Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation (Official Q3 2010 Thread)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4781 replies to this topic

#3261 OFFLINE   dhkinil

dhkinil

Icon

• Registered
  • 649 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 02:04 PM

Imagine if it were in HD! How would you get any work done?

Well, I would have more saliva stains on my clothes from watching Amy Matthews in HD. :lol:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#3262 OFFLINE   georule

georule

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 02:54 PM

That is correct!

Though I'm not discussing the issue anymore, I still find URFloorMatt's list to be the "definitive" list for channel availability across providers... and given the similarities in look of the list, I felt a nod should be given, but it's really none of my business, and I'm going to stay out of the matter from now on.

For a comparison list between the two satellite companies, I felt Hoosier205 did a VERY good (and fair) job, and I felt he deserved credit for it.

Other than that, I have every intention of staying out of the matter.

~Alan

Giving credit for significant input is not supposed to rely on personal relations --either the significant input was there, or it wasn't. That simple.

#3263 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,661 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 26 August 2010 - 03:04 PM

Giving credit for significant input is not supposed to rely on personal relations --either the significant input was there, or it wasn't. That simple.

Huh?! :confused:

~Alan

#3264 OFFLINE   Syzygy

Syzygy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 03:34 PM

If I might presume to speak for georule, and also with him, we should treat our contributions to the board as a collaborative effort including people we may have a bone to pick with, and we should acknowledge those occasions when we "stand on the shoulders of others." (I believe the original quote, from Isaac Newton, has "giants" in place of "others.")
Frank TiVangelist since Aug 1999, HD since Dec 2002, DirecTV since Aug 2004, DECA/MRV since Nov 2010
HR24-100 > HDMI > Pio 5020FD plasma
HR24-100 > HDMI > Sony KV30HS420 tube

DirecTV & Dish HD Channel Spreadsheet
DirecTV & Dish HD Channels Listed by Package

#3265 OFFLINE   je4755

je4755

Godfather

• Registered
  • 382 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 03:39 PM

As one with aperiodic input into this (and earlier like threads) – usually bemoaning the slow pace of national HD additions – thanks very much to Hoosier205 for his efforts.

#3266 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,661 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 03:58 PM

If I might presume to speak for georule, and also with him, we should treat our contributions to the board as a collaborative effort including people we may have a bone to pick with, and we should acknowledge those occasions when we "stand on the shoulders of others." (I believe the original quote, from Isaac Newton, has "giants" in place of "others.")

I have no "bone to pick" with Hoosier205 or anybody. I disagree with several people on an issue... nothing more.

I felt that Hoosier205 did an EXCELLENT job with the list he created, and felt that it should be acknowledged.

Hence why I don't understand georule's comment... :confused:

~Alan

#3267 OFFLINE   Syzygy

Syzygy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 04:18 PM

This is starting to sound like Abbott & Costello's "Who's on first?" routine. ;) I thought Hoosier205 had a "bone to pick" with the original creator of the HD channel table over at AVS (for not including certain channels). That's all.
Frank TiVangelist since Aug 1999, HD since Dec 2002, DirecTV since Aug 2004, DECA/MRV since Nov 2010
HR24-100 > HDMI > Pio 5020FD plasma
HR24-100 > HDMI > Sony KV30HS420 tube

DirecTV & Dish HD Channel Spreadsheet
DirecTV & Dish HD Channels Listed by Package

#3268 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 04:22 PM

Let's not worry about it. We have a list. I consider it ours...forum wide. I hope people use it and contribute. The more the better.

It will also be helpful for new folks as well. Put it in your sig and point people in that direction.
DTV = Digital Television

#3269 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,661 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 04:27 PM

This is starting to sound like Abbott & Costello's "Who's on first?" routine. ;) I thought Hoosier205 had a "bone to pick" with the original creator of the HD channel table over at AVS (for not including certain channels). That's all.

Oh. Now I understand your point. If that is indeed georule's point, my beliefs are not important to the issue. I can respect Hoosier205's satco comparison list, and I can respect URFloorMatt's multichannel provider's comparison list.

That's what I choose to do. I'm leaving it at that. :)

~Alan

#3270 OFFLINE   klambert

klambert

AllStar

• Registered
  • 74 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 04:58 PM

Money where mouth is. Our holdup was the dreadful 160gb DVRs Comcast has locally. They just introduced their whole house DVR service with a 500gb model to our area. I don't even really care much about the whole house, but that's enough storage. Installation's thursday.

Maybe in six months, DTV will have added more HD that isn't ppv or premium, but I'm not holding my breath. Maybe Comcast will screw it up somehow, but for the moment, Comcast is not only the better deal, but have more HD.

They lasted five hours. Bait and switch on a discount and the DVR is set to stretch SD channels by default and if you manually set it not to (through a hidden menu) it will revert back the next time it refreshes data.

#3271 OFFLINE   georule

georule

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 05:00 PM

~Alan

I was actually agreeing with you re I too feel "a nod should be given", and additionally added my reasoning --that "agreement" should not be the determining factor in such instances.

If I'm writing a book or article about Hilter, and quote from Mein Kampf, I certainly hope no one would make any assumptions about "agreement" by me footnoting the source.

#3272 OFFLINE   davidatl14

davidatl14

Icon

• Registered
  • 543 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 07:32 PM

It is bad information if it does not accurately reflect the number of HD channels available. Period. End of story. Any other definition determines the VALUE of those HD channels. For that you need to look at them all.

When I am making a value judgement on a carrier, I need to know everything. If I am a sports guy, I want to know that I can get RSNs or YES or whatever. I want to be able to judge. Keeping ANY channels out of the count (yes, that includes the 101) is determining FOR me a value judgement.

It is an unfair count when you remove anything. DirecTV is seen as a sports provider. Dish as basic HD. Fios a a premium movie provider. All those count.

Don't give me any nonsense about channels being on many systems. That is making a judgement on the channel. Even the crappy .tv channels on Fios should be counted. Just as VOOM was (and should have been) back when it was a Dish exclusive.

These are HD Channels. Period. Any count that excludes channesl people can buy is bad information.

Exactly!
May The Best of Your Past be the Worst of Your Future!

#3273 OFFLINE   hatchet

hatchet

Legend

• Registered
  • 124 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 08:16 PM

After watching the newly released trailer for 'The Walking Dead' (http://bit.ly/a5qUGN, basically 28 Days Later as a series), which is coming to AMC on October 31st, I have to jump on the AMC HD bandwagon. Come on, D*! :)

No AMCHD on D*...wasn't pissed, didn't care...until now! No zombies in HD :icon_cry:
HR24 - HDMI - Pioneer Kuro PDP-5080HD
H24 - HDMI - Sony KDL-46NX700
H24 - HDMI - Sharp LC32D47U

#3274 OFFLINE   BigRedFan

BigRedFan

Legend

• Registered
  • 229 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 10:35 PM

Alright, the first draft of the channel lineup comparison has been posted. The link to it is in my signature. Feedback would be appreciated.

Hoosier, very nice job with this comparison list !...

I believe there are 2 networks which should also be added to the List which AVS does not list, just like the RSN's exclusion:

1) Univision-HD
2) TeleFutura-HD

Both are nationally carried by DTV and DISH but AVS keeps refusing to list them because they also happen to have "broadcast" affiliates besides the National HD satellite carriage... I hope you agree that they should also count, just like the RSN's...

And in the future, other networks with broadcast affiliates which get National HD carriage on cable/satellite should also be included--- such TBN, ION, HSN, CTN, Jewelry TV, Telemundo, Azteca America, Mega TV--- once their HD feeds get national satellite carriage...

Thanks again !

#3275 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 10:38 PM

Hoosier, very nice job with this comparison list !...

I believe there are 2 networks which should also be added to the List which AVS does not list, just like the RSN's exclusion:

1) Univision-HD
2) TeleFutura-HD

Both are nationally carried by DTV and DISH but AVS keeps refusing to list them because they also happen to have "broadcast" affiliates besides the National HD satellite carriage... I hope you agree that they should also count, just like the RSN's...

And in the future, other networks with broadcast affiliates which get National HD carriage on cable/satellite should also be included--- such TBN, ION, HSN, CTN, Jewelry TV, Telemundo, Azteca America, Mega TV--- once their HD feeds get national satellite carriage...

Thanks again !

Yes, I agree. I'll add those two at some point on Friday and the others when they become available.
DTV = Digital Television

#3276 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,214 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 11:29 AM

Alright, the first draft of the channel lineup comparison has been posted. The link to it is in my signature. Feedback would be appreciated.

I'll have to take a look ...
As for feedback - I note a little leaked into this thread. PMs and posts in the "comparison" thread would be more appropriate than further posts in this "anticipation" thread. :)

#3277 OFFLINE   QuickDrop

QuickDrop

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 02:47 PM

Why did this thread lose 3 Hrs worth of posts?

#3278 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,661 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 02:50 PM

They were moved to a more appropriate thread.

Only a few more days left in August. I'm anticipating a Festivus in September.

I'm hoping for AMC, BBC America, Turner Classic Movies, etc...

~Alan

#3279 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 03:39 AM

Are there supposed to be some new HD channels in Sept?

#3280 OFFLINE   iceturkee

iceturkee

DINFOS Trained Killer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,106 posts
  • Locationdaytona beach, fl

Posted 28 August 2010 - 05:33 AM

Are there supposed to be some new HD channels in Sept?

sr posted a few days ago that there would be more hd in approximately 6 weeks, maybe sooner. number of channels to be determined.

spam firewall