Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

HD carriage dispute w/ ABC/ESPN/Disney

• Please log in to reply
417 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,714 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 22 June 2010 - 03:26 PM

I think even Disney knows it would be a mistake for them to pull their main ESPN channels as they are the "bad guy" in this scenario since they are the ones cutting the feed to Dish.

Meanwhile... anyone who thinks that dropping ESPN channels would result in your bill dropping is sorely mistaken. There is virtually no precedent that says if channels are "lost" forever that a package tier would drop in price.

Frankly, I thought this is where we were a couple of years ago... channel providers wanting more money for their HD feeds than their SD feeds... so I'm surprised that this has only come through with the suit from Disney/ESPN here.

You and I might think HD should come with the SD feed... but the channel providers did expend extra money to get those feeds started... and they know the public wants them... so I'm not surprised they are asking for more money.

I hope this gets resolved before it becomes even nastier... but it does seem to address why Dish still hasn't had ESPNUHD.

It might also explain why DirecTV didn't get ESPNUHD until very recently... maybe DirecTV was waiting as well, but just they decided to pay up instead of fight it like Dish usually does.

I'm not naive, though... "we want to keep our prices down to our customers" sounds a lot like "do it for the children" and we all know that when people say things like that... it's never the driving force behind the fight.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,029 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 22 June 2010 - 03:37 PM

I think even Disney knows it would be a mistake for them to pull their main ESPN channels as they are the "bad guy" in this scenario since they are the ones cutting the feed to Dish.

Why is Disney the 'bad guy"?

What if you owned a house and you were leasing it to someone. Before the lease came up for renewal you looked at your costs to own that house and what profit you wanted to make and sent the increase to your tenant a couple months before. The tenant wasn't happy with that increase and proposed a lower amount. This continued going back and forth right up to the end date for the lease, but you like this tenant and would like to keep them so you say they can stay there for a while and continue to negotiate. Months go by and you're still not coming to an agreement and you realize that your tenant has nothing to lose by being stedfast, he's still in your home and isn't paying your increase. So how long would you let them stay there before you pull the plug and kick them out?

And while I don't like price increases as much as anyone it's a fact of life. But the cost for everything that companies use, from utilities to salaries (at least for those Hollywood folks and corporate exec's) also keeps going up and someone has to pay for it.

Just my two cents.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#23 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,934 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 03:39 PM

The dispute may not include ESPNs main channels. Pulling channels is leverage. I can't imagine any company not using the fullest leverage possible.

Meanwhile... anyone who thinks that dropping ESPN channels would result in your bill dropping is sorely mistaken. There is virtually no precedent that says if channels are "lost" forever that a package tier would drop in price.

We've lost four of the 71 channels in HD 250 Free, four of the 54 in HD 200 Free, three of the 31 in HD 120 Free.
We should demand a discount on our HD packages.

People with HD 120 Free should get 10% off of their $0 per month! :eek2:

#24 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,492 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 22 June 2010 - 03:49 PM

Well, point-of-view is everything. From Reuters in May:

The Walt Disney Co posted a 26 percent earnings drop on Tuesday as the global downturn ate into ad sales and consumer spending, but company executives said the worst may be over for its key media networks and theme parks businesses....

A relatively strong showing at its cable operations, especially the ESPN sports network, ABC Family Channel and Disney Channel, and a better-than-expected 10 cents per share of restructuring charges helped the company to an earnings beat.

I guess I understand a desire to milk the cable operations, but when I read things like the following, I can't help but judge the media conglomerate as a "not very good" guy in the negotiations:

Iger also said the company was "optimistic" that an agreement would be reached with the Hong Kong government to expand the underperforming Hong Kong theme park, and that the proposed Shanghai park was awaiting approval from China's central government.

Sorry, but I don't think it's appropriate for me to pay an extra buck a month for ESPN/Disney/Family HD because they screwed the pooch with a Hong Kong theme park.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#25 OFFLINE   l8er

l8er

Icon

• Registered
  • 624 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 03:55 PM

.... Perhaps a separate package containing these "semi-premium" channels could be created. People who really wanted ESPN or Disney could pay for the privilege, giving the rest of us a break. ....

Will likely never happen. Many of the providers dictate where (what level) they want their channels so they can count as many possible victims, er, subscribers as possible for their advertisers. (Which affects the rates they inflate for, er, charge advertisers.)
-GA

#26 OFFLINE   kariato

kariato

AllStar

• Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 04:08 PM

Maybe Dish should offer a special sportless package like the family plan for $5 less a month as a opening shot. Given ESPN lock on being in the basic plan that would scare the living daylights out of them given that I would switch in a second to that plan. In other countries sport are usually not in the base package. The package aimed at Women/Arts including Hallmark, Bravo, A&E, TLC, Oxygen. It would be a great marketing campaign. I know a lot of women like sports but a lot don't. Creating a sportless package would be a hit.

Edited by kariato, 22 June 2010 - 04:15 PM.

#27 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,230 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 04:14 PM

I realize that ESPN - and Disney - are important channels for many Dish customers. However, not everyone is a sports fan or has kids. So why should we be forced to pay higher monthly fees to ESPN or Disney for expensive channels we will NEVER watch?

Perhaps a separate package containing these "semi-premium" channels could be created. People who really wanted ESPN or Disney could pay for the privilege, giving the rest of us a break. I see it a bit like the Platinum package. You have the option to pay a bit more for these channels if you want them, or if you don't care about them you can chose not to subscribe.

I remember when I subscribed to Bell ExpressVU they had named packages like Basics, News, Sports, Kids, Music, Entertainment, Learning etc and grouped several related channels into each package. When you subscribed you could pick the number of packages you wanted, then chose packages until you hit your limit. It seemed like a smart way to handle the situation that was much more fair than what we have.

I remember when Disney was a premium channel.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#28 OFFLINE   GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,233 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 04:29 PM

Will likely never happen. Many of the providers dictate where (what level) they want their channels so they can count as many possible victims, er, subscribers as possible for their advertisers. (Which affects the rates they inflate for, er, charge advertisers.)

You are right about that. Highly doubtful that package rates would go down, by removing ESPN and Disney into Sports and Family/Kids packages. They would include enough channels into the Sports and Family packages that didn't really belong, and get people to buy them anyways, and end up charging more for it. There is NO WAY networks are going to allow for any kind of a la carte system.
I almost missed my 3:30 conference call, as That 70's show didn't autotune today. Granted I ended up hearing some other Noise, Degrassi or something, and it made me aware something was wrong, as I have the SD version of ABC Family locked out.
Glad we at least kept the SD versions until they settle this. Don't watch the channels in question much at all, ABC Family is one of the weaker HD stations as lots of the shows look horrible, but there are some weekend movies the wife and kids like, and I use it for my 3pm alarm clock, when I am home.
If they screwed up ESPN/ESPN2 HD right now I would be really upset, smack dab in the middle of the World Cup, there would be lots of yelling, and both Dish and ABC/Disney would be the bad guys, for millions of users.

#29 OFFLINE   bnborg

bnborg

Icon

• Registered
  • 616 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 04:31 PM

Maybe Dish should offer a special sportless package like the family plan for $5 less a month as a opening shot. Given ESPN lock on being in the basic plan that would scare the living daylights out of them given that I would switch in a second to that plan. In other countries sport are usually not in the base package. The package aimed at Women/Arts including Hallmark, Bravo, A&E, TLC, Oxygen. It would be a great marketing campaign. I know a lot of women like sports but a lot don't. Creating a sportless package would be a hit.

I would go for a lower priced, sportless package in a minute.
Dish Network VIP722k - Gold 250 + HD/Platinum
110,119, and 129 on Dish 1000.2
Dynex (BestBuy) 42" HDTV, Onkyo TX-SR303 Receiver

#30 OFFLINE   BillJ

BillJ

Icon

• Registered
  • 830 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 04:50 PM

You and I might think HD should come with the SD feed... but the channel providers did expend extra money to get those feeds started... and they know the public wants them... so I'm not surprised they are asking for more money.

We are at a point where HD is close to becoming the broadcast standard. I remember when color TV was at that point. It cost more to produce color programs but neither the broadcast station nor the cable company tried charging the viewer more to watch. It's time everyone involved in delivering TV to viewers realizes HD is the new normal. DISH has taken a step in that direction with Free HD for Life. And today is a giant step backward.

#31 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,714 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 22 June 2010 - 05:24 PM

Why is Disney the 'bad guy"?

Did you read my whole post, or just the first line that you quoted?

The very next line of my post I explained the companies like Disney have spent money to upgrade to HD transmission so I didn't see it as a surprise that they wanted more money.

"Bad guy" is in quotes because of public perception. IF Dish had cut the channels because they didn't want them, then Dish would appear to be the bad guy... but in this scenario, Disney has cut the feed because they didn't feel they were being paid for these particular channels... so they do appear to be the bad guy, whether they are or are not.

Dish didn't drop these channels... Disney cut the feed. That's why they are the "bad guy" in the scenario.

What if you owned a house and you were leasing it to someone. Before the lease came up for renewal you looked at your costs to own that house and what profit you wanted to make and sent the increase to your tenant a couple months before. The tenant wasn't happy with that increase and proposed a lower amount. This continued going back and forth right up to the end date for the lease, but you like this tenant and would like to keep them so you say they can stay there for a while and continue to negotiate. Months go by and you're still not coming to an agreement and you realize that your tenant has nothing to lose by being stedfast, he's still in your home and isn't paying your increase. So how long would you let them stay there before you pull the plug and kick them out?

Everything you wrote here was completely appropriate and understandable from a landlord's point of view...

BUT

What if the tenant was on a fixed income... and either an elderly person OR a somehow disabled one. Do you not think public opinion would frown upon a landlord for evicting such a tenant even if it was completely just and understandable legally?

That's all I was saying... Sometimes public perception means as much to a company as does being in the right.

Disney might need more money, and be justified in asking... and justified in pulling their feed if Dish doesn't pay more... BUT in this economy, when all of Dish's customers are already griping about this year's price increases... how many on here would happily pay more to Dish to keep these Disney channels on air right now?

IF Dish raised rates yet again to cover these channels, wouldn't everyone scream? So... Disney in a down economy is asking for more money and threatening by pulling the channels if they don't get more money... so to you and I who do not have more money right now, Disney looks like the bad guy for not pinching pennies on their end.

The risk too is that the channels they pulled might not be missed. Customers *might* find they are ok without those channels IF they are off for an extended period of time.

Consider... Dish killed off the Smithsonian HD channel a year or so ago... and people griped at first... but the noise died down and I think I'm the only one to bring it up in many months here as an example!

So... in a dispute for money... Disney takes the risk that customers will complain more about losing the channels than they would about having to pay more for them... and in this economy, that might be a risky maneuver.

#32 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,714 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 22 June 2010 - 05:26 PM

We are at a point where HD is close to becoming the broadcast standard. I remember when color TV was at that point. It cost more to produce color programs but neither the broadcast station nor the cable company tried charging the viewer more to watch. It's time everyone involved in delivering TV to viewers realizes HD is the new normal. DISH has taken a step in that direction with Free HD for Life. And today is a giant step backward.

Was there cable TV during the cutover to color TV?

I'm sure advertisements were sold at higher rates for color programs than B&W... so broadcasters probably made up some money there in those days.

HD really isn't yet the new normal either... Well more than half of Dish's customers are SD-only customers. I suspect similar ratios are true of Directv and various cable outlets.

Lots of folks got those digital TV adapters to use on existing TVs too.. so lots of OTA people are still in SD land.

#33 OFFLINE   bnborg

bnborg

Icon

• Registered
  • 616 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 05:39 PM

I didn't remember cable being around in the 50's either.
Dish Network VIP722k - Gold 250 + HD/Platinum
110,119, and 129 on Dish 1000.2
Dynex (BestBuy) 42" HDTV, Onkyo TX-SR303 Receiver

#34 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,029 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 22 June 2010 - 05:42 PM

Frankly, I thought this is where we were a couple of years ago... channel providers wanting more money for their HD feeds than their SD feeds... so I'm surprised that this has only come through with the suit from Disney/ESPN here.

I hope this gets resolved before it becomes even nastier... but it does seem to address why Dish still hasn't had ESPNUHD.

It might also explain why DirecTV didn't get ESPNUHD until very recently... maybe DirecTV was waiting as well, but just they decided to pay up instead of fight it like Dish usually does.

I'm not naive, though... "we want to keep our prices down to our customers" sounds a lot like "do it for the children" and we all know that when people say things like that... it's never the driving force behind the fight.

Did you read my whole post, or just the first line that you quoted?

The very next line of my post I explained the companies like Disney have spent money to upgrade to HD transmission so I didn't see it as a surprise that they wanted more money.

Acutally it wasn't until the fourth section in your post where you mention the costy to upgrade to HD.

"Bad guy" is in quotes because of public perception. IF Dish had cut the channels because they didn't want them, then Dish would appear to be the bad guy... but in this scenario, Disney has cut the feed because they didn't feel they were being paid for these particular channels... so they do appear to be the bad guy, whether they are or are not.

Dish didn't drop these channels... Disney cut the feed. That's why they are the "bad guy" in the scenario.

Everything you wrote here was completely appropriate and understandable from a landlord's point of view...

BUT

What if the tenant was on a fixed income... and either an elderly person OR a somehow disabled one. Do you not think public opinion would frown upon a landlord for evicting such a tenant even if it was completely just and understandable legally?

That's all I was saying... Sometimes public perception means as much to a company as does being in the right.

Disney might need more money, and be justified in asking... and justified in pulling their feed if Dish doesn't pay more... BUT in this economy, when all of Dish's customers are already griping about this year's price increases... how many on here would happily pay more to Dish to keep these Disney channels on air right now?

IF Dish raised rates yet again to cover these channels, wouldn't everyone scream? So... Disney in a down economy is asking for more money and threatening by pulling the channels if they don't get more money... so to you and I who do not have more money right now, Disney looks like the bad guy for not pinching pennies on their end.

The risk too is that the channels they pulled might not be missed. Customers *might* find they are ok without those channels IF they are off for an extended period of time.

Consider... Dish killed off the Smithsonian HD channel a year or so ago... and people griped at first... but the noise died down and I think I'm the only one to bring it up in many months here as an example!

So... in a dispute for money... Disney takes the risk that customers will complain more about losing the channels than they would about having to pay more for them... and in this economy, that might be a risky maneuver.

OK, so the landlord might take some heat but its his right to evict someone if they can't afford their lodging. The public might not be as rough on the landlord when they hear that he gave the tenant 6 months to come to terms with the new rent before eviction, he had plenty of time to find someplace they could afford.

As for your comment about all the Dish customers griping about this years increase I see enough posts from folks still asking about spending a couple hundred on a new 922 and paying a $17/month STB fee so I don't think all the Dish customers are out on the corner begging for money to pay next months bill.

Is Disney taking a risk, probably, but guess it's a risk that their accounts and PR folks said it was worth to take.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#35 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,016 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 22 June 2010 - 05:48 PM

I can't imagine any company not using the fullest leverage possible.

It would be bad timing indeed. ESPN doesn't want a repeat of the DIRECTV.vs.VERSUS hockey heartbreak.

Then again, the relative impact may depend on how ultimately popular the World Cup turns out to be. DISH might counter with a "preview" of the channels from the Espanol package.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#36 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,934 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 06:12 PM

Yes. Cable television started in 1948 ... prime time on the networks was all color in 1966-67. Cable continued to grow from it's "community antenna" roots to rebroadcasting satellite delivered programming as TV continued to be more colorful. There was plenty of overlap during the process - with cable helping in some ways by delivering a good signal to those TVs so color reception was possible.

BTW: There was no "cutover". With color compatible with B&W TVs shows and networks converted as funds were available. Consumers did the same. Separate feeds were not needed for color vs B&W.

I'm sure advertisements were sold at higher rates for color programs than B&W... so broadcasters probably made up some money there in those days.

Color programs attracted viewers ... advertisers pay for viewers.

HD really isn't yet the new normal either... Well more than half of Dish's customers are SD-only customers. I suspect similar ratios are true of Directv and various cable outlets.

I'd like to see better numbers on this. Unfortunately unlike the movement of TV to color the movement of TV to HD isn't compatible with the past. "HD" customers like me have more SD receivers than HD receivers. And even though we are years into the availability of HD it remains a premium service that too many don't see the value in paying extra for.

One company's analysis places DISH's HD penetration at 3% in 2006 and 20% in 2009 with a prediction of 55% by 2016.

From another source: "A research group conducted a survey and discovered that currently 46% of US households have at least one HDTV in their home. The increase in adoption is due to several factors including the shift away from analog transmission, the decreasing price of HDTVs, and the inability to purchase any other kind of television."

Falling back to the color argument: "Color" becoming the definition of TV is when every set displays a color picture in color. "HD" becoming the definition of TV is when every set displays a HD picture in HD. It has only been a few years since B&W TVs were still a general retail item. We're a long way from every regularly used TV in every home displaying a HD signal (in HD).

One TV isn't enough to say HD is the definition of TV.

#37 OFFLINE   nmetro

nmetro

Godfather

• Registered
  • 629 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 06:17 PM

Lots of folks got those digital TV adapters to use on existing TVs too.. so lots of OTA people are still in SD land.

To your first question, cable TV was more of a means to improve broadcast TV signals in fringe areas and was not readily available at the time color broadcast television was available on ABC, CBS and NBC. NBC went full color n the early 1960s, ABC and CBS mid 1960s. At least in New york, independent channels also started showing some color programs in the mid 1960s. We did not get cable until the late 1960s and it was for the purpose of improving signal quality for the New York and Connecticut TV stations.

As fro color TV, most people did not purchase color TV until the late 1960s. Though, our family bit the bullet in 1965, when our old black and white set finally gave out. First thing I saw in color, a New York Mets game on WOR (now WWOR from New York).

As for commercials, many aired in black and white well after broadcast stations were converting to color. But, by the end of 1966 pretty much all commercials were in color.

So, a little bit of broadcast history. By the way, who needed cable (as we have today), the seven New York channels seemed to have more on them back then, then 200+ channels have now. Our ESPN was WPIX and WWOR, our TCM was WNEW, WPIX and WWOR, our DYI, Discover, National Geographic, et. al was WNDT (Now WNET), our Nickelodeon and Disney channel was WPIX, WNEW and WWOR. Our CNN and Weather Channel was the local evening news. Syndicated shows were on WPIX, WNEW and WWOR. And the network channels showed game shows, movies, kids programming, soap operas, news ,parades and a once in a while talk show.

And guess what? It was all free over the air.

#38 OFFLINE   nmetro

nmetro

Godfather

• Registered
  • 629 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 06:25 PM

By the way, as for the topic, corporate greed pretty much sums it up. I do not know which is worse, broadcast stations, whose licenses are technically publicly owned asking for carriage fees or private cable channels who keep raising their fees by using excuses like professional sports salaries or "production costs". While in both cases, they air more and more commercials, get higher and higher rates, but this income is not enough. Hence, why I spend most of my time watching TCM, Fox Movie Channel and now EPIX1 and EPIX2. Add in the Encore owned channels. Most everything else on the other cable channels are repeats of recently run network shows. We pay more for less variety.

#39 OFFLINE   KalebD

KalebD

AllStar

• Registered
  • 84 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 06:36 PM

this is already is huge issue for me. 3 of those channels are on almost constantly at my house.

Ditto. My Daughter and I watch Disney at least an hour a day. :new_cussi:new_cussi:new_cussi:new_cussi
PAX,
JD

"Listen to advice and accept instruction, and in the end you will be wise." Proverbs 19:20
Samsung UN55D8000 w/Dish Hopper v1 w/Sling Adapter, PS3 Slim 120gb, Yamaha YSP-2200, Panamax 5400, Harmony One, PS3 ToothFairy
Vizio SV420XVTS w/Joey Receiver & PS3 60gb

#40 OFFLINE   coldsteel

coldsteel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 06:44 PM

Ditto. My Daughter and I watch Disney at least an hour a day. :new_cussi:new_cussi:new_cussi:new_cussi

Is Mickey fricking Mouse that much better in HD? :nono2:
DISH 625 dvr

The opinions posted on this site are my own and do not represent DISH Network's positions, strategies or opinions. Unless I decide to be bad or call out an idiot...

Protected By... spam firewall...And...