Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

How/why did UNC Kids become UNC EX? (Raleigh/Durham, NC)

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dwcolvin

dwcolvin

Icon

• Registered
  • 668 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 09:18 AM

In the Raleigh/Durham area, the one WUNC subchannel from D* changed abruptly from UNC KD to UNC EX. Anybody know what happened? :confused:

DIRECTV and NFL-ST since 1994, Slimline w/SL5 LNB, SWiM-16
HR44-700; 2x HR24-500; HR22-100; H25-500; C31-700; GenieGo
Gigabit Ethernet (DirecTV DECA); 2.4 and 5GHz 802.11n; HD Slingbox

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   canesice

canesice

AllStar

• Registered
  • 71 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 10:02 AM

I called UNC-TV...

so it happened this week, and it is permanent. apparently there was some press release.. but I cant find it. They are going to send it to me.

I also complained that the local listings are not properly updated, and that DirecTV did a poor job of announcing it.. if they did at all..

#3 OFFLINE   canesice

canesice

AllStar

• Registered
  • 71 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 10:03 AM

here is the email I just received:

Dear Mr. xxx:

Thanks for your message to UNC-TV. In response to your inquiry,effective at midnight, June 15, 2010, all DIRECTV customers in North Carolina will begin receiving UNC-EX instead of UNC-KD. These customers will continue receiving UNC-TV, as well. UNC-EX will be shown on the same channel formerly occupied by UNC-KD.

Why the change? UNC-TV initiated this change as a service to public television viewers who wished to have an alternative to children’s programs during the day. Children’s programs are also available on UNC-TV during the daytime, meaning that there was often duplication of the content on UNC-KD and UNC-TV.

DIRECTV customers who wish to continue viewing PBS children’s programs are encouraged to find them on UNC-TV, which will continue providing the same excellent children’s programming during the day. DIRECT customers who have wished they could watch public television programming for adults during the day will now also have a choice – UNC-EX, The Explorer Channel. UNC-TV is confident that this new lineup will accommodate the needs of more viewers without compromising its ability to provide excellent children’s programming services.

If you should have further questions, comments, or concerns, please feel free to call member supported UNC-TV's Customer Care Department at 1-888-292-7070.

Thank you for watching member-supported UNC-TV's North Carolina's statewide public television network. UNC-TV's unique programs and services provide people of all ages with enriching, life-changing television.

Sincerely,
J. Malley
Customer Care Representative
UNC-TV

#4 OFFLINE   Tonedeaf

Tonedeaf

Legend

• Registered
  • 247 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 10:53 AM

I also complained that the local listings are not properly updated, and that DirecTV did a poor job of announcing it.. if they did at all..

Not DirecTV's job to announce a change that a local station is making. They only carry the signal and send it to you. Take all complaints up with your local station that does not seem to be able to announce a change effectively.
Equipment
HR22-100(VOD/MRV) SWM/DECA connected via HDMI on Panasonic TC-P58S2
HR24-200(VOD/MRV) SWM/DECA connected via HDMI on Panasonic TH-50PZ85U
HR21-700(VOD/MRV) W/AM21 SWM/DECA connected via HDMI to Sony KDL-46V3000
HR22-100(VOD/MRV) SWM/DECA connected via HDMI to Westinghouse 37"LCD
H24-200 SWM connected via HDMI to Samsung 24" LCD

AU9 Dish , SWM-16, SWS-8 Splitter

#5 OFFLINE   EricRobins

EricRobins

Godfather

• Registered
  • 463 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 11:18 AM

Is UNC still providing UNC-KD to TWC?

#6 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 11:48 AM

Thanks for the info, canesice. I was wondering what was up.

You may want to get some rabbit ears so you can pull in all the UNC sub channels. They should come in fine in Raleigh and will integrate seamlessly on your HR2x or H2x. If you have anything other than an HR20 or H20, you'll need to ask DirecTV to send you an AM21. I'd use this change as an opportunity to try to get one for free if I were you.

#7 OFFLINE   dwcolvin

dwcolvin

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 668 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 11:53 AM

Is UNC still providing UNC-KD to TWC?

Yes, Digital Box channel 171, QAM 4-3.

How I wish someone would make an AM21-like box with a QAM tuner. ;)

#8 OFFLINE   dwcolvin

dwcolvin

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 668 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 12:02 PM

Not DirecTV's job to announce a change that a local station is making. They only carry the signal and send it to you. Take all complaints up with your local station that does not seem to be able to announce a change effectively.

Well, D* could carry more than one subchannel. But the change was clearly WUNC's decision.

#9 OFFLINE   photostudent

photostudent

Godfather

• Registered
  • 295 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 12:24 PM

Glad I saw this thread. I've been watching UNC EX(plorer) with an OTA antenna. No kids in the house so did not have the subchannel on my favs. UNC has a lot of travel shows, kinda like The Travel Channel used to have!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...