Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

MRV dropping out almost daily on HR24's...

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bondheli

bondheli

Mentor

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 01:09 PM

I have 1 hr21 in the back room and 2 hr24's in the bedroom stacked together. Almost daily when watching tv the hr24's lose connection with each other and I have to reset them. Whats strange is more often than not they both stay connected with the hr21 even though only one of the hr24's has the deca? (white box) hooked to it. It's probably happening even more than I realize since I only watch tv a few hours a day. I've only had this setup for about a month, is this normal for the hr line or an hr24 specific bug? Any solutions? It's really starting to get annoying.:mad:
HR24's x2
HR21
R10 Tivo

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   mobandit

mobandit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 01:16 PM

I have 1 hr21 in the back room and 2 hr24's in the bedroom stacked together. Almost daily when watching tv the hr24's lose connection with each other and I have to reset them. Whats strange is more often than not they both stay connected with the hr21 even though only one of the hr24's has the deca? (white box) hooked to it. It's probably happening even more than I realize since I only watch tv a few hours a day. I've only had this setup for about a month, is this normal for the hr line or an hr24 specific bug? Any solutions? It's really starting to get annoying.:mad:

An HR24 should not have a DECA module attached to it. The DECA is built in to the HR24...

ETCM (SS/SW), USN (RET)
22 years, 4 months, 9 days

#3 OFFLINE   bondheli

bondheli

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 01:07 AM

An HR24 should not have a DECA module attached to it. The DECA is built in to the HR24...

I checked, and it is a deca module 1MR0-01. The installer connected it in line with the hr24 and the router because they are in the same room. I believe it is for internet connectivity for apps and on demand. I doubt it's the problem since I almost always stay connected to the hr21 from both hr24s.

Edited by bondheli, 23 June 2010 - 01:24 AM.

HR24's x2
HR21
R10 Tivo

#4 OFFLINE   DogLover

DogLover

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 06:26 AM

I checked, and it is a deca module 1MR0-01. The installer connected it in line with the hr24 and the router because they are in the same room. I believe it is for internet connectivity for apps and on demand. I doubt it's the problem since I almost always stay connected to the hr21 from both hr24s.

When you say "in line" with the HR24, what exactly do you mean. Is the DECA attached to the HR24's coax or ethernet port? If so, that is definitely an incorrect installation, and almost certainly a part of your problem.

The HR24 should have a coax straight from a splitter (or perhaps the power inserter). Nothing should be connected to the HR24's ethernet port.

The DECA should be connected with input from the splitter. The output (pigtail) coax should be connected to a DECA power inserter. The output ethernet should be connected to your router.
DogLover

My Setup

#5 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,241 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 23 June 2010 - 06:57 AM

If it is set up the way DogLover explains, go into the Network Setup and let us know what the IP addresses are of all 3 of your receivers.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#6 OFFLINE   bondheli

bondheli

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 07:08 AM

Nothing is connected to the hr24's ethernet ports. The deca box is connected to the coax cable.
HR24's x2
HR21
R10 Tivo

#7 OFFLINE   barryb

barryb

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,935 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 07:10 AM

Nothing is connected to the hr24's ethernet ports. The deca box is connected to the coax cable.

Is there an ethernet cable coming out of the DECA, and if so, where is this ethernet cable hooked up to?
Barry
MY SETUP
You can usually find me helping out in the Quiet Room on Friday chat night.

#8 OFFLINE   bondheli

bondheli

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 10:12 AM

Is there an ethernet cable coming out of the DECA, and if so, where is this ethernet cable hooked up to?

The ethernet cable is hooked from the deca to the router.
HR24's x2
HR21
R10 Tivo

#9 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,604 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 10:15 AM

The ethernet cable is hooked from the deca to the router.

...how about the other end of the Ethernet cable?
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#10 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,909 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 23 June 2010 - 10:18 AM

Is this what it looks like out of your HR24?

HR24 --> DECA --> central location

Or is it more like

HR24 --> splitter --> central location
             |
             ↓
POWER -->  DECA --> Home Network

DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#11 OFFLINE   bondheli

bondheli

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 12:03 PM

Is this what it looks like out of your HR24?

HR24 --> DECA --> central location

Or is it more like

HR24 --> splitter --> central location
             |
             ↓
POWER -->  DECA --> Home Network

I believe it is the second one, here are a few pictures:

My setup: 2 HR24's and a Belkin UPS
Posted Image

Here you can see my twin esata WD20EVDS 2TB Hard drives:
Posted Image

And here is the deca box hooked up to the incoming cable along with my master HR24 through a splitter. The eithernet goes from the deca box to a router:
Posted Image

Edited by bondheli, 28 June 2010 - 02:02 PM.

HR24's x2
HR21
R10 Tivo

#12 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,909 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 23 June 2010 - 12:28 PM

This looks correct .. going back to the central location, there should be another splitter. Is it also a green-label splitter? Are the open ports on the splitter at the central location terminated or empty?

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#13 OFFLINE   bondheli

bondheli

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 01:16 PM

This looks correct .. going back to the central location, there should be another splitter. Is it also a green-label splitter? Are the open ports on the splitter at the central location terminated or empty?

By central location do you mean the dish? The HR21 in the back room has a deca box as well but there is no splitter inside. Outside there is a green labeled 1 into 4 splitter with 3 cables going to the dvrs and 1 caped connection.
HR24's x2
HR21
R10 Tivo

#14 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,166 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 23 June 2010 - 01:28 PM

How about trying the front panel test on the 24. . . press right arrow / guide and post the two pages of coax results.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#15 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,909 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 23 June 2010 - 01:38 PM

By central location do you mean the dish? The HR21 in the back room has a deca box as well but there is no splitter inside. Outside there is a green labeled 1 into 4 splitter with 3 cables going to the dvrs and 1 caped connection.

Ah, so you have a SWiM-LNB that feeds the 4-way splitter .. Good that the 4-way is green and that part looks good. Running the test (as dennisj00 asked) would be helpful now.

As for the HR21 .. It does need a DECA attached as you described .. So that is correct:

HR21 -> DECA -> 4-way splitter outside

With the Ethernet of the DECA attached to the Ethernet port on the HR21. That all sounds like it is done correctly.

#16 OFFLINE   bondheli

bondheli

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 01:49 PM

Info:
Node IDS/ Friendly Names/ Mac Add/ PHY Levels
0/_____ Master HR24/_____ #/_____ 38
1/_____ Node-###/_____ #/_____ 34
2/_____ Slave HR24/_____ #/_____ N/A
3/_____ Node-###/_____ #/_____ 21

Dropped session count is 0

Seems to keep happening when I am playing a show from the slave hr24 on the master hr24 but I haven't been watching enough tv to exclude it from happening during other situations as well. Seems pretty regular now as it has happened for at least the last 3 days in a row, including twice yesterday.
HR24's x2
HR21
R10 Tivo

#17 OFFLINE   bondheli

bondheli

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 01:57 PM

No one else has this issue?
HR24's x2
HR21
R10 Tivo

#18 OFFLINE   mobandit

mobandit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 02:49 PM

It appears you may be one of the few...which lends itself to a possible faulty unit...

ETCM (SS/SW), USN (RET)
22 years, 4 months, 9 days

#19 OFFLINE   azarby

azarby

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,017 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 04:06 PM

Have you tried a reset of the SWiM and DECA. Pull the power plug on all receivers. Pull the power plug on the SWiM and DECA PI adapters. Plug in the SWiM PI and wait two to threee minutes. Plug in the DECA PI. Once this is done, power up each reciever, waiting until the previous one is fully booted before going to the next one. This usually clears up weird problems like you are experincing. If this doesn't work , you may have a bad router or bad DVR.

#20 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,241 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 28 June 2010 - 04:28 PM

Have you tried a reset of the SWiM and DECA. Pull the power plug on all receivers. Pull the power plug on the SWiM and DECA PI adapters. Plug in the SWiM PI and wait two to threee minutes. Plug in the DECA PI. Once this is done, power up each reciever, waiting until the previous one is fully booted before going to the next one. This usually clears up weird problems like you are experincing. If this doesn't work , you may have a bad router or bad DVR.

Just to add to that, if you have a router in the mix, make that is the first thing that you reset and power back on once you have everything unplugged.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

spam firewall