Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Whole Home DVR?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   d.glen

d.glen

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 12:39 PM

Is Dishnetwork planning to have a whole home PVR setup similar to Direct anytime soon?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 22 June 2010 - 12:55 PM

No. Dish's direction is entirely Sling Media oriented. Somewhat similar possibilities but entirely a different approach.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#3 OFFLINE   swissy

swissy

AllStar

• Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 02:36 PM

Isn't the 622/722 a whole home DVR? In single mode and enough RF remotes, you could do the same thing.
Peter

#4 OFFLINE   BNUMM

BNUMM

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 02:54 PM

Not quite the same. It is not in HD on the Coax output.

#5 OFFLINE   swissy

swissy

AllStar

• Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 06:12 AM

Not quite the same. It is not in HD on the Coax output.

Fair enough.....
Peter

#6 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 07:01 AM

Isn't the 622/722 a whole home DVR? In single mode and enough RF remotes, you could do the same thing.

Only if your "whole home" is 2 TVs, and one of them is SD. Folks with 6 or more TVs certainly wouldn't be happy with just a 722.

#7 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 23 June 2010 - 10:47 AM

In single mode there are a lot of things that can be done. The first thing to understand is that all these TV1 outputs are "hot":

Posted Image

At your "home theater," you could connect the TV to the HDMI. You can distribute an SD signal through the house using the coax output. And because the HD component video is also hot, you could use a component video distribution amplifier to send HD to, in this case, 5 rooms:

Posted Image

As of this very moment, this amplifier is on sale for $117.20.

On the other hand, running five thick 5-wire component cables through the house isn't the easiest thing to do.

Again, Dish is focusing on the Sling media option which permits watching TV in and around your house and beyond without being tied to a TV. However, the present system on a 922 allows only one additional viewer, albeit controlled independently from TV1. I suppose one could add a Slingbox PRO-HD to the 922's TV1 component outputs and create a second viewing situation around the house "seeing" the same program that would be displayed in the "home theater."

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#8 OFFLINE   tommiet

tommiet

Godfather

• Registered
  • 318 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 03:39 PM

Posted Image

My amp has been in place for 2 years and feeds my Slingbox Pro and 2 other TV's. One is 75 feet and the other is 50. Pain to run.... but I had the time and tools to do it right. A friend that installs alarm systems helps too!

I also use a CAT5 converter to send an HD signal over 150 feet from a second 722.

Both Work great.
**** HARDWARE *****
2 Dish Hoppers (Gave up trying to get a Joey to work)
VIZIO 55” and 48" TruLED LCD 3D HDTV with VIZIO
JVC HDI RX-D402B Receiver
2 SLINGBOX PRO'S

#9 OFFLINE   FarmerBob

FarmerBob

Godfather

• Registered
  • 571 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 08:56 PM

I have had two of these since 1995, started with 3445's, that gives me 8 channels in addition to the two off each box and anyone can watch them on any set in the house. That's why I was locked into DISH and their UHF remotes even though these have built-in IR. That way everybody in the house can have their own channel/box, along with several channels for security cameras, feed from the media room, DVD's, VCR's and Blu-ray's.

This is like the WHDVR, but far more convenient.

Attached Thumbnails

• 5445.jpg
  • 3445.jpg

#10 OFFLINE   jgarveyATL

jgarveyATL

AllStar

• Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 06:13 AM

@D.Glen
Supposedly in the near future (was supposed to be June per rumors in this forum), Dish will introduce the sling adapters and multiroom extenders.

My understanding though is that this is "sling" oriented, in other words, using the box will monopolize the DVR/TV. Same as the 922 slingloaded DVR, if you are slinging to a PC, you monopolize the TV1 output. I'm not sure how this will work with a 622/722 that are dual tuner (triple tuner with OTA) boxes, since the sling adapter will connect via USB and should be able to connect to either source.

More here in this thread.

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=176277

I'm waiting for the multroom extender as well. I'm not as worried about monopolizing a TV as long as I can move from one room to another and continue watching the show from the prior room.

#11 OFFLINE   MrDave

MrDave

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 07:43 PM

Absolutely correct! The 622/722 makes an excellent Whole House Server.

When I installed my first Dish system 13 years ago I put 2 state-of-the-art model 5000s in a single cabinet. Even then, I decided that each of the 6 or so TVs in the house should be able to see each of the receivers. My equipment has changed a lot over time, but never my basic philosophy.

Today, the same cabinet holds 2 622s and each 622 is easily viewable on any of 3 HDTVs or 3 SDTVs throughout the house.

Think of your 622/722 simply as a signal source. In single mode, it outputs a single program thru numerous connectors, both HD and SD. Splitting the SD output is easy using simple coax splitters or coax distribution amps. Send it anywhere you like in the house to drive any reasonable number of SDTVs.

Surprisingly, the HDTV side isn't that much harder. If you only want to drive 2 HDTVs, connect one to the Component output and one to the HDMI. If you have more that 2 HDTVs you can split the Component output as pointed out by other posters.... and/or YOU CAN SPLIT THE HDMI OUTPUT.

I've had excellent luck splitting the HDMI from each of my 622s. I use a couple of Monoprice (item 6193) 4-way powered splitters to drive my 3 HDTVs thru cables of 12ft, 25 ft, and 50ft.

Assuming you can physically route the cables and deal with distances you can think of Whole House Servers this way:
1. The number of DVRs you need is determined by the number of users who need to watch different programs at the same time. PERIOD. It has nothing to do with the number of TVs.
2. You'll need remotes, easily available on eBay. You can use 6.0 thru 6.4 remotes interchangably (assuming you remain on default band A). Buy them in bulk if possible and label or color code them with tape if you have more than one system. 5.0 remotes work ok, but are IR only. Remotes don't care about TV1 or TV2 when the DVR is in single mode. All remotes simply run "the box".
3. If you dislike long HDMI cables because of flexibility issues, Port Savers (Monoprice item 2891) are your friend.

To summarize, 622/722 DVRs make great Whole House Servers with the proper hookup. I hope someone finds this information helpful.

#12 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 05:39 AM

Absolutely correct! The 622/722 makes an excellent Whole House Server.

Actually, this is not correct. What is desired is the ability to record in HD at any location and to independently view any recordings in HD at any STB.

#13 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,091 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 06:00 AM

Actually, this is not correct. What is desired is the ability to record in HD at any location and to independently view any recordings in HD at any STB.

With his setup he can. He just decides which receiver he wants to use in which room and uses the content there. I set up my 501 as a "whole house DVR" ... it still resides in the basement with it's output visible on any of my TVs (easier to do with RF than HD but done).

DirecTV's system requires the presence of a receiver at the location where the viewing will take place. One could reduce the number of receivers in a home by building a similar "concentrated system" (with the right equipment). Using ONE receiver (or a bank of receivers) at a central location may reduce the overall number of receivers. Even in a "DirecTV" home.

#14 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 06:58 AM

With his setup he can. He just decides which receiver he wants to use in which room and uses the content there. I set up my 501 as a "whole house DVR" ... it still resides in the basement with it's output visible on any of my TVs (easier to do with RF than HD but done). ...

You're limiting your imagination to what is possible with either D* or E* only. The system I am describing allows one to record and playback at a local viewing location and view any HD material in HD that was recorded on any other STB in the home. You can't do that with either E* or D*. I had two 508's set up so that I could watch either DVR's output at multiple outlets and I currently have a 622 and a 722k set up that way. That is not to say I can independently view HD from any STB at any other STB and to suggest that I can is misleading.

#15 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,644 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 07:09 AM

[...] The system I am describing allows one to record and playback at a local viewing location and view any HD material in HD that was recorded on any other STB in the home. You can't do that with [] D* [...]

Unless I'm not fully understanding what you're saying, I believe that's how DirecTV MRV currently works.

E.g., if you have have 2 HD DVR's and 2 HD STB's connected to 4 TV's, you can initiate a recording from any* box and watch it in HD on any of your 4 TV's.

And if need be, the same recording can be watched simultaneously on two boxes. The one it recorded on, and one of the clients.

*With the above set-up, either STB has the ability to schedule recordings on either of the two DVR's... your choice at the time you set the recording.

Edited by Steve, 27 June 2010 - 07:17 AM.

/steve

#16 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,091 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 07:10 AM

The system I am describing allows one to record and playback at a local viewing location and view any HD material in HD that was recorded on any other STB in the home. You can't do that with either E* or D*.

You should probably take a closer look at DirecTV's "MRV" / media sharing. You may be selling it short.

In your setup, your viewing of one STB would be independent from viewing another STB. What "Mr Dave" was suggesting is having STBs dedicated to each person in a central location and distributing that person's feed to wherever (including multiple wherevers) that person needs to view their programming.

Hopefully DISH will work out a content share between receivers ... but I don't see that as a "soon" feature. They seem to be pursing the remote TV via sling path.

#17 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 08:14 AM

Unless I'm not fully understanding what you're saying, I believe that's how DirecTV MRV currently works. ...

I stand corrected re the D* system. I should have limited my comment to the E* systems.

Thanks.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...