Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DTV no tornado warnings?

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,729 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 10:07 AM

True. There are laws that require an EAS alert to be on all channels and if the capability of placing the alert on all channels is not possible, channels without the alert must be interrupted. All things being equal those laws should also apply to 'cable from the sky' - especially when the #1 and #2 providers are satellite providers.

But all things are not equal. When satellite can carry local channels on the same rules as cable (coverage areas for stations that agree to carriage not stopping at an artificial line) things will be more equal.

Besides, unless there have been recent changes the only requirement for EAS is the EAN and monthly/weekly tests. Weather warnings and other alerts are transmitted as part of the EAS system but are not required.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   rahlquist

rahlquist

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 10:42 AM

And cable shouldn't be depended on either. Yet they are still required by law to do it. It isn't about being DEPENDENT on it, it's just another way to get the information out. They can do it via DBS *and* via Ethernet if needed. It wouldn't reach everyone, but it might reach somebody just in time.

And it does show on my locals? Not OTA but DBS based.

#83 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,729 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 11:12 AM

And it does show on my locals? Not OTA but DBS based.

It could show up on the locals. At the moment it only shows up on TWC - but an "all channel" design could be used on all channels.

#84 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 07:36 PM

All things being equal those laws should also apply to 'cable from the sky' - especially when the #1 and #2 providers are satellite providers.

I'm not sure who the #2 provider is, but the #1 provider is Comcast. And unless things have changed drastically, they're a cable company.

#85 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,729 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 08:30 PM

I'm not sure who the #2 provider is, but the #1 provider is Comcast. And unless things have changed drastically, they're a cable company.

Hmmm ... I wonder if Comcast bought a few companies since I last noticed. #2 is DirecTV by about 5 million customers (December). Please edit my remark to read:

All things being equal those laws should also apply to 'cable from the sky' - especially when the #2 and #3 providers are satellite providers.

(Not forgetting the remark that followed reminding the reader that all things are NOT equal between cable and satellite.)

#86 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,540 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 25 June 2010 - 09:11 PM

True. There are laws that require an EAS alert to be on all channels and if the capability of placing the alert on all channels is not possible, channels without the alert must be interrupted.

Wonder when they will decide to interrupt internet usage and wifi and 3G cell phone usage as well. Afterall, more and more folks are going to internet-based entertainment.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#87 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 01:23 AM

Wonder when they will decide to interrupt internet usage

My previous Internet provider would hijack your browsing session when an Amber Alert was issued in your area.

#88 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 01:58 AM

My previous Internet provider would hijack your browsing session when an Amber Alert was issued in your area.

I have mixed emotions about that. If it were my kid I would want the whole world interrupted but if I was just trying to do something online I would be pissed if it all came to a halt until the alert was over.
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#89 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 02:16 AM

if I was just trying to do something online I would be pissed if it all came to a halt until the alert was over.

It'll only hijack you once per alert. And you can opt out.

#90 OFFLINE   jcc

jcc

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 07:02 PM

What about EAS national alerts. I thought I read that DBS providers have to comply with those and if so, when do they do those. I know. Why bother posting this. I should be grateful that they don't have to interrupt all channels weekly/monthly like cable does and hopefully it stays that way as I haven't seen one since switching to DirecTV a little more than a few months ago. I'm just curious.

#91 OFFLINE   kevinwmsn

kevinwmsn

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 08:04 PM

Wonder when they will decide to interrupt internet usage and wifi and 3G cell phone usage as well. Afterall, more and more folks are going to internet-based entertainment.

If they do that, they might interrupt your internet connected ps3, xbox360, wii.
my setup here

#92 OFFLINE   trainman

trainman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,464 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted 28 June 2010 - 06:39 PM

What about EAS national alerts. I thought I read that DBS providers have to comply with those and if so, when do they do those.

As far as I know, they're not required to do EAS tests the way broadcast stations and cable systems are.

If there's ever an EAS national alert, I think DirecTV programming being interrupted is going to be the least of your worries. (Keep in mind there was not a national alert on 9/11/2001.)
trainman is Jim Ellwanger

HR34-700 | Linksys WGA-600N | Samsung 46" LCD | Slimline-5 dish

#93 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 12:38 AM

Keep in mind there was not a national alert on 9/11/2001.

Although a lot of programming was interrupted, it was all voluntary.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...