Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Ken Crane's Closing

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,466 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 24 June 2010 - 08:55 AM

Folks in Southern California will have one less chain to visit when shopping for home theater audio. Ken Crane's will close all stores over the next two months.
more: http://www.hdtvmagaz...nes-closing.php

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,878 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 08:59 AM

Yes, I heard this over the weekend. Sadly it's no big deal. I'd been in there three or four times in the last decade. There was never a great selection, although they did carry the really high-end stuff, higher than Magnolia.

It's a shame when businesses close but this one was not a major player in my life.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#3 OFFLINE   drded

drded

Godfather

• Registered
  • 373 posts
  • LocationTucson, AZ

Posted 24 June 2010 - 09:05 AM

I can remember when they were t-h-e place to find LaserDiscs. They seemed to have the best mail order selection anywhere!

Many moons ago!

DAve

5LNB Slimline
HR34-700 & HR24-200
HDMI > HDMI Switch > Toshiba DLP
NetGear Ethernet Switcher

#4 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,182 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 09:06 AM

Bummer! I used them as my source of laserdiscs when I was stationed overseas back in the late 80's and 90's. Great service. I must have purchased over 100 from them. It's sad to see them go.

#5 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,838 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 09:09 AM

I thought that sounded familiar. I had their Lazerdisc catalog back in the day, but I don't think I ever ordered anything.

#6 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 10:20 AM

I saw this in the trades. Too bad. I bought LaserDiscs from them, too.

This article doesn't say it, but Ken Crane's went from their best year ever in 2006 to out of business four years later. Wowzah. It's obviously the economy, but it's also a changing marketplace. In 2006, people were buying HDTV flat screens like crazy. Not any anymore. Ken Crane's has always had a great emphasis on video, and when the market - and their margins - fell apart, so did they.

Here's the article in T.W.I.C.E.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#7 OFFLINE   employee3

employee3

Legend

• Registered
  • 155 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 10:10 PM

Oh people are still buying HD flat screens like crazy (that's all that really available anymore), but they are buying them from Walmart and Target.

People don't really need to depend on sales people either. You can get all the info and opinions you need from the internet. How many times have you walked into a CE retailer and knew far more than the salesperson... nearly everytime for me.

The land of salespeople not being salespeople is here. There are no more salespeople in CE. They are all clerks or associates or team members... no commision = no reason to be knowledgeable.
C'mon people, it's just TV.

#8 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,207 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 27 June 2010 - 03:02 PM

Stopped in there a few times when I lived in Southern California, always thought they were more expensive compared to the other guys..

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q4 2014 Set-Up

#9 OFFLINE   Bigriff

Bigriff

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 06:34 AM

And, tv's are very low margin.

#10 OFFLINE   V'ger

V'ger

Icon

• Registered
  • 549 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 10:36 AM

Just to post a minor correction. The AV hardware people and the laserdisc people were two different companies (father and son) and were located across the street from each other on Beach Blvd in Westminster. (I know there were more than 1 hardware store, but to my knowledge, there was only the one laserdisc store). The laserdisc outfit was sold many years ago to Image Entertainment and then went to online DVD sales (PlanetDVD?) which eventually was bought out by another internet DVD retailer.

I was a frequent visitor to the laserdisc store in the 1990s. I would make two or three business trips to LA each year and made the drive to Westminster every time and lugged a huge number of laserdiscs back via airline carry on. My last visit there was when they were finally phasing out laserdiscs and going DVD exclusive (1999) and I found nothing DVD that I couldn't get locally.

I was in the Beach Blvd AV hardware store across the street one time in the mid-'90s. I remember seeing the original 42" Philips Plasma TV there on display for $45,000.

Probably the last thing to kill them was the California Energy requirements for TVs. The mid-to-high end TVs probably couldn't be sold under the new rules and created a gap in their biggest market segment.

Sad to hear they are gone.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...