Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Good Signal - But....

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   tommiet

tommiet

Godfather

• Registered
  • 313 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 03:47 PM

Problem called in due to pixelation on multiple channels. Dish offered to move me to the AE. Worked for me as I was starting to shot through trees and $15.00 was a lot cheaper than cutting down trees!

But even after the change out, and excellent signal, I'm still having drop outs or "pixelation" on some channels - local and others. It does not happen all the time and I have started recording the problem so I can show a tech.

I figured unless I could prove it was doing it, they won't find the problem or fix it.

Other then signal strength, what else can cause these drop outs?
**** HARDWARE *****
2 Dish Hoppers (Gave up trying to get a Joey to work)
VIZIO 55” and 48" TruLED LCD 3D HDTV with VIZIO
JVC HDI RX-D402B Receiver
2 SLINGBOX PRO'S

#2 OFFLINE   tedb3rd

tedb3rd

Godfather

• Registered
  • 357 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 07:09 PM

The most likely cause is a bad aim/alignment... but you're saying that's been checked(?)... Does the pixelation seem to be occurring on certain channels? On the channels where you are getting pixelation, hit the info button twice so the window appears (and it's not transparent). It will tell you which sat that channel is coming from. See if there is a consistency. If there is, it's likely something blocking the signal, but not completely... Like leaves... A cable run that's too long or bad cable might be the problem--but I emphasize might as in probably not... The cable must be RG-6 the whole way. When they installed the dish, did they use existing cable in the house (between the dish and the receiver) or did they run new cable themselves? I've had bad cable (construction workers got a little too macho with the staple gun) and it was pinched/damaged... but that made it so the receiver couldn't even 'see' the LNBs... much less a signal strength.

A while back I saw a DirecTV install that didn't work correctly because it was RG-6 cable all the way except for one piece that was about 4 feet long. That made certain channels work fine but other channels nothing... We ended up calling tech support and learned that it's called 'signal trap'... Is there any part of your cable between sat and receiver that's not RG-6? I've heard that there's no tolerance for RG-59 cable with the newer receivers... and 722 would count as new.

Let us know what you find out.

#3 OFFLINE   kucharsk

kucharsk

Godfather

• Registered
  • 468 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 09:02 PM

Note that due to severe thunderstorms in recent days at their uplink center in Cheyenne, WY, there have been tiling issues on several channels that has nothing to do with your signal.

#4 OFFLINE   Ohioankev

Ohioankev

Legend

• Registered
  • 214 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 09:41 PM

Bad wiring can do it. I recently had to have a cable replaced because of signal loss for brief moments that would stop the DVR from recording. They had to come out twice, first time they realigned the DISH and the second time they replaced the wiring.

Thanks for filling me on on the problems in WY, I had issues trying to record TV shows tuesday night on court TV.

#5 OFFLINE   Dave

Dave

Icon

• Registered
  • 864 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 10:03 PM

Even on the AE package you still have to go thru the trees to get a signal. Bad news is you may have to do some chopping on some trees to get a clear line of site.

#6 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 07:26 AM

Even on the AE package you still have to go thru the trees to get a signal. Bad news is you may have to do some chopping on some trees to get a clear line of site.

What is an AE package?

I know what Eastern Arc is and I know the programmer A&E but your AE package is unknown.:):):)

#7 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 24 June 2010 - 08:14 AM

America's Everything

#8 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 01:54 PM

America's Everything

Context sounds more like a change to Eastern Arc rather than a change to Americas Everything. If using abreviations they need to be clear as to what is being discussed.:):):)

#9 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 24 June 2010 - 02:59 PM

EA is Eastern Arc which is a direction of sats, AE which is America's Everything is a programming package, but its easy to see some getting confused or even possibly misunderstanding the CSR. If they are talking about LOS issues its most likely about Eastern or Western Arc related and not programming package related.

#10 OFFLINE   RASCAL01

RASCAL01

Godfather

• Registered
  • 294 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 01:10 PM

Problem called in due to pixelation on multiple channels. Dish offered to move me to the AE. Worked for me as I was starting to shot through trees and $15.00 was a lot cheaper than cutting down trees!

But even after the change out, and excellent signal, I'm still having drop outs or "pixelation" on some channels - local and others. It does not happen all the time and I have started recording the problem so I can show a tech.

I figured unless I could prove it was doing it, they won't find the problem or fix it.

Other then signal strength, what else can cause these drop outs?

I had the same problem with drop outs. The fix was tech installed new wiring inside. I guess 622 did not like old cable wire
RASCAL01
DISH 622, Hopper, Hopper2, Joey
TOSHIBA REGZA 55 LED/LCD 24O HZ
SONY AV 5.1 SOUROUND SOUND
SONY 3D BLUE RAY PLAYER

spam firewall