Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Whole Home DVR Question

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   xceebeex

xceebeex

Legend

• Registered
  • 173 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 12:45 PM

Hey all, I am new to this forum and will be new to Direct TV as of next Tuesday. As of now, I do not have the Whole Home DVR as part of my package, but I do have 1 HD DVR and 1 HD Receiver being installed on my two TV's in my home.

First question is, if my second TV is not HD, but has the HD receiver hooked up to it will it play HD recordings?

Second questions is, would I benefit from having them do the whole home dvr thing in the initial install? Or is it going to cost me the same whether I have them install it next week or next month?

I am thinking that the Whole home thing will be useful, but I want to make sure it would work on a non-HD TV with a HD receiver because I don't plan on upgrading the TV yet.

EDIT: On the summary of my "order" it lists MRV Install. Does that mean they are going to set everything up for Whole Home DVR but just not activate the service or does MRV Install refer to something else in this case?

Edited by xceebeex, 22 June 2010 - 12:53 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Spoffo

Spoffo

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 12:57 PM

#1 - yes. You can watch an HD receiver on a SD monitor. Set it to automatically receive HD channels, just the same as you would with an HD monitor. You'll get a somewhat better SD picture, especially if you can connect the SD set via component cables, which you can with some SD flat-screens. Right now, one of my HD DVRs is feeding an older SD monitor until we finish a remodel of the room it's in. If you're using the composite or S-video output from the receiver, SD is automatic. If you're using component, go into the setup menu and un-check all the video format options but 480i. These menus also will give you the options to watch HD broadcasts cropped or letterboxed.

#2 - I don't know about cost, because all installation costs with DirecTv are somewhat negotiable, but it certainly will be easier to have the DECA hardware for Whole Home included with your initial install. Otherwise, they'll have to schedule a second visit, and you'll have to repeat the hassle of waiting around for their guy to show up.

Edited by Spoffo, 22 June 2010 - 01:08 PM.

Slimline dish with SWM8 & OTA antenna

Living room - HR24-500 with 1Tb eSATA fed native to Panny P54VT25 Plasma (3D capable). Onkyo 804 receiver, Oppo BluRay, Squeezebox, etc.
Office - HR20-700 with 1Tb eSATA fed Native to 20" Sharp LCD.
Kitchen - HR20-700 (no external disk) fed 720p to Samsung 23" LCD,
Bedroom - HR20-700 with 750 Gb eSATA fed native to 37" LG LCD

Networking: Office is hardwire CAT5 to router. Other 3 receivers are on DECA. All other gear in Living room is on separate MOCA link using old pre-SWM SAT 2 cables

All 100% self-installed

#3 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,265 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 22 June 2010 - 01:11 PM

Since it sounds like you are getting the MRV install you should be good to go. The one thing you might be lacking is the Internet Connection Kit. That allows the receivers to be connected to your home network and the Internet to allow DirecTV on Demand and PPV ordering via the Internet.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#4 OFFLINE   xceebeex

xceebeex

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 173 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 01:15 PM

Since it sounds like you are getting the MRV install you should be good to go. The one thing you might be lacking is the Internet Connection Kit. That allows the receivers to be connected to your home network and the Internet to allow DirecTV on Demand and PPV ordering via the Internet.

- Merg

What does the Internet Connection Kit consist of? Is it really necessary or just another way to get more money out of the customer?

#5 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,265 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 22 June 2010 - 01:19 PM

The Internet Connection Kit consist of a DECA unit and Power Inserter (PI) that is used to bridge your receivers to your home network. The cost of the DECA and the PI are generally more than $25, so if that is what DirecTV wants to charge you, you'd be saving money over doing it yourself. Some people have found that if they request Internet at the time of their MRV order, it has been included in the cost.

- Merg

#6 OFFLINE   xceebeex

xceebeex

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 173 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 05:10 PM

Bummer, it looks like I am going to have to cancel the install anyway. There are no locals available in my area (via Direct TV) and I watch shows on those channels so it is a non starter for me.

#7 OFFLINE   morgan79

morgan79

Legend

• Registered
  • 116 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 05:26 PM

does this only work on swm technology...

#8 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,265 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 22 June 2010 - 06:36 PM

Bummer, it looks like I am going to have to cancel the install anyway. There are no locals available in my area (via Direct TV) and I watch shows on those channels so it is a non starter for me.

You might have two options... One is DNS where you get your "locals" from the east or west coast networks. The other would be to get an AM21 OTA tuner to attach to your receivers. You would then hook up an antenna to the AM21 to get your locals over-the-air. The AM21 will pull the local channels into your on-line Guide. This will also allow you to get the subchannels offered by your local networks.

- Merg

#9 OFFLINE   flaguy

flaguy

AllStar

• Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 08:50 AM

For the internet connection, does it have to be hard wired or can it be wireless?

#10 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,850 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 08:53 AM

For the internet connection, does it have to be hard wired or can it be wireless?

The installers are told it must be hardwired.
The rest of us, have used wireless [with adapter] or even powerlines.
This normally works because the MRV traffic doesn't go through this leg and so slow speed doesn't affect it.
A.K.A VOS

#11 OFFLINE   xceebeex

xceebeex

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 173 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 08:42 AM

I just called customer service to see if I had everything on my order to connect the receiver to the internet and she said that as part of the Whole Home DVR service install it INCLUDES the Internet Connection Kit, does that sound right? I don't see a specific line item on my order summary that says Internet Connection Kit.

I just want to make sure everything gets done as part of the intial installation so I don't have to pay for them to come out at a later date (if it is not something I could do myself).

#12 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,850 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 08:52 AM

I just called customer service to see if I had everything on my order to connect the receiver to the internet and she said that as part of the Whole Home DVR service install it INCLUDES the Internet Connection Kit, does that sound right? I don't see a specific line item on my order summary that says Internet Connection Kit.

I just want to make sure everything gets done as part of the intial installation so I don't have to pay for them to come out at a later date (if it is not something I could do myself).

I think at this point, you've done everything you can and it is simply up to the installer and you NOT signing off on the work order, until you've got what you need.
A.K.A VOS

#13 OFFLINE   xceebeex

xceebeex

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 173 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 09:01 AM

I think at this point, you've done everything you can and it is simply up to the installer and you NOT signing off on the work order, until you've got what you need.

My only concern would be that if I was "misinformed" by a CSR that won't do me any good. I guess I will just have to wait and see.

#14 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,850 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 09:05 AM

My only concern would be that if I was "misinformed" by a CSR that won't do me any good. I guess I will just have to wait and see.

Ask six CSRs a question and you could get 8 different answers. :lol:
If you're getting the connected home service, then the internet connection is part of it.
A.K.A VOS

#15 OFFLINE   xceebeex

xceebeex

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 173 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 09:11 AM

Ask six CSRs a question and you could get 8 different answers. :lol:
If you're getting the connected home service, then the internet connection is part of it.

There is nothing specific on my order summary that says Connected Home service either. I basically asked the CSR if I would have everything that I needed to use phone apps, do on Demand stuff and PPV stuff and she said as part of the Whole Home DVR service install it included the Internet Connection Kit.

Well, I will just have to see what happens because I don't want to keep calling Customer Service and getting different answers, it just frustrates me.

#16 OFFLINE   rrh5150

rrh5150

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 07:03 PM

Hi - I already have the MRV capability with DECA, working fine, but want to hook up my network to my HD DVR receiver as well, in order to get On Demand capability.

Is there a difference between the one that was provided by the installer and the "internet connection kit?" that's available from DirecTV? Anything I can rig on my own?

Ideally I'd like to go wireless, but am fine with a long ethernet cord going into the basement back up into a room with my router but not sure what I need to do.

Also - if I do indeed need to order the 'Internet Connection Kit" from DirecTV, does that replace the one I have or do I need two now?

Thanks...Rick

Thanks.

#17 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,850 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 07:19 PM

Hi - I already have the MRV capability with DECA, working fine, but want to hook up my network to my HD DVR receiver as well, in order to get On Demand capability.

Is there a difference between the one that was provided by the installer and the "internet connection kit?" that's available from DirecTV? Anything I can rig on my own?

Ideally I'd like to go wireless, but am fine with a long ethernet cord going into the basement back up into a room with my router but not sure what I need to do.

Also - if I do indeed need to order the 'Internet Connection Kit" from DirecTV, does that replace the one I have or do I need two now?

Thanks...Rick

Thanks.

:confused: So you have a DECA network, but no internet access.
You need to add another DECA [and PI for power] and use this to bridge to your home network for internet access. If you can't connect this with an ethernet cable, then you can use a wireless adapter or even powerline adapter, since this doesn't carry the MRV traffic and can be at a lower bit-rate.
A.K.A VOS

#18 OFFLINE   rrh5150

rrh5150

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 07:26 PM

:confused: So you have a DECA network, but no internet access.
You need to add another DECA [and PI for power] and use this to bridge to your home network for internet access. If you can't connect this with an ethernet cable, then you can use a wireless adapter or even powerline adapter, since this doesn't carry the MRV traffic and can be at a lower bit-rate.

Thanks veryoldschool.. one more question if you don't mind! I just ordered the 'internet connection kit" from directv's website (it mentions an installer needs to come do that since i have the WHDVR service), so...i went ahead and scheduled it. $78...ugh.

1. I'll probably opt for the ethernet cable. Hopefully they'll supply it but who knows? I have to go about 25ft or so from the router down to the floor, underneath, and back up again.

What else do I need to know or do or have before they come out here to do something I probably could have done on my own? Just get a long-enough ethernet cable in case the installer doesn't have one?

Thanks again, Rick

#19 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,850 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 07:43 PM

Thanks veryoldschool.. one more question if you don't mind! I just ordered the 'internet connection kit" from directv's website (it mentions an installer needs to come do that since i have the WHDVR service), so...i went ahead and scheduled it. $78...ugh.

1. I'll probably opt for the ethernet cable. Hopefully they'll supply it but who knows? I have to go about 25ft or so from the router down to the floor, underneath, and back up again.

What else do I need to know or do or have before they come out here to do something I probably could have done on my own? Just get a long-enough ethernet cable in case the installer doesn't have one?

Thanks again, Rick

For that $78, I'd guess the installer will run a coax to your router location and then connect the DECA to it.
They aren't going to have a 25' ethernet cable with them, but they have coax.
A.K.A VOS

#20 OFFLINE   rrh5150

rrh5150

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 07:44 PM

Ah, got it now...thanks so much again.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...