Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

New Customer: How can you get the H24 equipment?

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   fatpug

fatpug

AllStar

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmatio
  • 77 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 06:42 PM

The customer service rep at Directv told me if I sign up they can not guarantee me the newest equipment. I don't want to commit to a 2 year agreement and start with old equipment.

Any suggestions on how to get a new install with the newest model equipment?

Thanks

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,398 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 06:59 PM

The surest way to get the newest equipment is to purchase it yourself. All DirecTV's equipment is functionally the same so it really would make no difference what model you receive. Some of the newset is a bit faster in response to commands, but they still work the same.
HR20-700(2.0TB)>Sony XBR-55HX929
HR20-700>Sony KDL40V2500
OTA RS outdoor ant
Hardwire networked to Cysco Router 6.0 AT&T DSL
MRV enabled
R15-500>Samsung LNT2342H
DirecTV customer since 1997

#3 OFFLINE   paragon

paragon

Godfather

• Registered
  • 354 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 07:04 PM

You could cancel the install (or ask the installer to reschedule) if they show up with older equipment.

#4 OFFLINE   bixler

bixler

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 07:08 PM

The customer service rep at Directv told me if I sign up they can not guarantee me the newest equipment. I don't want to commit to a 2 year agreement and start with old equipment.

Any suggestions on how to get a new install with the newest model equipment?

Thanks

Purchase the boxes on your own at Best Buy or through Solid Signal or Newegg.
Slimline5.....SWM 8.....SWS-8 8 way splitter
PI feeds SWS-8 splitter and HR 21-100 in Media Room 0x62c 3:59am 12/18/12
SWS-8 splitter feeds HR 22-100 in Family Room 0x62c 3:59am 12/18/12 wireless ethernet connection via Linksys WET610N
SWS-8 splitter feeds HR 22-100 in Master Bedroom 0x62c 3:59am 12/18/12
SWS-8 splitter feeds H 21-100 in Guest Bedroom 0x45d2 3:27am 6/27/12

#5 OFFLINE   skatingrocker17

skatingrocker17

Godfather

• Registered
  • 270 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 07:15 PM

You should get the newest hardware, I signed up for DirecTV last Thursday and got it installed Monday and I got 3 HR24-100s and 1 HR24-500.

#6 OFFLINE   sunfire9us

sunfire9us

Godfather

• Registered
  • 371 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 08:20 PM

Purchase the boxes on your own at Best Buy or through Solid Signal or Newegg.

Not sure about Newegg but can tell you the retail outlets such as BB and Costco NO LONGER have any of the DTV receivers or dvrs avail now. Solid Signal would be the way to go.

#7 OFFLINE   mrfatboy

mrfatboy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 322 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 08:42 PM

You can ask the CSR ( and probably their supervisor) to credit your account for the cost of the HR24 ($199). Then go and buy it online to guarentee an HR24. I actually did this today. However, I was not a new customer. That might make a difference.

BTW, newegg is out of stock on hr24. I'm not sure if they are ever going to get more in. I ordered mine for 6ave.com for $184 shipped.
DirecTV since '99, Grandfathered DNS Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox | HR24-500 | HR23-700 | Unsupported MRV

My Network Setup

My Computer Setup

#8 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 934 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 08:57 PM

yeah thats it waste the time of a technician who is out trying to make a living by just rescheduling the job just know that some techs dont get paid to just drive around they have to close jobs to get paid so dont be a prick

#9 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,942 posts
  • LocationOutside Portland, ME

Posted 23 June 2010 - 09:01 PM

Only problem with purchasing your own equipment (Well, not really purchasing) is that Directv won't install it for free. To get the free install you have to lease it from them, and they'll only connect what they bring. If you get it yourself, you'll also have to get and install the dish yourself, as well as the cabling. If you want Directv to do it, you'll have to pay them. I know, I think it's stupid too. They should just be able to guarantee you the newest receivers.
Also keep in mind that no matter what you do, whether you get the receivers from Directv or online, you're not buying the receivers, you're leasing them. They're STILL Directv's property.

#10 OFFLINE   Xsabresx

Xsabresx

Icon

• Registered
  • 981 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 09:14 PM

This is not directed specifically at the OP but I dont get why people HAVE to have the HR24 (threads everywhere asking how to get one). All of the boxes work the same. While the HR24 is faster how fast does it need to be? I get wanting the "newest" thing but I wonder if half the people asking for it would know if they got one or not just by watching tv.

I am sure my HR20 is faster than my HR23 but since they arent side by side I dont even notice it.
since 2001

HR20-700 -- LG 55LH55 LCD
HR23-700 -- Sony KDL-60EX500 LCD
HR21-100 --Vizio VA26LHDTV10T
H24-100 -- Hitachi 51F59 Rear Projection
H24-100 -- Some tube that wont die

#11 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,007 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 09:36 PM

You could cancel the install (or ask the installer to reschedule) if they show up with older equipment.

This practice is not cool at all. These installers are hard working people who need to earn money too you know...
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#12 OFFLINE   Chris97038

Chris97038

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 10:41 PM

yeah thats it waste the time of a technician who is out trying to make a living by just rescheduling the job just know that some techs dont get paid to just drive around they have to close jobs to get paid so dont be a prick

While I understand this point of view, one must also realize that you make a 2 year commitment to the service and you should get the hardware you want. You are PAYING for it. If the speed difference was small it would not be such a big deal but the older receivers just plain suck. My installer called ahead like they say they will, and i asked him what hardware he was bringing. He told me for ALL THEIR NEW INSTALLS they use the 24 series. This could be unique to my area though. I would not plunk down my own money for a receiver unless it was the new (mythical) Tivo unit.

#13 OFFLINE   paragon

paragon

Godfather

• Registered
  • 354 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 06:09 AM

This practice is not cool at all. These installers are hard working people who need to earn money too you know...

It's perfectly reasonable to expect the newest equipment for a new install (either new customer or additional box) and to not accept anything else.

#14 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,007 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 06:13 AM

It's perfectly reasonable to expect the newest equipment for a new install (either new customer or additional box) and to not accept anything else.

No, it's not. The equipment you get is completely up to DirecTV. Refusing an install just because you're not getting what you want is not only wasting the time of the installer, and taking money from him, it's immature.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#15 ONLINE   betterdan

betterdan

Icon

• Registered
  • 907 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 06:37 AM

Yea, instead you should accept what you get no matter if you like it or not and let the installer and Directv take money from you.

;)

#16 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,007 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 07:04 AM

Yea, instead you should accept what you get no matter if you like it or not and let the installer and Directv take money from you.

;)

Or just go about it the right way and get the gear from an online retailer if you're so picky about what unit you get. :D
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#17 OFFLINE   xceebeex

xceebeex

Legend

• Registered
  • 173 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 07:08 AM

No, it's not. The equipment you get is completely up to DirecTV. Refusing an install just because you're not getting what you want is not only wasting the time of the installer, and taking money from him, it's immature.

I am guessing that you are an installer. This makes no sense. If I, as a new customer, want a new box and specifically request it, I don't see the issue. I am signing a new 2 year commitment where I am basically "stuck" with whatever box that I get unless I want to start the 2 year clock all over to upgrade units.

The difference here is the installer may lose a "little" money depending on how they get paid, but that particular customer has much more at risk.

#18 OFFLINE   Xsabresx

Xsabresx

Icon

• Registered
  • 981 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 07:09 AM

I am guessing that you are an installer. This makes no sense. If I, as a new customer, want a new box and specifically request it, I don't see the issue. I am signing a new 2 year commitment where I am basically "stuck" with whatever box that I get unless I want to start the 2 year clock all over to upgrade units.

The difference here is the installer may lose a "little" money depending on how they get paid, but that particular customer has much more at risk.

What is the risk? You're getting equipment that does exactly what Directv offered you.
since 2001

HR20-700 -- LG 55LH55 LCD
HR23-700 -- Sony KDL-60EX500 LCD
HR21-100 --Vizio VA26LHDTV10T
H24-100 -- Hitachi 51F59 Rear Projection
H24-100 -- Some tube that wont die

#19 OFFLINE   paragon

paragon

Godfather

• Registered
  • 354 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 07:10 AM

It's up to the customer what they deem an acceptable transaction. If DIRECTV has policies that end up taking money out of the installer's pocket when they fail to satisfy a customer, that's DIRECTV's fault, not the customer's.

#20 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,007 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 07:11 AM

I am guessing that you are an installer.

No, I'm not. I just don't like to see hardworking people lose money because someone wants to be immature and throw a temper tantrum because they don't get what they want which they weren't promised in the first place.

This makes no sense. If I, as a new customer, want a new box and specifically request it, I don't see the issue. I am signing a new 2 year commitment where I am basically "stuck" with whatever box that I get unless I want to start the 2 year clock all over to upgrade units.

It may not make sense but it's DirecTV's policy. They cannot guarantee what units you will get, period.

How would you like to lose a "little" money because a customer of yours wants to be infantile? I'm guessing you wouldn't like it much no matter how much money it is.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Protected By... spam firewall...And...