Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Broadband DECA and SWiM PI together?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   cherry919

cherry919

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 12:31 AM

My SWM 8 and SWS STR8 are mounted where my 4 Sat cables enter my basement. The PI for the SWM8 is mounted in my structured media cabinet about 20 feet away. I mounted the Broadband DECA in the media cabinet along with the requisite DECA PI. Can I use a Splitter as a Combiner to merge the DECA output with the SWM PI output that runs back to STR8? This will save me a run of RG6.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,580 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 12:24 PM

I think that would cause problems. Wouldn't you be putting power on a cable that doesn't want it? I think it would be better to put the Broadband DECA module in the basement and run a cat5 cable to the router (which I assume is at the media center). Or think about moving the router to the basement.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#3 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,932 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 12:26 PM

My SWM 8 and SWS STR8 are mounted where my 4 Sat cables enter my basement. The PI for the SWM8 is mounted in my structured media cabinet about 20 feet away. I mounted the Broadband DECA in the media cabinet along with the requisite DECA PI. Can I use a Splitter as a Combiner to merge the DECA output with the SWM PI output that runs back to STR8? This will save me a run of RG6.

You CAN do that, or even connect the DECA to the SWiM PI if it has an IRD output.
A.K.A VOS

#4 OFFLINE   cherry919

cherry919

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 03:34 PM

Thanks for your advice. My parts finally arrived and I used a DTV splitter and merged the output of the SWM PI and the Broadband Deca output into a single RG6 run back to my 8way splitter. I added a bandstop filter to my non-greenlabel SWM8 and added the bandstop, splitter and DECA to my HR20-100.
DECA, VOD, MRV, Apps -- all is working well. Thanks again.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...