Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Temporary DNS Expansion Continues

• Please log in to reply
109 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 04:55 PM

DIRECTV will soon be launching local channels in additional markets. In the interim until locals are available, DIRECTV will be providing Distant Networks where:

• there is no local station or
  • where there is a local station available, but based on waivers granted by the local broadcasters, Distant Networks can be provided temporarily.

DirecTV will be providing Distant Networks to the following markets starting on June 30

• Abilene-Sweetwater TX- Available out-of-market signals: CBS-NY, NBC-NY and PBS
  • Amarillo TX- Available out-of-market signals: FOX-NY, NBC-NY and PBS
  • Billings MT- Available out-of-market signals: ABC-NY, FOX-NY and PBS
  • Erie PA- Available out-of-market signals: ABC-NY, FOX-NY and PBS
  • Hattiesburg-Laurel MS- Available out-of-market signals: ABC-NY, FOX-NY, CWe and PBS
  • Lubbock TX- Available out-of-market signals: ABC-NY, CBS-NY and PBS
  • Monroe LA-El Dorado AR- Available out-of-market signals: FOX-NY, NBC-NY and PBS
  • Wichita Falls TX-Lawton OK- Available out-of-market signals: FOX-NY, NBC-NY and PBS

Important Notes:

• DNS will be delivered on the Ka band, and customers will need to have MPEG-4 equipment to receive them.
  • Distant Network Services will either be from Los Angeles (West) or New York (East). The provider for PBS is out of Alexandria, VA. The provider for the CW Network is out of San Diego (West) or Washington, D.C. (East).
  • Additional markets will also launch DNS in the next few weeks. :)

This list is subject to last minute changes and additions.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,667 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 07:47 PM

Happy for all those folks....an interim step...but still some new HD viewing.

Wonder what the % national LIL coverage will be when these are in place.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#3 OFFLINE   Rob

Rob

Icon

• Registered
  • 552 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 09:52 PM

I wonder what the precentage of those that get the DNS get upset when they are taken away for their local networks? Especially if they receive them already OTA.
It's only tv!

#4 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,129 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 25 June 2010 - 05:21 AM

I wonder what the precentage of those that get the DNS get upset when they are taken away for their local networks? Especially if they receive them already OTA.

Well since it's been said up front that this is not forever, so they shouldn't be upset.

#5 OFFLINE   ronsanjim

ronsanjim

Godfather

• Registered
  • 417 posts
  • LocationCherokee Village, AR

Posted 25 June 2010 - 05:56 AM

What surprises me is that D* is foregoing the revenue those DNS were generating from customers without the networks. I was paying $14 a month for the NY/LA stations, and during the Fall TV season, $20. for the networks, CW and PBS. Now I'm paying zilch.:)

#6 OFFLINE   Indiana627

Indiana627

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,175 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 06:03 AM

My HD locals (Binghamton, NY) are scheduled to be launched this fall (we currently don't even have SD LIL). We do have all four of the major networks available here OTA (that's how I get them), but does this mean that we will be getting HD DNS up until the time D* launches our HD LIL this fall? Or will there be no changes for us here?
Mark

"We named the dog Indiana."
Family Room: HR24-100; WD10EVCS 1TB drive in Antec MX-1; connected via HDMI to Denon AVR-2313CI; 5.1 setup with Boston Acoustics A250 fronts, A225C center, A25 surrounds, ASW650 sub; video to Sony 52W4100 via HDMI; hardwired to Linksys WRT54G
Bedroom: HR21-200 with AM21 & Philips PHDTV1 Antenna, HDMI to Dynex 32" TV; hardwired to Linksys WRT54G
(1) Slimline 3 LBN dish (2 lines direct to each HR2x. No multiswitch.)
D* since January 2003

#7 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,667 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 06:08 AM

My HD locals (Binghamton, NY) are scheduled to be launched this fall (we currently don't even have SD LIL). We do have all four of the major networks available here OTA (that's how I get them), but does this mean that we will be getting HD DNS up until the time D* launches our HD LIL this fall? Or will there be no changes for us here?

I believe that only the listed markets in the first post are affected at this time. The good news is that any obstacles to you getting yours as planned have pretty much evaporated.

#8 OFFLINE   xceebeex

xceebeex

Legend

• Registered
  • 173 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 08:01 AM

Yea, I was hoping that Binghamton would be added to the list since the antenna that I currently use is a little hit or miss with the OTA stuff. I am not currently an active DirecTV user, but scheduled install is next week and the lack of locals has me on the fence because I don't want to have to deal with a fussy antenna but I may do it anyway.

The other thing that I am thinking of doing is getting an AM21, but I would hate to buy that unit and then have them add these temporary DNS options for our area.

#9 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,667 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 08:02 AM

Yea, I was hoping that Binghamton would be added to the list since the antenna that I currently use is a little hit or miss with the OTA stuff. I am not currently an active DirecTV user, but scheduled install is next week and the lack of locals has me on the fence because I don't want to have to deal with a fussy antenna but I may do it anyway.

The other thing that I am thinking of doing is getting an AM21, but I would hate to buy that unit and then have them add these temporary DNS options for our area.

Perhaps they'll repeat this approach a bit further down, closer to the Binghamton launch.

#10 OFFLINE   xceebeex

xceebeex

Legend

• Registered
  • 173 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 08:04 AM

Perhaps they'll repeat this approach a bit further down, closer to the Binghamton launch.

I wish they could tell me if that would be the case because I really don't want to buy the AM21 and then have no use for it (which technically will be the case anyway after the official launch of locals which is October).

#11 OFFLINE   trainman

trainman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,457 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted 25 June 2010 - 09:54 AM

[*]Billings MT- Available out-of-market signals: ABC-NY, FOX-NY and PBS.

A little surprised they're not getting the L.A. stations, since Billings is on Mountain time.

Of course, given the choice, I'd rather get my shows an hour early than two hours late.

I wish they could tell me if that would be the case because I really don't want to buy the AM21 and then have no use for it (which technically will be the case anyway after the official launch of locals which is October).

With the AM21, you can receive digital subchannels that won't be carried as part of your locals by DirecTV, so it won't be completely useless even after October.
trainman is Jim Ellwanger

HR34-700 | Linksys WGA-600N | Samsung 46" LCD | Slimline-5 dish

#12 OFFLINE   erosroadie

erosroadie

Godfather

• Registered
  • 388 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 10:10 AM

I have an AM21 with UHF antenna and live 40 miles west of Chicago. I receive the sub-channels from the OTA networks, which often leads to HD broadcasts where the D* locals are in SD. Further, when a strong storm is coming from the Southwest, I am able to pick-up Chicago locals, which are due East.

Not a hassle to install the antenna and the AM21 works well with my HR21. No downside to OTA even though I receive D* HD locals (for some channels). A worthwhile investment...
:wave:

#13 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,349 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 25 June 2010 - 10:26 AM

Here is what you need to do. Call and ask for a HR20 to be put on your work order as the requested reciever. Then when and if you dont get one then they activate you and you call and say I requested for the HR DVR that had the tuners in it but did not get it and request for a free AM21. They will more then likely send it free pretty easy. If you really want to increase those chances then when you call the day activated then call and at the prmopt ask for retention. Shouldnt be an issue getting a free AM21.

#14 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 11:46 AM

This is just my speculation on what the rest of the year will look like. I believe that DirecTv will end up offering DNS in all markets that are missing 1 or more of the big 4 (or 5/6 if you coun't CW & PBS), until such a time that agreements and capacity are in place. The nice thing will be, I believe this will also put some pressure on the true locals to not be crazy with their retrans fees.

More markets are planned, just don't have any info on them yet.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me

#15 OFFLINE   ciurca

ciurca

Godfather

• Registered
  • 428 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 12:00 PM

This is just my speculation on what the rest of the year will look like. I believe that DirecTv will end up offering DNS in all markets that are missing 1 or more of the big 4 (or 5/6 if you coun't CW & PBS), until such a time that agreements and capacity are in place. The nice thing will be, I believe this will also put some pressure on the true locals to not be crazy with their retrans fees.

More markets are planned, just don't have any info on them yet.

Robert....what happens in "short markets" like mine Salisbury MD. We have cbs, abc, pbs and fox (fox OTA is sd, due to being a sub channel of the cbs stream) When locals are available, do I still keep my NY DNS nbc, and what about Fox. Do I keep the NY DNS Fox since the local station broadcasts in SD?
HR34
HR23
Slingbox Pro HD

Twitter -> @saltwater_rider
Facebook -> facebook.com/craig.ciurca

#16 OFFLINE   Michael Hilley

Michael Hilley

Legend

• Registered
  • 187 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 12:12 PM

What surprises me is that D* is foregoing the revenue those DNS were generating from customers without the networks. I was paying $14 a month for the NY/LA stations, and during the Fall TV season, $20. for the networks, CW and PBS. Now I'm paying zilch.:)

Has DTV actually stopped charging you, or told you that they would?
And if they did, would it be only during the interim period, until LI is available, that DNS is offered?

I'm interested because I'm stuck with the same $14 + $2.50 + $2.50 (well, $19 rather than $20) for the DNS add-on. I assumed that those of us that ordered DNS (from Pegasus days... SFO/SEA/PIT/CHAR mixed in with the LA/NY, and later), as opposed to those that are going to be getting it as an interim no-LIL fix, would still be charged for it, but to be honest, I haven't contacted DTV to ask. I'm not saying you're wrong... for obvious reasons, I hope you're right, but I am curious if you've gotten something in writing from DTV which confirms this. Also, unlike you, there are no plans for LIL in my area, maybe ever, so I don't think interim DNS is going to be offered, so I may still have to pay for it, for that reason.

#17 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,565 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 12:19 PM

When our locals become available, my DirecTV bill will actually go down. :)
I currently have DNS for the four networks. I get both coasts SD and HD from NY for $14/month. The locals will cost $3/month, so I'll be saving $11/month. :D I could remove DNS now, but OTA can be a bit quirky for me.

I'll probably keep the AM21 active so that I can receive The CW and My Network (both SD) and possibly PBS and it's subchannels.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#18 OFFLINE   Michael Hilley

Michael Hilley

Legend

• Registered
  • 187 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 12:19 PM

... forgot to also say...
I'm assuming that you didn't/aren't cancelling DNS, knowing that you would then get it for free. That really isn't an option for me, because I don't think they're offering it as a no-LIL interim substitution... and even if they WERE, though I would qualify to reconnect DNS after, I would lose grandpappying in the event LIL ever did come to fruition, and its worth $19 to me to avoid that.

#19 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 12:24 PM

Robert....what happens in "short markets" like mine Salisbury MD. We have cbs, abc, pbs and fox (fox OTA is sd, due to being a sub channel of the cbs stream) When locals are available, do I still keep my NY DNS nbc, and what about Fox. Do I keep the NY DNS Fox since the local station broadcasts in SD?

I honestly have no idea. Don't know enough of the STELLA law and it's translation into regular speak to even form a guess. :)

Personally, I think D* & E*, should be able to light up DNS services for everyone in unserved markets until locals become available. At that time, the customer will get their locals, and if they wish to keep the DNS feeds, pay a nomial fee for them (part of which would go to the repsective locals for the "lost" viewership).

In a way I can see the desire for DNS feeds, but when it comes down to it, I like having my locals for the local news and other local events. However, there are times that I would like another feed to catch a show that was prempted by the locals or washed out due to weather. Win-Win for everyone. That's my personal take.

#20 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,565 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 12:30 PM

Any chance that DNS for The CW and My Network would go HD?
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

spam firewall