Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Missing One Piece for Perfect DECA Install

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,902 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 06 July 2010 - 09:02 AM

I'd rather go the wired route, using the splitter in the attic. I can fish the wire myself and let them make the connections. Everything will be out of sight and easy to access later.

Just make sure there is a 110v outlet close by. You can either wire the cable into a jack and use the short Ethernet cable with the DECA or simply terminate the long CAT-5 cable and plug directly into the DECA. The tail on the DECA will connect to the power supply that comes with the kit and the installer will need to use a short coax cable to connect from the F-Connector on the DECA to your splitter. Then (assuming other end of Ethernet cable is connected to your router), you should see green lights on your DECA and be done.

What kind of temperatures do you see in the attic over the summer? It will probably be OK, but I'm not exactly sure what temp is "too high" for the DECAs.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   woodardhsd

woodardhsd

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 09:19 AM

Not sure how hot will get up there. I wasn't planning on putting the DECA in the attic, however, just the splitter.

The RG6 will run down inside the wall into a jack. The jack is behind our computer desk so I have power and the router close by.

#23 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,902 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 06 July 2010 - 09:38 AM

Not sure how hot will get up there. I wasn't planning on putting the DECA in the attic, however, just the splitter.

The RG6 will run down inside the wall into a jack. The jack is behind our computer desk so I have power and the router close by.

Gotcha .. I was confused thinking that you were running a CAT-5 up to the splitter, but your bringing the coax down to the office instead it sounds. That's likely a better solution with regards to the heat and should work just fine.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#24 OFFLINE   woodardhsd

woodardhsd

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 09:47 AM

You got it. I attached a diagram of the how the final install would look. Hopefully everything will work.

Attached Thumbnails

• DIAGRAM.JPG

#25 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,412 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 09:53 AM

You got it. I attached a diagram of the how the final install would look. Hopefully everything will work.

That looks fine "with" terminations used on the unused ports/cable.
A.K.A VOS

#26 OFFLINE   woodardhsd

woodardhsd

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 09:56 AM

yeah, my ms paint skills are kinda lacking. There will be terminations on all unused ports.

#27 OFFLINE   woodardhsd

woodardhsd

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 08:30 PM

Got my last DECA after all.

The "supervisor" didn't have much of a clue either, but he brought me a DECA power inserter, and added a splitter onto an existing line. They also put connectors on the cable that I had ran before they got here.

He didn't bring a DECA with him, so he had to have the original techs bring by another one later. By that time, I had stolen one of the receiver upstairs and already had it hooked up to the router.

spam firewall