Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

MRV dropping out almost daily on HR24's...

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   frozenpenguin

frozenpenguin

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 10:52 AM

Mine (and I suspect many others') don't ever drop MRV, and I have an 'unsupported' hybrid network. Something isn't set up right.

Have you described somewhere exactly how your system is wired, and what your DECA readings are?

Deca readings range from 242-249. Coax plugged directly into HR24, nothing into its network jack, Deca units on the HR20 & HR21, Deca unit connected to my router with power adapter. PI inserted on one of my coax lines (After the 8-way green label SWiM switch).

Does that sound right?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   azarby

azarby

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,021 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 11:03 AM

Deca readings range from 242-249. Coax plugged directly into HR24, nothing into its network jack, Deca units on the HR20 & HR21, Deca unit connected to my router with power adapter. PI inserted on one of my coax lines (After the 8-way green label SWiM switch).

Does that sound right?

Have you tried the SWiM/DECA rest procedure I posted earlier in this thread. It is worth the try.

#43 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,755 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 11:30 AM

I am having the exact same issue with my HR24. It drops off MRV every day or so. My other receivers (HR20-700 & HR21-700) stay on fine. My system is wired correctly. Keep having to reset the HR24 and then it comes back up and connects fine. I may try a full network power-down/reset tomorrow if this keeps up. Very annoying.

Does that sound right?

First: your reading are good/great.
You're not the only one that has this problem [though I'm not one of them].
I wouldn't waste my time resetting the SWiM, since it has nothing to do with the DECA network. If I had SAT signal issues, then yes resetting the SWiM would be a good idea, but SWiM & DECA have zero interactivity.
I would reset my router first [pulling the power cord for a couple of mins should do this].
Next would be to pull the power cords on the receivers [or pull all the power cords while you're doing the router] and then let them boot up one at a time before moving to the next.
See how long this works, or doesn't.
Next would be to remove the ethernet cable from the DECA to router and reboot all the receivers. This will drop the internet and cause each receiver to pull its own IP address.
See if this keeps them all showing the playlist and updating them. Give this a couple of days to know if their all playing nice.
If so, then this might suggest there is a router problem, since it works without the router, BUT from another poster that changed their router, it didn't resolve the problem.
"THERE MAY BE" a problem with a few HR24s that is causing this. The more data/testing/users that help by running through the steps above, "we hope" to narrow down what this is.
A.K.A VOS

#44 OFFLINE   frozenpenguin

frozenpenguin

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 11:57 AM

First: your reading are good/great.
You're not the only one that has this problem [though I'm not one of them].
I wouldn't waste my time resetting the SWiM, since it has nothing to do with the DECA network. If I had SAT signal issues, then yes resetting the SWiM would be a good idea, but SWiM & DECA have zero interactivity.
I would reset my router first [pulling the power cord for a couple of mins should do this].
Next would be to pull the power cords on the receivers [or pull all the power cords while you're doing the router] and then let them boot up one at a time before moving to the next.
See how long this works, or doesn't.
Next would be to remove the ethernet cable from the DECA to router and reboot all the receivers. This will drop the internet and cause each receiver to pull its own IP address.
See if this keeps them all showing the playlist and updating them. Give this a couple of days to know if their all playing nice.
If so, then this might suggest there is a router problem, since it works without the router, BUT from another poster that changed their router, it didn't resolve the problem.
"THERE MAY BE" a problem with a few HR24s that is causing this. The more data/testing/users that help by running through the steps above, "we hope" to narrow down what this is.

I just did a full system power off/on procedure (including my router and all DTV equipment). System is working now, but for how long - who knows?

If problem persists, I'll try pulling the router cable off and see if that helps.

#45 OFFLINE   dwcolvin

dwcolvin

Icon

• Registered
  • 668 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 12:08 PM

IIf problem persists, I'll try pulling the router cable off and see if that helps.

You can't disconnect the DECA from the router. Each DECA-attached DirecTV receiver will periodically (interval determined by the router) renew its IP address via DHCP... it won't like it if it can't find the router. The router and DECA/Power Supply must remain connected and powered on (which is why installers are told to plug the DECA PS directly into an outlet, and not a power strip that might be turned off).

#46 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,755 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 12:34 PM

You can't disconnect the DECA from the router. Each DECA-attached DirecTV receiver will periodically (interval determined by the router) renew its IP address via DHCP... it won't like it if it can't find the router. The router and DECA/Power Supply must remain connected and powered on (which is why installers are told to plug the DECA PS directly into an outlet, and not a power strip that might be turned off).

:confused:
Since this is a troubleshooting step, and the receivers will need to be rebooted to assign their own IP addresses, WT.. are you trying to say?
This needs to be done to help isolate the problem/source.
A.K.A VOS

#47 OFFLINE   dwcolvin

dwcolvin

Icon

• Registered
  • 668 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 12:54 PM

:confused:
Since this is a troubleshooting step, and the receivers will need to be rebooted to assign their own IP addresses, WT.. are you trying to say?
This needs to be done to help isolate the problem/source.

He didn't say anything about rebooting the receivers after disconnecting from the router. That obviously would work, as the receivers would assign their own IP addresses (which will NOT work if the router/DECA is reconnected without another reboot (or, at least, Network Setup)

#48 OFFLINE   Barry in Conyers

Barry in Conyers

Godfather

• Registered
  • 353 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 01:09 PM

Anybody want to bet that most of the people who are having MRV / DECA / D*oD / internet connection problems are not powering their routers, switches and DECA modules from a UPS? Receivers and DVR's too, but they can pull a valid IP after a "power flicker" if the rest of the network is still up.

Just my opinion based on experience. YMMV.

#49 OFFLINE   frozenpenguin

frozenpenguin

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 01:30 PM

Anybody want to bet that most of the people who are having MRV / DECA / D*oD / internet connection problems are not powering their routers, switches and DECA modules from a UPS? Receivers and DVR's too, but they can pull a valid IP after a "power flicker" if the rest of the network is still up.

Just my opinion based on experience. YMMV.

I'll bet you because I have EVERYTHING hooked into UPS's. All receivers, PI, Deca, etc... Plus, power doesn't really flicker here anyway.

#50 OFFLINE   Barry in Conyers

Barry in Conyers

Godfather

• Registered
  • 353 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 01:37 PM

I'll bet you because I have EVERYTHING hooked into UPS's. All receivers, PI, Deca, etc... Plus, power doesn't really flicker here anyway.

I guess that makes you a majority of one. If your power never flickers, why do you need a UPS?

#51 OFFLINE   frozenpenguin

frozenpenguin

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 02:21 PM

I guess that makes you a majority of one. If your power never flickers, why do you need a UPS?

Better safe than sorry. Plus I got a bunch of UPSs for cheap a while ago.

#52 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,755 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 02:29 PM

I'll get into this from the "I have no issues" and don't have the router or receivers on UPS either.
A.K.A VOS

#53 OFFLINE   bondheli

bondheli

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 11:44 PM

Update on my issues:
One of my 2tb hard drives got the reset and attempting to fix errors screen for 2 days. After it finished it still wouldn't work, so I took it out wiped the drive and reinstalled it in the enclosure. Got the same fixing errors screen for another 2 days then it still didn't work. (Could be the enclosure since the drive worked fine in the computer)...?

So I have been running one of my HR24's on the internal hard drive for several days now and I am still experiencing the HR24's dropping out of the network.

As to some of the other posts, the deca box is powered from a wall wart hooked to the coax. The wall wart is plugged in to the UPS as well.

I'm going to call up Directv this week and have them come back out because this is getting ridiculous. This plus screwing up our auto billing for the last 3 months (requiring a 20 minute call each time), and the lack of fox and nbc in hd has got me really regretting my decision to commit to Directv for another 2 years. :nono2:
HR24's x2
HR21
R10 Tivo

#54 ONLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,689 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 06:49 AM

Update on my issues:
One of my 2tb hard drives got the reset and attempting to fix errors screen for 2 days. After it finished it still wouldn't work, so I took it out wiped the drive and reinstalled it in the enclosure. Got the same fixing errors screen for another 2 days then it still didn't work. (Could be the enclosure since the drive worked fine in the computer)...?

So I have been running one of my HR24's on the internal hard drive for several days now and I am still experiencing the HR24's dropping out of the network.

As to some of the other posts, the deca box is powered from a wall wart hooked to the coax. The wall wart is plugged in to the UPS as well.

I'm going to call up Directv this week and have them come back out because this is getting ridiculous. This plus screwing up our auto billing for the last 3 months (requiring a 20 minute call each time), and the lack of fox and nbc in hd has got me really regretting my decision to commit to Directv for another 2 years. :nono2:

Agreed calling them out is the best solution.

You definitely have something else going on there beyond any HR24 problem...the symptoms suggest a wider setup or connection problem.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

Protected By... spam firewall...And...