Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Missing One Piece for Perfect DECA Install

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   woodardhsd

woodardhsd

AllStar

• Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 01:32 PM

Got a new house I'm moving to next week, using movers connection, and getting DECA with Internet Connection Kit installed. Right now I have a HR22 and an H21, taking both with us. I didn't plan on getting MRV when we moved, so I think I may me missing 1 cable run for the optimal installation.

I had the electricians run 2 lines to the family room for the HD-DVR (just in case I didn't get SWiM) and 1 line to the bonus room, where the HD receiver will be. The 3 bedrooms have 1 run each, but I won't have any receivers there right now. 1 Bedroom will be used for the office so I will have the Cable Modem and Router there.

I guess I can have just the MRV using DECA without connecting the DECA cloud to the internet. But since it's included in my install, I'd like to see if I can make it work.

I have 2 (maybe more) options:
1. Can I run a network cable from the router to where the receiver is in the bonus room? Would I need any other hardware?
2. There's a cable run that goes to the master bedroom that runs right alongside the run to the office. Could I (or the installer) cut that line, install a deca/swm splitter and run another line down the wall to the office, then connect it to the DECA that's connected to the router?

Thanks for any help, I feel like I'm getting information overload reading all these posts.

Edited by woodardhsd, 06 July 2010 - 07:35 AM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   azarby

azarby

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,045 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 02:09 PM

Got a new house I'm moving to next week, using movers connection, and getting DECA with Internet Connection Kit installed. Right now I have a HR22 and an H21, taking both with us. I didn't plan on getting MRV when we moved, so I think I may me missing 1 cable run for the optimal installation.

I had the electricians run 2 lines to the family room for the HD-DVR (just in case I didn't get SWiM) and 1 line to the bonus room, where the HD receiver will be. The 3 bedrooms have 1 run each, but I won't have any receivers there right now. 1 Bedroom will be used for the office so I will have the Cable Modem and Router there.

I guess I can have just the MRV using DECA without connecting the DECA cloud to the internet. But since it's included in my install, I'd like to see if I can make it work.

I have 2 (maybe more) options:
1. Can I run a network cable from the router to where the receiver is in the bonus room? Would I need any other hardware?
2. There's a cable run that goes to the master bedroom that runs right alongside the run to the office. Could I (or the installer) cut that line, install a deca/swm splitter and run another line down the wall to the office, then connect it to the DECA that's connected to the router?

Thanks for any help, I feel like I'm getting information overload reading all these posts.

In any room where the Ethernet is in close proximity to a DTV coax, just put in a splitter and add the DECA adapter and power supply. Plug the ethernet into the DECA and you should be good to go. No need for any elaborate cable runs.

#3 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 02:12 PM

You could use a wireless adapter for the DECA for the internet. Since only internet traffic goes through that adapter, wireless will be fine. I bet you could even find one for sale in the Buy/Sell Forum. ;)

#4 OFFLINE   woodardhsd

woodardhsd

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 02:31 PM

In any room where the Ethernet is in close proximity to a DTV coax, just put in a splitter and add the DECA adapter and power supply. Plug the ethernet into the DECA and you should be good to go. No need for any elaborate cable runs.

That's the thing, the (wired) ethernet is only going to be in one room (office). The whole house is wired with cat-5, but it is just daisy-chained around the house. Electrician said it is designed more for phone than data, and there's only RJ11 plates installed.

The cable run i would have to put in would only be about 12-15 ft long. The line that runs to the master bedroom seriously runs right along the attic wall and keeps going right past where the line to the office is routed down through the wall top plate.

Edited by woodardhsd, 24 June 2010 - 02:54 PM.

#5 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,267 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 24 June 2010 - 02:50 PM

If you are getting DECA installed with the Internet Connection Kit, that is the setup for MRV. In order to have DECA, you need to have SWiM installed. So, it would seem that you should be having everything you need for a SWiM/DECA install.

For connecting to your home network, where the wiring comes out in the bedroom where the router is, you would just hook up a DECA and PI there with an ethernet cable to the router.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#6 OFFLINE   woodardhsd

woodardhsd

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 02:54 PM

If you are getting DECA installed with the Internet Connection Kit, that is the setup for MRV. In order to have DECA, you need to have SWiM installed. So, it would seem that you should be having everything you need for a SWiM/DECA install.

For connecting to your home network, where the wiring comes out in the bedroom where the router is, you would just hook up a DECA and PI there with an ethernet cable to the router.

- Merg

Unfortunately, I only have 1 cable run to that bedroom, and it is going to be used by the cable company for internet. I wish I had gotten them to run 1 more line to that room too.

#7 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 03:04 PM

[Cough] Wireless [/Cough]

:D

#8 OFFLINE   Yog-Sothoth

Yog-Sothoth

Legend

• Registered
  • 102 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 05:52 PM

Or powerline... I had good luck with it, but your results may be quite different.
HR21-700 | HR23-700 (2) | H24-700
DECA MRV setup, including one module connected to a WAP/switch (for PS3 and Xbox 360) and another connected directly to a Slingbox

#9 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,267 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 24 June 2010 - 07:45 PM

Unfortunately, I only have 1 cable run to that bedroom, and it is going to be used by the cable company for internet. I wish I had gotten them to run 1 more line to that room too.

In that case, as Hilmar2k coughed, you would need to use wireless. In that case, one of the runs to your receiver would be split and the DECA and PI attached there. The DECA would then be connected to a wireless ethernet adapter that would connect back to your router. You would need to set up the adapter via your PC or a laptop first so it would have the correct security settings.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#10 OFFLINE   woodardhsd

woodardhsd

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 06:32 AM

So for the wireless, I would need something like this?

Posted Image

Performance wise, having the DECA wired would be better than wireless, right? I could spend $55 on a wireless adapter, or I could have an extra coax line run. :confused:

#11 OFFLINE   Dradran

Dradran

AllStar

• Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 12:46 PM

Or powerline... I had good luck with it, but your results may be quite different.

I have my HR21 connected to the internet with a Powerline adapter from the living room up to the office since I have Comcast internet and DECA won't transmit on the same cable. Have not noticed any issues.

Edited by Dradran, 25 June 2010 - 12:50 PM.
Changed MRV to DECA

#12 OFFLINE   rahlquist

rahlquist

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 01:34 PM

Posted Image

Performance wise, having the DECA wired would be better than wireless, right? I could spend $55 on a wireless adapter, or I could have an extra coax line run. :confused:

I have two of these linksys. The farthest about 35 feet above the router and through the hardwood floor, hung ceiling, and 1 wall as the crow flies gets over 30mpbs on wireless N 2.4ghz. Works fine for me. But if you have the opportunity for a few bucks more to have another cable drop installed, I would go that route as long as it doesn't compromise your move in time or your install visually. Hardwired is always preferable if possible.

#13 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 02:01 PM

Posted Image

That will work nicely. If you need one of those, let me know (or visit the Buy/Sell forum). As long as it's not too far from your router, there will be no performance difference between that and wired. Again, since it's just interent going through it, it will absolutely provide faster-than-internet speeds.

#14 OFFLINE   woodardhsd

woodardhsd

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 07:33 AM

My installers came out Friday and did my install. The installed a new SWiM dish with splitter outside the house, and a DECA at each receiver. They got the Multi Room Viewing working after about 4 hours and several software downloads and resets. They (there were two) had no clue how the DECA system worked and were on the phone with another tech almost the entire time. I asked them if they had any training on the DECA system and they said they hadn't.

I had requested the internet connection kit, but they couldn't tell me what I would need to make that work. I asked them about splitting one of the lines in the house to run another coax to the office but they said "you cant put any splitters with the swm", and that I would have to run a network cable from one of the TV's to the office. I'm pretty sure I overheard the tech that whey were talking to on the phone say they could install a "2-way switch" and run another line to the office.

Now I have to get this figured out how to make this work and call them back to schedule another appointment.

#15 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,943 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 07:47 AM

My installers came out Friday and did my install. The installed a new SWiM dish with splitter outside the house, and a DECA at each receiver. They got the Multi Room Viewing working after about 4 hours and several software downloads and resets. They (there were two) had no clue how the DECA system worked and were on the phone with another tech almost the entire time. I asked them if they had any training on the DECA system and they said they hadn't.

I had requested the internet connection kit, but they couldn't tell me what I would need to make that work. I asked them about splitting one of the lines in the house to run another coax to the office but they said "you cant put any splitters with the swm", and that I would have to run a network cable from one of the TV's to the office. I'm pretty sure I overheard the tech that whey were talking to on the phone say they could install a "2-way switch" and run another line to the office.

Now I have to get this figured out how to make this work and call them back to schedule another appointment.

:eek2: So what was that thing they installed outside the house? :eek2:
They needed to either run another coax off the first splitter to where your router is, or split one coax [2-way splitter] and run a coax off your router. On this line they need to use another DECA and the 18 volt PI to power it. This then has a ethernet cable to your router.
A.K.A VOS

#16 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,644 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 07:47 AM

You need to call back DirecTV and have them send someone else out to properly install your broadband DECA. Sounds like they may have just put a 2-way splitter on your SWiM LNB, connected to the cables running to your two HR's. If they put a 4-way splitter, they could have easily connected the cable running to your office to it as well. That cable could then be attached to a DECA connected to your router, to make your broadband connection.

You do not need a second coax line run into your office. If at some point you want a receiver in that room as well, you can just split the existing office cable end with a 2-way, and send one leg to the broadband DECA and the other leg to another DECA or receiver with DECA built-in.

Edited by Steve, 06 July 2010 - 07:53 AM.

/steve

#17 OFFLINE   woodardhsd

woodardhsd

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 08:11 AM

:eek2: So what was that thing they installed outside the house? :eek2:
They needed to either run another coax off the first splitter to where your router is, or split one coax [2-way splitter] and run a coax off your router. On this line they need to use another DECA and the 18 volt PI to power it. This then has a ethernet cable to your router.

No kidding. This is what I asked him about and that's when he told me "no switches"

You need to call back DirecTV and have them send someone else out to properly install your broadband DECA. Sounds like they may have just put a 2-way splitter on your SWiM LNB, connected to the cables running to your two HR's. If they put a 4-way splitter, they could have easily connected the cable running to your office to it as well. That cable could then be attached to a DECA connected to your router, to make your broadband connection.

You do not need a second coax line run into your office. If at some point you want a receiver in that room as well, you can just split the existing office cable end with a 2-way, and send one leg to the broadband DECA and the other leg to another DECA or receiver with DECA built-in.

They installed a 4-way splitter outside and only used two terminals.

The house is brand new and wired with RG6 to every room. I had to use the RG6 that runs to the office for our cable internet access. I don't have another run to that room. There are 2 lines that run above the office to other rooms (not currently used) that I was going to try to split down into the office.

Edited by woodardhsd, 06 July 2010 - 08:18 AM.

#18 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,026 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 08:13 AM

They installed a 4-way splitter outside and only used two terminals.

The house is brand new and wired with RG6 to every room. I had to use the RG6 that runs to the office for our cable internet access. I don't have another run to that room. There are 2 lines that run above the office to other rooms (not currently used) that I was going to try to split down into the office.

Do the other 2 (unused) terminals on the splitters have termination connectors on them?

[They should not be sitting "open" with nothing connected]
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#19 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,927 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 06 July 2010 - 08:15 AM

There are a couple of options that the installers should have done ..

(1) run a new coax line from the dish (or a splitter :rolleyes:) to your office and then connected directly to your router

(2) you run a CAT-5 to any location in your house where the coax runs are located (reciever, splitter, new run even) so that you can tap from there into the router.

(3) a wireless adapter (as shown above) especially if you already have wireless. It will have to be configured on your PC and then removed from your PC and connected to the DECA in a location with both coax and power.

---

The first option is likely the least expensive/time consuming for you, but the cabling may be left in a location that is not aesthetically pleasing - your mileage may vary there. So if their installation may cause you concern from a "looks" perspective, then either of the other two options can be used as well.

In any event, the installers gave you the wrong answer.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#20 OFFLINE   woodardhsd

woodardhsd

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 08:18 AM

Do the other 2 (unused) terminals on the splitters have termination connectors on them?

[They should not be sitting "open" with nothing connected]

Yes, they did this right.

There are a couple of options that the installers should have done ..

(1) run a new coax line from the dish (or a splitter :rolleyes:) to your office and then connected directly to your router

(2) you run a CAT-5 to any location in your house where the coax runs are located (reciever, splitter, new run even) so that you can tap from there into the router.

(3) a wireless adapter (as shown above) especially if you already have wireless. It will have to be configured on your PC and then removed from your PC and connected to the DECA in a location with both coax and power.

---

The first option is likely the least expensive/time consuming for you, but the cabling may be left in a location that is not aesthetically pleasing - your mileage may vary there. So if their installation may cause you concern from a "looks" perspective, then either of the other two options can be used as well.

In any event, the installers gave you the wrong answer.

I'd rather go the wired route, using the splitter in the attic. I can fish the wire myself and let them make the connections. Everything will be out of sight and easy to access later.

Edited by woodardhsd, 06 July 2010 - 08:27 AM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...