Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Adventures in Whole Home DVR Install

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dfunk

dfunk

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 04:36 PM

I had a tech out today to set me up with Whole Home DVR... I ended up canceling the install and then calling customer retention. For reference, my current setup is:
1 HR20-700
1 R15-500
1 H20-100

I was told that the R15 and H20 were not compatible and would require replacement. The CSR agreed to replace the R15 with an HD-DVR and the order was completed including swap H20 for new HD receiver, do the Whole Home DVR Upgrade incl. ICK, and free install... total was $110 incl tax. I was happy, but expected that the CSR was misinformed and the techs would bring me an R22 for the R15.

The techs showed up today and were prepared to replace the R15 with new HD-DVR, but it became clear that they didn't really know what they were doing. I was told the following:

1.) I need a new dish. (Under "System Info & Test" in setup menu, it says I have "Slimline-5" next to "Dish Type". It was installed in 2006 when the H20 was brand new and the HR20 was not out yet). They were not going to charge for this.

Do I need a new dish for SWiM and Whole Home DVR?

2.) They said my HR20-700 was not compatible for SWiM and Whole Home DVR and would also need replacement. Cost would be $199. This conflicts with everything I have read. After they made several calls, they said it was "supported", but that it would cause a lot of problems and they had never personally been able to get an HR20-700 to work for this.

Are people using HR20-700 successfully with SWiM and Whole Home DVR?

They said for the HR20-700 to function in this setup, it would have to be connected to the internet at all times. Is this accurate?

They said a manual download had to be forced to the HR20-700 for it to work with SWiM and that this was very problematic. True?

I canceled based on their recommendation that this was never going to work correctly if I didn't also replace the HR20-700. I also had serious doubts about their ability to do the install.

I have a new order after talking to customer retention. New order is: 1) replace the HR20-700 with new HD DVR, 2) replace R15 with new HD receiver 3) replace H20 with new HD receiver 4) do Whole Home DVR upgrade. Cost is now $208.

Now I am down from 2 DVRs to 1, but everything is new and all HD (I barely use the R15 as I don't watch standard-def), however I am spending more money.

Where do I stand with the new plan? I'd rather keep my HR20-700 and just replace the H20 and R15, but not if it isn't going to work like these guys said. Under the original scenario I would have had 2 HD DVRs and 1 HD receiver.

If they replace the HR20-700 with an HR21,22,23... is there really any difference in the setup? Is there any benefit to me getting rid of the HR20-700 in a SWiM/Whole Home DVR setup if the replacement is an HR21,22,23?

Final question... Do any of the techs actually know how to do this? or should I expect that I will have to figure it out myself on this forum and correct the installation after they leave?

Thanks to all. See 1st and 2nd order attached (2nd order is before $250 credit).

Attached Thumbnails

• Order1.jpg
  • Order2.jpg

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,676 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 04:54 PM

Hr20 700s are fine with SWM and DECA. You may need a new dish, they swapped mine out for no apparent reason last time they were here. I'm waiting til they know what they're doing before attempting an install.

#3 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,190 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 24 June 2010 - 05:04 PM

If you have an AT9 (sidecar) dish, they must replace it so they can use an SWiM compatible LNB assembly.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#4 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 05:11 PM

I had a tech out today to set me up with Whole Home DVR... I ended up canceling the install and then calling customer retention. For reference, my current setup is:
1 HR20-700
1 R15-500
1 H20-100

I was told that the R15 and H20 were not compatible and would require replacement. The CSR agreed to replace the R15 with an HD-DVR and the order was completed including swap H20 for new HD receiver, do the Whole Home DVR Upgrade incl. ICK, and free install... total was $110 incl tax. I was happy, but expected that the CSR was misinformed and the techs would bring me an R22 for the R15.

The techs showed up today and were prepared to replace the R15 with new HD-DVR, but it became clear that they didn't really know what they were doing. I was told the following:

1.) I need a new dish. (Under "System Info & Test" in setup menu, it says I have "Slimline-5" next to "Dish Type". It was installed in 2006 when the H20 was brand new and the HR20 was not out yet). They were not going to charge for this.

Do I need a new dish for SWiM and Whole Home DVR?

If you have the original AT-9 sidecar, then the whole dish needs replaced. If you have a slimline with a legacy LNB, the it's just an LNB swap

2.) They said my HR20-700 was not compatible for SWiM and Whole Home DVR and would also need replacement. Cost would be $199. This conflicts with everything I have read. After they made several calls, they said it was "supported", but that it would cause a lot of problems and they had never personally been able to get an HR20-700 to work for this.

If they can't get a HR20-700 to work, then they don't know what they are doing.

Are people using HR20-700 successfully with SWiM and Whole Home DVR?

Yes, my close to 4 years old HR20-700 is on a SWiM with the DECA dongle working just fine.

They said for the HR20-700 to function in this setup, it would have to be connected to the internet at all times. Is this accurate?

False, only if you want TV apps and DoD. Addtionally, as long as you have a DECA connected to bridge the deca cloud to your home network all HR2x will have access to the internet.

They said a manual download had to be forced to the HR20-700 for it to work with SWiM and that this was very problematic. True?

False. There is ZERO reason to force a download on a Whole Home DVR service install on an existing receiver. In fact, DirecTv has instructed installers not to do so. However, the local "trainers" frequently do not pass important information, such as this, on to the techs. :rolleyes:

I canceled based on their recommendation that this was never going to work correctly if I didn't also replace the HR20-700. I also had serious doubts about their ability to do the install.

I have a new order after talking to customer retention. New order is: 1) replace the HR20-700 with new HD DVR, 2) replace R15 with new HD receiver 3) replace H20 with new HD receiver 4) do Whole Home DVR upgrade. Cost is now $208.

Now I am down from 2 DVRs to 1, but everything is new and all HD (I barely use the R15 as I don't watch standard-def), however I am spending more money.

Where do I stand with the new plan? I'd rather keep my HR20-700 and just replace the H20 and R15, but not if it isn't going to work like these guys said. Under the original scenario I would have had 2 HD DVRs and 1 HD receiver.

New plan sucks, stick with the first plan.

If they replace the HR20-700 with an HR21,22,23... is there really any difference in the setup? Is there any benefit to me getting rid of the HR20-700 in a SWiM/Whole Home DVR setup if the replacement is an HR21,22,23?

You would only gain some additional recording space by swapping out your 20 with a 22/23, no additional space with a 21

Final question... Do any of the techs actually know how to do this? or should I expect that I will have to figure it out myself on this forum and correct the installation after they leave?

Yes :)

Thanks to all. See 1st and 2nd order attached (2nd order is before $250 credit).

I'd stick with the orignal order.
  • It's cheaper
  • You end up with 2 HD DVRs and 1 HD, vs 1 HD DVR and 2 HD

My other comments are above in red.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#5 OFFLINE   dfunk

dfunk

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 05:21 PM

Thank you for the detailed answers RobertE.

I suspected these two guys were clowns. I will have to get back on the phone with Customer Retention. I'll keep my HR20-700 and just replace the other two.

So how can I figure out exactly what dish I have? What does the AT-9 sidecar look like vs. a Slimline?

If I have a Slimline, is there a way to know if I have a Legacy LNB?

Thanks again to all.

#6 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 05:30 PM

Thank you for the detailed answers RobertE.

I suspected these two guys were clowns. I will have to get back on the phone with Customer Retention. I'll keep my HR20-700 and just replace the other two.

So how can I figure out exactly what dish I have? What does the AT-9 sidecar look like vs. a Slimline?

If I have a Slimline, is there a way to know if I have a Legacy LNB?

Thanks again to all.

Here's a pick of a slimline with a 5lnb on it.

http://www.dbstalk.c...=1&d=1277422053

The AT-9 is more square and the LNB is two seperate parts. Since your dish was installed in 06, there is about a 0.1% chance at best it's a SWiM, if you have more than 1 line coming from the dish, it's not a SWiM. Most likely it's an AT-9, but may be one of the first slimlines.

Attached Thumbnails

• slimline.PNG

Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me

#7 OFFLINE   dwcolvin

dwcolvin

Icon

• Registered
  • 668 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 05:37 PM

All you're asking for is a 'normal' MRV upgrade with ICK. In no case should you pay more than the $99 + $49 upgrade fee. This includes replacing dish/lnb if necessary for SWM, replacing all non-SWM-compatable receivers with equivalent SWM-compatable receivers (SD for SD, DVR for DVR), replacing non-MRV-compatable HD receivers (H20) with MRV-compatable ones, and providing any needed DECAs or power supplies/inserters or Band Stop Filters or MRV-compatable SWM splitters. In addition, they will replace any receiver that, for some reason, doesn't work in the new setup.

There is no reason why any HR20 would need to be replaced, but the one that's the most troublesome (requires a unique DECA setup) is the HR20-100. It wouldn't be so bad, however, if your HR20-700 was replaced (especially if it's with an HR24)... that's getting a little old, and hard drives don't last forever.

Edited by dwcolvin, 24 June 2010 - 05:43 PM.
there are no non-SWM-compatable HD receivers

DIRECTV and NFL-ST since 1994, Slimline w/SL5 LNB, SWiM-16
HR44-700; 2x HR24-500; HR22-100; H25-500; C31-700; GenieGo
Gigabit Ethernet (DirecTV DECA); 2.4 and 5GHz 802.11n; HD Slingbox

#8 OFFLINE   mobandit

mobandit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 05:47 PM

I can absolutely say that HR20-700's work on SWM and DECA. My installer/tech also wanted to replace my HR20-700 as he thought it was not compatible with SWM and DECA. I convinced him to try...it worked (and is workin) just fine.

The HR20-100 DVR's require a bit more effort to connect properly...but the -700's are fine.

ETCM (SS/SW), USN (RET)
22 years, 4 months, 9 days

#9 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,943 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 05:49 PM

I can absolutely say that HR20-700's work on SWM and DECA. My installer/tech also wanted to replace my HR20-700 as he thought it was not compatible with SWM and DECA. I convinced him to try...it worked (and is workin) just fine.

The HR20-100 DVR's require a bit more effort to connect properly...but the -700's are fine.

Hope nobody tells my two HR20-700s that they shouldn't be working with MRV/DECA & SWiM. :eek2: :lol:
A.K.A VOS

#10 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,061 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 24 June 2010 - 05:55 PM

As an example of YMMV, when I had the Connected Home install done I had a HR20-700 connected via SWiM8 and ethernet for MRV which I had been using during the beta period.

After everything was installed for Connected Home the HR20-700 failed the sat signal test, zero readings on all sats/TP's. Tech tried different DECA's and replaced the cable ends, still no go so they finally replaced it with a HR24, there was no charge since I have the protection plan, the HR24 worked right off the bat.

So yes, the HR20-700 and the HR20-100 (with the special DECA connection with a PI) are supposed to work with Connected Home/DECA but in practice, maybe not. IMHO if DirecTV's tech is saying it won't work and needs to be replaced I'd make sure that at the least there is no charge for it since it's supposed to work and see if you can talk them into a HR24 as the replacement.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#11 OFFLINE   dwcolvin

dwcolvin

Icon

• Registered
  • 668 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 06:12 PM

As an example of YMMV, when I had the Connected Home install done I had a HR20-700 connected via SWiM8 and ethernet for MRV which I had been using during the beta period.

After everything was installed for Connected Home the HR20-700 failed the sat signal test, zero readings on all sats/TP's. Tech tried different DECA's and replaced the cable ends, still no go so they finally replaced it with a HR24, there was no charge since I have the protection plan, the HR24 worked right off the bat.

Sounds eerily familiar. When I had the SWiM-16 install done I had a HR20-700 connected via SWM LNB and ethernet for MRV which I had been using during the beta period.

After the SWiM-16 was installed the HR20-700 (first time it had been powered down in years... it's on a UPS) failed the sat signal test, zero readings on all sats/TP's. Tech tried various things (moving HR20-700 to different splitter, etc.), still no go so they finally replaced it with a HR24. I don't think there would have been a charge even if I didn't have the PP. The HR24 worked right off the bat.

But, there are numerous reports of successful HR20 MRV/DECA installs.

Edited by dwcolvin, 24 June 2010 - 06:32 PM.

#12 OFFLINE   dfunk

dfunk

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 07:32 PM

I can see from the ground that I have a two piece LNB. If I remember correctly, the dish is oval (ie... not the AT9), but that was a few years ago and I can't see the dish itself (don't feel like going on roof). As I mentioned, Under "System Info & Test" in setup menu, it says I have "Slimline-5" next to "Dish Type". Could I have a slimeline dish with 2 piece LNB?

Some of the SWM/DECA diagrams I have seen still have 4 lines coming down from the dish? I thought SWM meant only one line down from the dish?

So are there two ways to do SWM?

1.) SWM compatible dish, with SWM built into the LNB, therefore only 1 line down from the dish, to a SWM splitter, then 1 line to each receiver.

vs.

2.) SWM compatible dish, with SWM compatible LNB but without SWM built-in, therefore 4 lines down to a SWM8 or SWM16, to SWM splitter(s), then 1 line to each receiver.

Am I on the right track?

Thanks

#13 OFFLINE   dwcolvin

dwcolvin

Icon

• Registered
  • 668 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 07:40 PM

Some of the SWM/DECA diagrams I have seen still have 4 lines coming down from the dish? I thought SWM meant only one line down from the dish?

So are there two ways to do SWM?

1.) SWM compatible dish, with SWM built into the LNB, therefore only 1 line down from the dish, to a SWM splitter, then 1 line to each receiver.

vs.

2.) SWM compatible dish, with SWM compatible LNB but without SWM built-in, therefore 4 lines down to a SWM8 or SWM16, to SWM splitter(s), then 1 line to each receiver.

Am I on the right track?

Thanks

Yes, that's pretty much it, except in the 4 lines down case neither the dish nor the LNB are 'SWM compatible'... just garden variety non-SWM. The dish/LNB has to be able to see the 99/101/103 satellites, 110 and 119 are optoinal in most cases.

#14 OFFLINE   dfunk

dfunk

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 08:18 PM

Yes, that's pretty much it, except in the 4 lines down case neither the dish nor the LNB are 'SWM compatible'... just garden variety non-SWM. The dish/LNB has to be able to see the 99/101/103 satellites, 110 and 119 are optoinal in most cases.

Cool.

I believe I have a 5-LNB that sees 99/101/103/110/119.

What if I have the AT9 Sidecar? Do you agree with RobertE that it would need replacing?

#15 OFFLINE   dwcolvin

dwcolvin

Icon

• Registered
  • 668 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 08:25 PM

Cool.

What if I have the AT9 Sidecar? Do you agree with RobertE that it would need replacing?

I agree that D* will replace it, with a Slimline with (probably) a SWM-3 LNB. D* isn't installing SWM8 switches anymore, except in specific circumstances (e.g., multiple dishes).

If RobertE or VOS tells you something, you can count on it. :up:

Edited by dwcolvin, 24 June 2010 - 08:32 PM.

#16 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 08:41 PM

Cool.

As far as the receiver is concerned, the AT-9 and the slimline with a 5lnb are the same thing.

I'm going to say that you have an AT-9 which will be replaced with a slimline with a 3lnb SWiM.

#17 OFFLINE   dfunk

dfunk

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 09:21 PM

Thank you dwcolvin and RobertE. I'm starting to get all of this straight and have an install diagram sketched out and ready for when the techs come back.

I need to call call Customer Retention again, have them drop the 2nd HD receiver and see if I can get the third order set correctly. Of course now that I look back at those two orders I attached to the original post, I noticed that the second order doesn't specifically mention the ICK like the 1st order did. I am guessing I need to make them change that too or it won't be on the work order.

#18 OFFLINE   Greg4050

Greg4050

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 03:53 PM

This is interesting. My recently completed "swm" upgrade has 4 lines coming from the new dish.

#19 OFFLINE   dwcolvin

dwcolvin

Icon

• Registered
  • 668 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 03:58 PM

This is interesting. My recently completed "swm" upgrade has 4 lines coming from the new dish.

In the case of a SWiM-16 (or SWM-8, but D* 'policy' is not to install those) there will be 4 lines, connected to the SWiM switch. There's nothing SWiM about the dish/LNB, however.

Understand now? ;)

#20 OFFLINE   mattgwyther

mattgwyther

Godfather

• Registered
  • 455 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 04:05 PM

How many tuners? (1 DVR= 2 Tuners)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...