Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Regular receiver faster?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   scottbu123

scottbu123

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 07:24 PM

I have an SD DVR (R16) and a regular receiver (D11). The D11 is much, much faster (such as in opening and scrolling through the guide and changing channels). Is this normal?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   roadrunner1782

roadrunner1782

Icon

• Registered
  • 748 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 08:34 PM

Yes it is very normal. There is alot more going on inside the DVR so it takes a little longer to do things.

#3 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,808 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 22 June 2010 - 11:05 PM

And, if/when you upgrade to HD, you will find that some actions on the HD Receivers and DVRs are even slower yet.

#4 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 23 June 2010 - 06:43 AM

I have an SD DVR (R16) and a regular receiver (D11). The D11 is much, much faster (such as in opening and scrolling through the guide and changing channels). Is this normal?

Unlike the DVR, the standalone receiver does everything in RAM memory so it is very fast. The DVR needs to close a "live buffer" disk file and open a new one when you change channels. In addition, it needs to retrieve banner information & show description info from the hard drive. (Which you see on the top of the screen after changing channels) It has to search through much larger files of this information because the DVR keeps 2 weeks of programming info instead of only 3 days like the D11.

The HD DVR's are even slower as Carl6 pointed out probably due to the much more complex circuitry and the fact that it can store the MPEG4 HD files. In addition, the DVR is doing a lot of "housekeeping" in the background, like keeping a "guide cache" file updated as 2 weeks of program information is being sent to it. If you turn your DVR off and then turn it back on (unplug it from the wall or reset it) your 2 weeks of program info should still be there. On the D11 even a momentary power failure results in even the 3 days of program info to be erased.

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#5 OFFLINE   dishrich

dishrich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 12:39 PM

And honestly, comparing apples to apples, some of the older non-DVR SD receivers are/were faster than the current D line of receivers. I still use a Hughes HAH receiver, which was the last line of Hughes receivers made before D* went to their house branding. IMHO, it is still the fastest, easiest & most feature-ladden guide on any D* receiver made. (I also prefer the way the music titles scrowl as well...)

#6 OFFLINE   kingram52

kingram52

AllStar

• Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 03:53 PM

Are the HR24 DVR's faster?

#7 OFFLINE   doctrsnoop

doctrsnoop

Godfather

• Registered
  • 466 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 07:56 PM

Are the HR24 DVR's faster?

Yes they are (faster than the other HR's)

24 > 20 >21-23

5 - HR22-100 4 via regular ethernet, 1 via DECA, 2 HR21-700 networked via regular ethernet, HR21-100 networked via DECA, H25-500
R15-500 Inactive, H20-600 (ECO 2.0) inactive,D11 (Humax LD2060) inactive
Slimline 5 w/ SWM8 parallel w/ SWM16 w/DECA

#8 OFFLINE   codespy

codespy

Go Pack Go!

• Registered
  • 695 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 05 August 2010 - 11:09 PM

24's run circles around the 21-23's. Still got some 20's w/built in OTA that are faster than 21-23's.

Some day all my DVR's will be 24's w/AM21's.....if I get my way.

11 DirecTV HD-DVR's including a Genie and GenieGO

#9 OFFLINE   Dude111

Dude111

Legend

• Registered
  • 475 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 12:59 AM

These boxs do not have alot of ram in them so the more you load it down,THE SLOWER THEY ARE!!

One reason why i dont have ANYTHING like that (I just have a standard IRD)

#10 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 09 August 2010 - 07:10 PM

These boxs do not have alot of ram in them so the more you load it down,THE SLOWER THEY ARE!!

One reason why i dont have ANYTHING like that (I just have a standard IRD)

I used to think that way too. But then in 2007 DirecTV offered me a FREE R15 and FREE DVR service for a year for a new 2 year commitment. I thought to myself "whoppee, a disk-based VCR which I already have".

HAH!! If I ever had to go back to watching "live TV" (with the proliferation of OBNOXIOUS commercials) I'd climb the walls!!!

Whatever you do, DON'T get a DVR or you WILL BE HOOKED (even if they do act kind of lethargic when responding to remote commands).

By the way, WELCOME to DBSTALK.COM! :welcome_s

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

spam firewall