Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Toy Story 3, Don't waste your money....

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,081 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 10:31 AM

Close... First 9 movies though. Dreamworks has put more flicks out there and on avg their success (critics and box office revenue) doesn't match. But still fun to compare them, I found this

I like both companies though, but Pixar seems to have a certain magic while Dreamworks pushes pop-culture buttons. Still, I like both. Try to watch Shrek 1, its just not as funny anymore because they relied on pop culture references.

I'd tend to agree....both are certainly cash cows for sure though... :D:lol:
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,418 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 05:10 PM

Sorry, but I didn't like the movie. To me it was a video game (with some drama attached on the sides).

Not nearly as good as TS1 and TS2.

#23 OFFLINE   ShawnL25

ShawnL25

Icon

• Registered
  • 570 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 10:20 AM

I saw it about three months ago in 2D and really loved it. I took my daughter to see it opening weekend in 3D and the movie still killed me it was so good, but the 3D seemed unnecessary. I’d say absolutely see Toy Story 3 but skip the 3D.

#24 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,190 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 09:54 PM

Sorry, have to disagree with everyone.

I thought the 3D was excellent and added to the value of the experience. I like what Pixar is doing overall with 3D. No gimmicky in your face stuff. They tell the story and allow the 3D to become part of the experience without being distracting. Kind of like what they did with Up.

As far as paying the extra? Sure. The Technology behind bringing 3D to movie theaters has not reached the home market yet (I don't consider the current home standard to be on the same caliber as the equipment and standards used in digital theaters). I don't mind forking over a few extra bucks to see the latest technology (I'm a geek that way).

Luckily, there is still choice. They run these movies in both 2D and 3D. That's a good thing.

#25 OFFLINE   revm1m

revm1m

AllStar

• Registered
  • 75 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 02 July 2010 - 10:07 PM

I saw it in 3D , because I had 4 free tickets. Loved the movie, hate 3Ds. Will never watch another movie in 3D. It is kind of dark and nothing special .

#26 OFFLINE   ycebar

ycebar

Legend

• Registered
  • 109 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 10:09 PM

I agree with Chris i loved the 3d and thought it brought more enjoyment to the movie

#27 OFFLINE   itzme

itzme

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 10:14 PM

Sorry, have to disagree with everyone.

I thought the 3D was excellent and added to the value of the experience. I like what Pixar is doing overall with 3D. No gimmicky in your face stuff. They tell the story and allow the 3D to become part of the experience without being distracting. Kind of like what they did with Up.

As far as paying the extra? Sure. The Technology behind bringing 3D to movie theaters has not reached the home market yet (I don't consider the current home standard to be on the same caliber as the equipment and standards used in digital theaters). I don't mind forking over a few extra bucks to see the latest technology (I'm a geek that way).

Luckily, there is still choice. They run these movies in both 2D and 3D. That's a good thing.

You're not disagreeing with me. I said in an early post that I thought it enhanced the experience. I also think it was tastefully done.

#28 OFFLINE   cadet502

cadet502

FHNSAB

• DBSTalk Club
  • 846 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 05:28 PM

Saw it yesterday, only went 3D because that was the only choice. I was concerned I wouldn't be comfortable with the 3D glasses on top of my regular glasses, turns out it didn't bother me much. I thought they did a good job with not making the 3D part of the story. I enjoyed the story, and more than the 3D, I thought the theater experience with sprinkeld giggles and laughter from the kids in the audience added to the enjoyment.

#29 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,418 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 02:28 PM

For what it's worth, I thought TS3 was in the bottom 25% of Pixar films. Granted, that's still better than most everything else out there!

#30 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,076 posts
  • LocationTeays Valley, WV

Posted 04 July 2010 - 05:55 PM

I agree. Definitely #3 of the TS series.

Saw it in 3D as that was the most convenient time.

My Setup

#31 OFFLINE   prospect60

prospect60

Legend

• Registered
  • 188 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 06:17 PM

Yeah, me too. Isn't is amazing how Pixar has that power. Even more amazing, name a Part 3 of any movie that was as good and even better than Parts 1 and 2. Name another studio whose first 9 movies were as big hits, too!

Back to the Future might be a close call.

Harry Potter is close.

James Bond certainly qualifies on first count and I think the first 9 were all considered hits with the worst (#1 Dr No and #9 Man With a Golden Gun) earning an estimated Box Office of $425M inflation adjusted USD and grossed a minimum 8X Budget . I'm not sure if Goldfinger qualifies as a Part 3 or not.

So far I'd rate all of the Pixar at least 4 1/4 out of 5 stars and so far I can't think of any of them that I would turn down for repeat viewing. I do admit I like Cars more than many people who for some reason can't get past the NASCAR part of the story even though it's almost irrelevant to the real plot. The Toy Story's come as close to a trio of 5 star movies as I can think of though TS2 is likely my favorite. TS3 hit me hard and in a completely different way than 1 and 2 even though i went in expecting an emotional reaction. Both my kids grew up with these characters with my youngest in almost the exact same spot as Andy.

Went and counted again and TS3 is actually PIXAR's 11th movie

Edited by prospect60, 04 July 2010 - 07:33 PM.

#32 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,123 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 04 July 2010 - 06:26 PM

My problem with Pixar movies is they're so visually stunning that I'm looking at the beautiful PQ and missing the story. :lol:
When I bought my parents their first 1080p set, I put "Up" in the BR for Dad to show him how gorgeous 1080p is after being with a 720p set. He was in awe.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#33 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,076 posts
  • LocationTeays Valley, WV

Posted 04 July 2010 - 06:34 PM

As far as paying the extra? Sure. .......I don't mind forking over a few extra bucks to see the latest technology (I'm a geek that way).

They run these movies in both 2D and 3D.

But our local theater converted all its screens to Sony 4KDigital Cinema. So why should I have to pay extra to see a movie in "A" when the same movie sans 3D is being shown in "B" on the same equipment? Am I really paying $3 to borrow their glasses?

My Setup

#34 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,499 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 12 July 2010 - 07:25 PM

I'm glad I'm not the only guy that got choked up. Hard to rank them, Pixar does so well every time for me.

I have two gripes with Pixar. Finding Nemo supposedly comes out on Blu when Toy Story 3 is released. Where is Incredibles? And it seems coming up is mostly sequels, Cars 2 and Monster's Inc 2. Brave is new, but I'm not into what looks like a Disney Princess movie.

#35 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,928 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 12 July 2010 - 08:02 PM

I saw Toy Story 3 today. IMHO, it wasn't as good as Toy Story 2, but it is still a good film. But, then again, I consider Cars and A Bugs Life to be Pixar's worst films, and they are still good.

One of the things that bugged me about the film is how much it relied on references to the two previous films. I don't mind a reference here or three, but there was a bit of a overreliance on those references. I even felt that the ending of 3 was a slight rehash of 2.

On the other hand.... TOTORO!!!! Sorry, had to get that out of my system.

As for 3D... doesn't work for me very well. Most of the time, I just see out of one eye, although I can easily switch between the two. Thus, the 3D effect doesn't work for me.
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

#36 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,081 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 05:24 AM

Well....with out-of-town company coming in a couple weeks...and a free ticket for one adult...we'll end up seeing this flick soon. Based on all the testimony so far here...it seems we have a bit of a mixed bag of reviews...so this should all prove to be interesting when 5 of us see it (a wide range of different ages)
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#37 OFFLINE   ethanson12

ethanson12

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 07:21 AM

Toy story 3 is a nice animated movie .After seeing this movie I do not think any one waste their money .The story of the movie is Woody, Buzz and the gang are back. As the owner Andy prepares to leave for college, toys faithful are in daycare where little ones wild with their sticky little fingers do not play well. So it's all for one and one for all who join counterpart Barbie, Ken, a hedgehog named Mr. Pricklepants thespian and a pink, strawberry scented teddy bear called Lots-o'-Huggin Bear plan their great escape

#38 OFFLINE   dmurphy

dmurphy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,676 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 08:04 AM

Agreed Chris. So long as this continues to be the case, I'm happy, since 3D really ruins the experience for me. I can't see 3D since my eyes aren't 'aligned' properly ....

#39 OFFLINE   ncxcstud

ncxcstud

Icon

• Registered
  • 591 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 08:14 AM

All the Toy Story movies hold a special place in my heart. It was the first major release after my parents' divorce was final, so I fell into that movie to escape into at times.

I've truly enjoyed each and every one. And I boohooed like a baby at this one.

I'm still pretty certain that each person views the movie differently based on their situations in life (duh right?). Right now, my wife and I are expecting our first child, a girl, in October - so I can somewhat empathize with the plot of truly growing up. Also, I'm on internship in Alabama and I'll be leaving here in 1.5 weeks to go back to seminary for my final year. So, that pulled at my heart strings as well.

I loved this movie. I love all the Pixar movies. I initially didn't like Cars because it was, well...somewhat of an animated Doc Hollywood. But, the more I watch it, the better I think it is...
40" Samsung LCD - LN40B640 (living room)
42" Samsung DLP - HLS4266W
DirecTV HR20-700 Receiver
DirecTV H24-100 Receiver
DirecTV HR24-100 Receiver
Pastor of All Saints Lutheran Church in Mason, MI
XBOX Live, Battle.net, and PSN gamertags - ncxcstud

Protected By... spam firewall...And...