony 880

spam firewall