Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Low Audio on Local (LIL) Channels

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 23 June 2010 - 06:21 AM

This morning when I flipped on my receiver and tuned to a local channel, I discovered that the sound was so low that the TV had to be cranked way up. This, of course, presents an unpleasant surprise when you tune to a non-local channel and the neighbors can suddenly hear your TV. :mad:

I discovered the problem occurred on ALL local channels (I am in the Milwaukee market) so I thought I'd waste my time and call DirecTV. I couldn't believe it. I got a CSR who DIDN'T tell me to reset my receiver! Not only that, I got an explanation and even a date when it should be fixed!!

Supposedly, DirecTV is doing an "equipment upgrade" :confused: and this is affecting local channels NATIONWIDE. The so-called "upgrade" is scheduled to be complete on JULY 2nd when the audio will return to normal. Seems kind of irksome to subject their customers to inferior local service for a week when DirecTV's competitors are chomping at the bit to lure away customers...

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   flaguy

flaguy

AllStar

• Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 08:29 AM

Thomas,

Same problem here in Georgia with Atlanta locals.

#3 OFFLINE   tadtam

tadtam

AllStar

• Registered
  • 86 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 05:10 PM

Same here in Boston

Even non locals are lower, but not as bad..
“There are 10 kinds of people in this world,
those who know binary and those who don't."

#4 OFFLINE   Xagoth

Xagoth

Mentor

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 06:09 PM

Same here in Chicago area.

Was watching a non local channel, volume was fine.

I had two shows set to record on locals at 7pm CST and when it tuned to them, the volume was so low I couldn't even make out what was being said.

So far, seems to just be locals that are this way for me. Other channels are fine.

Could be my imagination, but audio sync seems WAY off as well on recorded programs.

#5 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 08:00 PM

Same issue here today in Central Michigan.
"He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else."

#6 OFFLINE   Avder

Avder

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 08:22 PM

All of Fargos SD locals are a lot higher volume than every other channel. OTA locals through my AM21 are same volume as everything else, so I just use those instead of the ones off the satellite.

#7 OFFLINE   anitag0122

anitag0122

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 03:28 PM

Same here in Pa. Audio so low on some channels even turning sound up all the way isn't sufficient. I hope they do correct the problem by July 2. This is getting old. It's the local channels as well as many of the others.

#8 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,097 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 04:19 PM

DirecTV is testing out an automatic audio levelling system which sets the audio level on all SD channels (not just locals). Many people are reporting that the audio level is too low.

#9 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 03 July 2010 - 09:20 PM

I spoke to a CSR on Friday (July 2) which is when an earlier call to a CSR to complain about the low audio on the SD channels told me it would be "fixed". Of course, nothing has changed other than instead of just the LIL (local) channels being affected now ALL the nationwide SD channels are.

"Lots of customers are complaining" the CSR revealed and the engineering department is "working on it". Uh-huh. I have to turn several of my TV's almost all the way up just to hear the audio clearly.

I can't believe with DISH and cable doing everything in their power to get customers to switch that DirecTV would decide to "equalize the audio levels" but in real life screw the audio up on the SD channels and irk customers for several weeks now. It's bad enough that people are constantly complaining about the audio dropouts on the HD channels... :mad:

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#10 OFFLINE   Taltizer

Taltizer

Legend

• Registered
  • 189 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 09:29 PM

Ive noticed it the last few days with HLN SD on ch.204 it was fine before but now i have to crank up up about 20 bars on my tv this is odd.

#11 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 04 July 2010 - 04:52 PM

Ive noticed it the last few days with HLN SD on ch.204 it was fine before but now i have to crank up up about 20 bars on my tv this is odd.

I too watch HLN (ch 204) and I can hardly hear it. It is one of the WORSE channels for low audio level. Some TV sets (like a couple of my small ones like one in my kitchen) don't have "home theatre" type audio amplifiers but just a little tiny speaker. On this TV I literally have to turn it all the way up and it still isn't very loud.

It isn't as bad on my flat screen TV connected to my R22 (I don't have HD) but it still is MUCH MUCH lower than before. Not only do you have to be careful if you switch to a DVD or game that you don't blow out the speaker, you have to be careful if you decide to watch a show you recorded prior to this fiasco. Playing back an older recording reminds you just how low the audio now is.

I wonder how much longer this is going to go on before folks start migrating to a service they can HEAR? (I.E. DISH, cable, FIOS, U-Verse)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...