Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Adventures in Whole Home DVR Install

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Greg4050

Greg4050

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 09:18 PM

In the case of a SWiM-16 (or SWM-8, but D* 'policy' is not to install those) there will be 4 lines, connected to the SWiM switch. There's nothing SWiM about the dish/LNB, however.

Understand now? ;)

Yup, that explains it. Thanks!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 09:23 PM

Posted Image

DirecTV AT-9 "Sidecar" or "Backboard" 1st-Gen HD dish. There were at least 4 manufacturers, and none of the parts, including the LNBs, are interchangable, and no replacement parts are available. These dishes are to be replaced whenever encountered by a DirecTV tech, meaning, whenever they encounter one at a customer's site while there for whatever else.

Posted Image
DirecTV AU-9 "Slimline" dish with SL5 LNB.

Posted Image
DirecTV AU-9 "Slimline" dish with SL3 LNB.

The Slimline dish is the standard HD dish for DirecTV. While the dish itself is proprietary to each manufacturer (and, yes, this is idiotic), the LNBs are interchangable and ship separately. All Slimline dishes can accept any of the following LNBs:

- SL3 (Slimline 3-LNB, legacy)
- SL3-S (Slimline 3-LNB, integrated SWM switch)
- SL5 (Slimline 5-LNB, legacy)
- SL5-S (Slimline 5-LNB, integrated SWM switch)

#23 ONLINE   xandor

xandor

Legend

• Registered
  • 175 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 09:45 PM

Sounds eerily familiar. When I had the SWiM-16 install done I had a HR20-700 connected via SWM LNB and ethernet for MRV which I had been using during the beta period.

After the SWiM-16 was installed the HR20-700 (first time it had been powered down in years... it's on a UPS) failed the sat signal test, zero readings on all sats/TP's. Tech tried various things (moving HR20-700 to different splitter, etc.), still no go so they finally replaced it with a HR24. I don't think there would have been a charge even if I didn't have the PP. The HR24 worked right off the bat.

But, there are numerous reports of successful HR20 MRV/DECA installs.

Question: What input was your HR20-700 on? I have to hook it only to Sat2, that is labeled FTM. When I had it connected to just sat 1, I got no signals via SWiM.

1 HR20-700 connected via HDMI to a Sharp 52" LCD/LED TV (Bedroom)
1 HR20-700 connected via HDMI to a Samsung 46" LCD/LED TV (Living Room)
1 H21-200 connected via HDMI to a 19" Samsung TV (Kitchen)
1 HR24-500 connected via HDMI to a 32" Vizio TV (Basement)

All connected to a splitter to an AU9 dish with SWM-5 LNB and to DECA

#24 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,766 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 09:51 PM

Question: What input was your HR20-700 on? I have to hook it only to Sat2, that is labeled FTM. When I had it connected to just sat 1, I got no signals via SWiM.

Check your labels again. SAT1 is the FTM port [which is the SWM port].
A.K.A VOS

#25 OFFLINE   dwcolvin

dwcolvin

Icon

• Registered
  • 668 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 07:01 AM

It was connected to the same input that it had been when the dish had a SWM LNB (for years). The only change was SWM LNB -> Non-SWM LNB + SWiM-16, and power cycle. (OK, a 2-way splitter was removed and its two outputs connected to the SWiM-16 outputs).

There was no reason why it shouldn't have worked. It just didn't.

Edited by dwcolvin, 26 June 2010 - 07:08 AM.

#26 OFFLINE   Newshawk

Newshawk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 09:38 AM

2.) They said my HR20-700 was not compatible for SWiM and Whole Home DVR and would also need replacement. Cost would be $199. This conflicts with everything I have read. After they made several calls, they said it was "supported", but that it would cause a lot of problems and they had never personally been able to get an HR20-700 to work for thi

They said for the HR20-700 to function in this setup, it would have to be connected to the internet at all times.

They said a manual download had to be forced to the HR20-700 for it to work with SWiM and that this was very problematic.

Almost all of the above is true... for the HR20-100. It does not need replacement, but you have to use the Sat 2 In port to power the DECA. There are two different methods of doing this. As for your HR20-700, it is a standard install.

DIRECTV employee April 2004-November 2012.
The above comments are my own because I don't know if anyone would care about my opinions anymore.

#27 OFFLINE   dfunk

dfunk

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 05:06 PM

I have a DirecTv tech out again today. He too says the HR20-700 doesn't work with Whole Home DVR. It looks to me that he is now wiring the HR20-700 the way that the HR20-100 is supposed to be wired. With both SAT1 and SAT2 connected with the splitter and b-band converter.

Can someone upload a picture or a diargram of how to wire the HR20-700 so I can show the DirecTv tech?

#28 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,996 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 09 July 2010 - 05:10 PM

I have a DirecTv tech out again today. He too says the HR20-700 doesn't work with Whole Home DVR. It looks to me that he is now wiring the HR20-700 the way that the HR20-100 is supposed to be wired. With both SAT1 and SAT2 connected with the splitter and b-band converter.

Can someone upload a picture or a diargram of how to wire the HR20-700 so I can show the DirecTv tech?

No splitter and SAT2 required for a HR20-700 install, only the HR20-100 needs that. For the HR20-700 the DECA white pigtail connects to SAT1, the feed from the SWiM splitter connects to the open coax input on the DECA, and the blue ethernet cable connects to the ethernet jack on the HR20.

It could be that your HR20-700 jus won't work for Connected Home no matter what they do. My HR20-700 would not work with the DECA although all three LED's were green, but it wouldn't get any satellite signal, they had to replace the HR20 with another receiver (got a HR24).

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#29 OFFLINE   armchair

armchair

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 05:40 PM

see page # 5 here: http://hr20.dbstalk.... First Look.pdf

Protected By... spam firewall...And...