Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

HD carriage dispute w/ ABC/ESPN/Disney

• Please log in to reply
417 replies to this topic

#401 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 02:57 PM

Here's just one reason why I'll never support a fee increase to Disney:

http://www.reuters.c...&rpc=23&sp=true

That's more than the annual budget of some medium sized counties.

Which counties?.;)

All I know is you will normally never hurt the suits.When profit goes down they will layoff the little guys to boost profits,after all profits are the nature of the beast for all companies to stay in business and to attract investors.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#402 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,262 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 22 January 2012 - 08:54 PM

All I know is you will normally never hurt the suits.When profit goes down they will layoff the little guys to boost profits,after all profits are the nature of the beast for all companies to stay in business and to attract investors.

What manner of rank and file do you suppose Disney has?

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#403 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 10:29 AM

What manner of rank and file do you suppose Disney has?

I would guess there is a formula that all companies follow when it comes to the rank and file,and depending how large the company is would dictate how many of each titles within the company they would have.

#404 OFFLINE   runner861

runner861

Icon

• Registered
  • 859 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 01:46 PM

No matter where you work, public sector or private sector, when cuts are made, the people at the top are always saved. Of course, they are the ones making the decisions about the cuts. They are not going to hurt themselves.

The city manager will lay off one of the city's gardeners, but he will find the money to recarpet and refurnish his office.

#405 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,293 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 23 January 2012 - 03:21 PM

Now let's be fair here. In the private sector many CEO's have been fired and were only given a few hundred million in severance. Everyone takes a risk.:sure:

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#406 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,293 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 04:51 PM

According to The Morning Bridge this morning:

Last month, Liberty Media CEO Greg Maffei said the rising costs of ESPN is a "tax on every American household." A few short weeks later, news has leaked that Cox is set to launch an economy subscription package without the "Worldwide Leader in Sports" giving pay-TV customers a choice on the four-letter sports net 'surcharge.'

According to company communication, Cox is launching its TV Economy package for $35 per month at the end of January. The package includes all of the channels in its "starter" package, plus a handful of national cable nets not named ESPN.

...As part of the tier's "expanded" line-up, Cox is offering AMC, BET, Cartoon Network, CNN, Comedy Central, Discovery, Disney, E!, Food Network, Fox News, History Channel, Lifetime, Nickelodeon, TruTV, TV Land, USA and the Weather Channel. Not only is ESPN notably absent from the line-up, but there is no sports-related equivalent to take its place.

So it is possible to negotiate something without the cost of the ESPN tax which right now is imposed on even the cheap Dish America package.

A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup

#407 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,214 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 06:27 PM

That sounds like the "Family" package. $35 is a lot to pay for TV without any sports (except local channels).

#408 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,293 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 07:16 PM

That sounds like the "Family" package. $35 is a lot to pay for TV without any sports (except local channels).

I thought that also, but in our area Comcast offers a new customer for the first year their digital service with a free premium for three months for $39.99 with no contract, with HD, $47.99 per month, a DVR kicks it up to $55.95, and if you agree to a contract, knock off $10 for a year. Regardless, after six months or a year with no HD, premium channel, or DVR it goes to $59.99.

Of course, they have other promo's for bundles.

Comcast has never even been close to Dish in pricing.;)

But someone got by the ESPN in every package demand from Disney, even if it was Cox Cable.

My AV Setup

#409 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,214 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 09:03 PM

But someone got by the ESPN in every package demand from Disney, even if it was Cox Cable.

Somebody already did ... DISH Family does not have ESPN. (I believe DirecTV's Family package was equally un-endowed.)

#410 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,426 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 24 January 2012 - 11:23 PM

James said what I was thinking... I thought Dish already had a cheaper family pack without ESPN... but then the complaint was that it didn't have very many channels in it. There's always something to complain about no matter how they slice the packages.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#411 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,293 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 11:31 PM

Somebody already did ... DISH Family does not have ESPN. (I believe DirecTV's Family package was equally un-endowed.)

According to the article:

Cox is offering AMC, BET, Cartoon Network, CNN, Comedy Central, Discovery, Disney, E!, Food Network, Fox News, History Channel, Lifetime, Nickelodeon, TruTV, TV Land, USA and the Weather Channel.

As far as I'm concerned that's kind of a different thing from Dish Family. In fact, I'm surprised it has Disney in it. That just seems like quite a concession by the Disney people.

My AV Setup

#412 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,214 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 12:04 AM

"Cox is offering AMC, BET, Cartoon Network, CNN, Comedy Central, Discovery, Disney, E!, Food Network, Fox News, History Channel, Lifetime, Nickelodeon, TruTV, TV Land, USA and the Weather Channel."

And DISH is offering:
Animal Planet - 184
Bloomberg Television - 203
BIO - 119
Boomerang - 175
CBS Sports Network - 152
Cooking Channel - 113
Do It Yourself (DIY) - 111
Food Network - 110
FOX News Channel - 205
Hallmark Channel - 185
Hallmark Movie Channel - 187
Nickelodeon/Nick at Nite - 170/171
Nicktoons Network - 178
Outdoor Channel - 396
RFD-TV - 231
Science - 193
The Hub - 179
TV Land - 106
Weather Channel - 214
(plus additional channels)

Some of those channels are AT250 channels. It is a good sampler, with NO ESPN, and it has been offered for years. Some different choices, but still some pretty good channels.

Perhaps you had it confused with the Welcome Package?

#413 OFFLINE   MCHuf

MCHuf

Legend

• Registered
  • 147 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 09:07 AM

James said what I was thinking... I thought Dish already had a cheaper family pack without ESPN... but then the complaint was that it didn't have very many channels in it. There's always something to complain about no matter how they slice the packages.

My biggest complaint about Dish Family is that you can't get HD channels. The Cox package does make HD channels available. I read the leaked letter on DSL Reports and HD channels were listed. You can get them with a cable card (which was listed as an option) device, and probably by renting a HD stb. The package also comes with a standard definition box rolled into the base price. Buy a Tivo (w/lifetime sub) or a pc card and you can get and HD dvr and a sd stb for $3.50 per month. Actually a pretty good deal as far as cable pricing goes.

Looking at the Dish Family line-up it really is geared towards families with younger kids. HD probably isn't a big concern for kids, but it's still too bad hd isn't even an option.

#414 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,262 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 25 January 2012 - 09:15 AM

I would guess there is a formula that all companies follow when it comes to the rank and file,and depending how large the company is would dictate how many of each titles within the company they would have.

Thinking specifically about Disney and their various products, outside of the destinations, how many blue collar jobs do you think they have? Do you think that number represents a large percentage of the Disney workforce?

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#415 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 04:17 PM

Thinking specifically about Disney and their various products, outside of the destinations, how many blue collar jobs do you think they have? Do you think that number represents a large percentage of the Disney workforce?

http://www.wdwmagic.com/facts!.htm ;)

#416 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,293 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 04:38 PM

"Cox is offering AMC, BET, Cartoon Network, CNN, Comedy Central, Discovery, Disney, E!, Food Network, Fox News, History Channel, Lifetime, Nickelodeon, TruTV, TV Land, USA and the Weather Channel."

And DISH is offering:
Animal Planet - 184
Bloomberg Television - 203
BIO - 119
Boomerang - 175
CBS Sports Network - 152
Cooking Channel - 113
Do It Yourself (DIY) - 111
Food Network - 110
FOX News Channel - 205
Hallmark Channel - 185
Hallmark Movie Channel - 187
Nickelodeon/Nick at Nite - 170/171
Nicktoons Network - 178
Outdoor Channel - 396
RFD-TV - 231
Science - 193
The Hub - 179
TV Land - 106
Weather Channel - 214
(plus additional channels)

Some of those channels are AT250 channels. It is a good sampler, with NO ESPN, and it has been offered for years. Some different choices, but still some pretty good channels.

Perhaps you had it confused with the Welcome Package?

No, I had a link to the Dish Family list in my post. The article list for Cox is incomplete, but that said, while there are some general audience channels in the Dish list, I'd have to go with the Cox package that has USA, AMC, Disney, Comedy Central, etc. The only channel on the Dish list that we've watched any programming on in the past four years is the Hallmark Channel for some basically awful, but sappy fun Christmas movies.

Again my thing with this is that someone apparently has negotiated a package with some really popular general entertainment cable channels in it without the customer having to pay for any sports channels. And my thing is that sports channels are comparable to the premium movie channels like HBO, Showtime, Starz, etc., and should be pulled out of cable channel packages.

My AV Setup

#417 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,262 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 26 January 2012 - 09:10 AM

http://www.wdwmagic.com/facts!.htm ;)

Looks like about 20,000 over 45,000. Certainly not a typical ratio.

#418 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,176 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 30 January 2012 - 05:32 AM

Those numbers are over 10 years old.

For example, they don't list the Animal Kingdom Lodge which opened in 2001. That was a huge resort and now they've built the Kidani Village addition to it which opened in 2010 or so.

spam firewall