Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

HD carriage dispute w/ ABC/ESPN/Disney

• Please log in to reply
417 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,191 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 22 June 2010 - 10:20 AM

Effective June 22, 2010 the standard-definition feeds of Disney Channel, Disney XD, ABC Family and ESPNews are still available, and you may continue to watch your favorite programs on their regular channel numbers.

DISH Network now offers all customers HD Free for Life, which is possible because we are committed to negotiating fair contracts that allow us to keep our prices low. Disney and ESPN Networks demanded an exorbitant fee for the HD feeds of Disney East, Disney XD, ESPNews and ABC Family – a fee that would be a tax on our customers. After we refused to pay, Disney and ESPN Networks pulled the HD feeds of these four channels only.

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,191 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 10:26 AM

I thought I read on here somewhere someone saying Dish had a good relationship with ABC/Disney/ESPN. Hmmmm, maybe not so much at the moment it seems. :(

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

#3 OFFLINE   BillJ

BillJ

Icon

• Registered
  • 828 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 10:31 AM

I just discovered the missing channels and called DISH. This is absolutely ridiculous. I'm paying the same as I was paying last month for DISH but suddenly they can't afford to offer these channels in HD. Come on, Charlie.

#4 OFFLINE   Dave

Dave

Icon

• Registered
  • 864 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 10:49 AM

Lets not blame Charlie for ABC's greed and high cost for carriage. I can watch them in SD as easy as HD. Tell the CEO of Disney, ABC to get off there high money horse.

#5 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,018 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 22 June 2010 - 10:58 AM

If they pulled ESPNHD & ESPN2HD, then there would be a HUUUUUGE backlash.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#6 OFFLINE   Jables

Jables

AllStar

• Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 11:14 AM

As a D* customer who suffered through the VS dispute, I sure hope it takes E* less time to sort things out. Sucks for you guys.

And I'll echo BillJ - I thought the same thing when D* lost VS:

Sat Co: We refuse to pass on these egregious charges to you, our valued customer!
Customer: OK. So we don't get that channel now while you work things out? Do we get to pay less while we're down a channel?
Sat Co: No.
Slimline-5 | Zinwell 6x8 | 2 x HR20-700 | HR23-700

#7 OFFLINE   domingos35

domingos35

Icon

• Registered
  • 536 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 11:29 AM

u damn right about that

#8 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,898 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 11:30 AM

No Longer Available
9433 DISE (172 HD) Disney (East) 129° TP 18 / 61.5° TP 25 HD *TEST* Hidden
9434 ABCFM (180 HD) ABC Family 129° TP 28 / 61.5° TP 25 HD *TEST* Hidden
9449 DISXD (174 HD) Disney XD 129° TP 27 / 61.5° TP 25 HD *TEST* Hidden
9494 ESNWS (142 HD) ESPNews 129° TP 28 / 61.5° TP 25 HD *TEST* Hidden

I thought I read on here somewhere someone saying Dish had a good relationship with ABC/Disney/ESPN. Hmmmm, maybe not so much at the moment it seems. :(

The ESPN lawsuit is still pending ... the relationship seemed good as despite the court case DISH added channels. Apparently not as good as it seemed.

I guess this gives people the answer as to if ESPNU HD will be added any time soon (although sometimes disputes end with new channels).

(According to the court filing, DISH believed their contract with ESPN that included all feeds of ESPN and ESPN2 also included ESPN HD and ESPN2 HD and didn't want to pay extra. ESPN treated their HD feeds as separate channels - and the legal dispute began.)

#9 OFFLINE   n0qcu

n0qcu

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 12:21 PM

If they would pull these that would be absolutely the very best thing that could ever happen.
Kevin

3 Hoppers
3 Joeys, all wireless
1 Hopper 2.0
YES, all Hoppers can see the recordings on any Hopper.

#10 OFFLINE   0pusX

0pusX

Legend

• Registered
  • 116 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 12:21 PM

this is already is huge issue for me. 3 of those channels are on almost constantly at my house.

#11 OFFLINE   ENDContra

ENDContra

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 12:47 PM

Hmmm....I can deal with these being gone for a bit, if the end result also gets us ESPNUHD. Any chance of that?

#12 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,479 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 22 June 2010 - 12:50 PM

Well, this may be the dispute to watch to find out just how expensive your TV package will be in the future. I already grumble about how much ESPN is costing me - I could care less if I get it but for anyone to get it we have to pay something like $5-$7 a month extra in the various packages.

I also don't need the Disney Channels but I'm sure it's a significant number in the package cost already.

Whatever Dish agrees to in this dispute will set the tone for future negotiations with NBCU, Time Warner, etc. for the other groups of cable channels. Then will come the local/network negotiations where we know the networks are asking for an extra buck or two along with whatever their affiliates want.

I predict that packages will go up $10-$15 a month or an average of 30% over a very few years. Some will, of course, bitch about Dish or DirecTV or Cox Cable or FIOS. The rest of us will know where to place the blame - at Congress for not reigning in the media conglomerate greed and ourselves for not voting our personal interests.

Leave them off, Charlie, unless you can get an agreement for 10¢ a channel which you should list in detail on the bill along with an email address for Disney Inc.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#13 OFFLINE   0pusX

0pusX

Legend

• Registered
  • 116 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 12:57 PM

Its funny how people say "Good for DISH, take a stand, I dont care about those channels anyways" well what if they channels you and your family watched were taken off, would you be singing the same tune then?

#14 OFFLINE   erosroadie

erosroadie

Godfather

• Registered
  • 388 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 01:14 PM

Its funny how people say "Good for DISH, take a stand, I dont care about those channels anyways" well what if they channels you and your family watched were taken off, would you be singing the same tune then?

Been there, done that with Versus and D*. Not the same impact obviously as ESPN HD feeds being dropped. Feel sorry for the World Cup fans now watching games in SD...:eek2:

#15 OFFLINE   Conway

Conway

Legend

• Registered
  • 216 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 01:20 PM

we still have the SD channels of them.. The HD channels will be back soon im sure. I'v seen disputes with dish come to a close rather quickly.
Bring On More HD!

#16 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,018 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 22 June 2010 - 01:23 PM

Been there, done that with Versus and D*. Not the same impact obviously as ESPN HD feeds being dropped. Feel sorry for the World Cup fans now watching games in SD...:eek2:

It's not ESPN HD or ESPN2 HD....yet. Only Disney Channel, Disney XD, ABC Family, and ESPNews are affected.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#17 OFFLINE   PRIME1

PRIME1

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 01:27 PM

If you have the HD Absolute package, you don't have them at all right now. What's worse is I just called tech support and they were not even aware of the problem. They had me reset my receiver to try to fix the issue. While that was coming back up I decided to check here, and then I informed her of the problem!

#18 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,191 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 01:37 PM

I just discovered the missing channels and called DISH. This is absolutely ridiculous. I'm paying the same as I was paying last month for DISH but suddenly they can't afford to offer these channels in HD. Come on, Charlie.

Did I miss your post singing Dish's praises all the times they've added HD channels and not raised your bill? After all fair's fair here. Now really being fair this is a carriage dispute, happens regularly, company that owns the channels wants more $$$, Dish understandably doesn't want to pay more. As always they'll hash something out sooner or later.

#19 OFFLINE   JWKessler

JWKessler

Legend

• Registered
  • 169 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 02:27 PM

I realize that ESPN - and Disney - are important channels for many Dish customers. However, not everyone is a sports fan or has kids. So why should we be forced to pay higher monthly fees to ESPN or Disney for expensive channels we will NEVER watch?

Perhaps a separate package containing these "semi-premium" channels could be created. People who really wanted ESPN or Disney could pay for the privilege, giving the rest of us a break. I see it a bit like the Platinum package. You have the option to pay a bit more for these channels if you want them, or if you don't care about them you can chose not to subscribe.

I remember when I subscribed to Bell ExpressVU they had named packages like Basics, News, Sports, Kids, Music, Entertainment, Learning etc and grouped several related channels into each package. When you subscribed you could pick the number of packages you wanted, then chose packages until you hit your limit. It seemed like a smart way to handle the situation that was much more fair than what we have.

#20 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,479 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 22 June 2010 - 02:47 PM

First of all, ESPHD seems to be on right now, though DisneyHD and ABCFamilyHD aren't.

Absolutely! We watch a lot on NBCU and TimeWarner cable channels and I'd be right there glaring at them with Dish if I could be at the table.

And I would be particularly mad at Disney because I have been watching the World Cup on ESPN. Talk about blackmail. Viva Univision HD!

Oh, and I'm waiting for the day when the various media giant groups can be purchased in separate packages so we can begin to see what we're paying these companies.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

Protected By... spam firewall...And...