Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

dumbest question ever.. don't rip me..

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bjlc

bjlc

Icon

• Registered
  • 957 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 08:19 PM

okay.. I bought a used Sony Trinitron yesterday and it has hook ups for red blue and green.. and I tried to use them with my Directv box tonight.. and nothing happend.. no picture..

what did I do wrong..

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 08:21 PM

Did you select component as your input on the TV?

#3 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,906 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 23 June 2010 - 08:21 PM

Did you change the TVs input?
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#4 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 08:24 PM

okay.. I bought a used Sony Trinitron yesterday and it has hook ups for red blue and green.. and I tried to use them with my Directv box tonight.. and nothing happend.. no picture..

what did I do wrong..

What the above poster said would be the first thing to check.. The second would be is it really COMPONENT RGB input, or the older type used for computer monitors which I think are different. FWIW, the GREEN cable is the control cable, so if it isnt connected well, none of the others will work. Maybe try downloading a manual for your model and check to make sure its really a component input.

Secondly, your DVR/receiver will HAVE to be set to 480i for it to work.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#5 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 08:25 PM

The Red Green Blue on the TV does not = the Yellow Red White on a standard box.

Edited by RobertE, 24 June 2010 - 05:25 AM.

Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#6 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 08:25 PM

If I remember correctly, on a Sony Trinitron (nice older tv depending on the size/age) in order to even select the component input, you must go into the tv's menu settings and turn the component input's availability on. My old 300lb JVC has the same setting.
"He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else."

#7 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 08:30 PM

You can set the box to 480i using the res button on the front.

#8 OFFLINE   dcandmc

dcandmc

Legend

• Registered
  • 276 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 08:44 PM

What model DirecTV receiver do you have hooked up to the TV?

#9 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 09:13 PM

Sony made many models of SDTVs with component video inputs, intended for "progressive scan" DVD players. The highest supported format will be 480p. 480i will also work, but not 720p or 1080i, so if the sat receiver is set to one of those higher formats, it won't work.

#10 OFFLINE   Xsabresx

Xsabresx

Icon

• Registered
  • 981 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 09:16 PM

Sony made many models of SDTVs with component video inputs, intended for "progressive scan" DVD players. The highest supported format will be 480p. 480i will also work, but not 720p or 1080i, so if the sat receiver is set to one of those higher formats, it won't work.

Didnt Sony make a line of early HD Trinitrons that didnt have an HDMI connection?
since 2001

HR20-700 -- LG 55LH55 LCD
HR23-700 -- Sony KDL-60EX500 LCD
HR21-100 --Vizio VA26LHDTV10T
H24-100 -- Hitachi 51F59 Rear Projection
H24-100 -- Some tube that wont die

#11 OFFLINE   dishrich

dishrich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 09:56 PM

Sony made many models of SDTVs with component video inputs, intended for "progressive scan" DVD players.

They also made many TV's (as well as many other brands did) with component inputs, that did NOT work on progressive scan equipment. (ie: 480i) I still have a 35" XBR that is such an animal...

Either way, I tend to think this is the OP's problem:

The Red Green Blue on the TV does not = the Yellow Rew White on a standard box.

You'd be surprised how many people seem to think there is NO difference between the two... :eek2:

#12 OFFLINE   taz291819

taz291819

Godfather

• Registered
  • 385 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 01:50 PM

The second would be is it really COMPONENT RGB input, or the older type used for computer monitors which I think are different.

That's RGB, which isn't component, and needs more than just three cables. Usually, it needs five cables, and mostly referred to as RBG+HV. The other two cables carry the horizontal and vertical sync.

And as you said, Green carries the HV sync on component (aka, YPbPr).

#13 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,242 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 24 June 2010 - 03:24 PM

Dumbest question ever...don't rip me...

That 's not the dumbest question I've ever heard,
but welcome to the 20th Century anyway. :sure:

Posted Image

Posted Image

...and welcome to DBSTalk.com :welcome_s

Edited by Nick, 24 June 2010 - 03:36 PM.

~ 12 Year Anniversary Month ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#14 OFFLINE   dog6869

dog6869

Mentor

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 03:33 PM

What is the Exact model Number of the SONY and how old the TV is...
It would be 5 cables two of them are Audio...

#15 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,950 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 24 June 2010 - 03:34 PM

That's RGB, which isn't component, and needs more than just three cables. Usually, it needs five cables, and mostly referred to as RBG+HV. The other two cables carry the horizontal and vertical sync. ...

Actually "RGB" is technically a type of analog component signal, and the RGB+HV cords typically with BNC connectors usually occur on one end of a "VGA Break Out" adapter cable with a familiar PC analog HD-15 VGA connector on the other end.

... And as you said, Green carries the HV sync on component (aka, YPbPr).

Correct, and this much more common "component" signal is sort of confusing since the green colored plug and jack actually carries the colorless "Y" luminance or brightness signal with the periodic horizontal and vertical sync added to it. Whereas the other red and blue plugs/connectors carry the "Pr" and Pb "signals which correspond to the R-Y and B-Y chrominance difference primaries respectively.

#16 OFFLINE   Dark Horse

Dark Horse

Mentor

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 03:49 PM

I added an HD DVR to my SD TV (an older JVC) just a few days ago. When I tried to setup the DVR with the component cables, I wasn't getting an image at all. I ended up having to use an S-Video cable to get the DVR setup started and then switched to the component input. I got an image, but it was a weird split screen. It wasn't until I had finished the complete setup and had changed the video settings to the proper ratio (4x3 for my old box) with only 480i being supported that I could get the proper image through the component cable. Hopefully it's something easy like this for you as well.

#17 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,950 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 24 June 2010 - 05:05 PM

I added an HD DVR to my SD TV (an older JVC) just a few days ago. When I tried to setup the DVR with the component cables, I wasn't getting an image at all. I ended up having to use an S-Video cable to get the DVR setup started and then switched to the component input. I got an image, but it was a weird split screen. It wasn't until I had finished the complete setup and had changed the video settings to the proper ratio (4x3 for my old box) with only 480i being supported that I could get the proper image through the component cable. Hopefully it's something easy like this for you as well.

I used to use the component outputs on DirecTV HD-DVRs hooked up SDTVs, but now use only the s-video because frankly I could not see any PQ difference between 480i component and s-video and for some reason found the s-video signal to be somewhat brighter.

I was also tired of temporarily losing the picture during receiver resets or firmware updates since for some reason the HD-DVRs always default to 480P on the component (and HDMI) outputs during these operations.

#18 OFFLINE   georule

georule

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 06:08 PM

bjlc, you ignorant slut.

Sorry, Chevy Chase made me do it. :)

Edit: geo, you ignorant slut, it was Dan Aykroyd. :rolleyes:

#19 OFFLINE   racermd

racermd

Legend

• Registered
  • 131 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 06:48 PM

Mostly true, but not 100% accurate. I recently retired (and sold) a Sony 60" CRT rear-projection TV that had component inputs. It was purchased sometime in 1999 or 2000, long before the standards had finished settling.

Anyway, the component inputs would accept 480i, 480p, and 1080i (no 720p for some reason, likely due to the standards still being settled, like I mentioned). In addition, my current DLP units will accept any HD signal up through 1080i (no 1080p) on component inputs.

Component video cables are capable of sending a higher resolution signal than 480i/480p, but the equipment needs to support it. Most likely, an older CRT Sony Trinitron doesn't, but a blanket statement about what standards component video cables can or will carry will likely be inaccurate. The only way to know for sure is to read the documentation or specs about the devices at both ends of that connection.

#20 OFFLINE   betterdan

betterdan

Icon

• Registered
  • 898 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 06:53 PM

The first HDTV I got was a Panasonic 47 inch rear projection and all it had was component. I watched the few 1080i shows there were back then around 2000 on Directv in 1080i on it. It would also do 480p and i but no 720p

spam firewall