Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

New Customer: Couple of Quick Questions

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bob13654

bob13654

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 10:06 AM

I haven't been with DirecTV since about 2004. I left for cable while they were broadcasting "HD Lite" and shutting off channels on Sundays for Sunday Ticket.

At any rate, I understand things have improved greatly and my cable provider, Cox, is way behind the times on advanced features and I'm tired of waiting.

So here are a few questions that I hope someone will help me out with.

1. How is the PQ these days compared to some of the better cable providers? Is D* still broadcasting HD Lite?

2. With the Whole Home DVR, I have to connect a DECA module to my network, but all video traffic goes through the cables not the network, correct? Is it constantly using bandwidth on the network or only when streaming? I stream my BD rips, which require a lot of bandwidth, off my server to several media players in my home, gigabit network, and am concerned that the DVRs may be constantly creating traffic on the network even though I may not be streaming from box to box at that time.

3. Can you turn off the front displays on the HR24s? That's a lot of light coming off a box in a dark bedroom.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

One last thing. What are the odds that Google TV will work with DirecTV's DVR?

Edited by bob13654, 25 June 2010 - 10:15 AM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Dradran

Dradran

AllStar

• Registered
  • 86 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 10:19 AM

I haven't been with DirecTV since about 2004. I left for cable while they were broadcasting "HD Lite" and shutting off channels on Sundays for Sunday Ticket.

At any rate, I understand things have improved greatly and my cable provider, Cox, is way behind the times on advanced features and I'm tired of waiting.

So here are a few questions that I hope someone will help me out with.

1. How is the PQ these days compared to some of the better cable providers? Is D* still broadcasting HD Lite?

2. With the Whole Home DVR, I have to connect a DECA module to my network, but all video traffic goes through the cables not the network, correct? Is it constantly using bandwidth on the network or only when streaming? I stream my BD rips, which require a lot of bandwidth, off my server to several media players in my home, gigabit network, and am concerned that the DVRs may be constantly creating traffic on the network even though I may not be streaming from box to box at that time.

3. Can you turn off the front displays on the HR24s? That's a lot of light coming off a box in a dark bedroom.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

One last thing. What are the odds that Google TV will work with DirecTV's DVR?

1. DirecTv no longer broadcasts in HD-lite. The picture quality for HD is great, some people say SD could use some improvement but I don't watch SD so I cannot comment.

2. Whole Home DVR uses its own network via the coax cable ran in your house. It should not effect your home network. The network connection is for streaming Video on Demand, ordering PPV and such. Realistically, you don't even have to connect your receivers to your Ethernet network if you don't need these services.

3. No idea, I do not have a HR24, however on the HR21 you can turn off the obnoxiously bright blue light on the front.

HTH,

Edited by Dradran, 25 June 2010 - 10:24 AM.

#3 OFFLINE   ciurca

ciurca

Godfather

• Registered
  • 428 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 10:26 AM

Re the bright blue light..... Since the HR's can operate in RF mode, you could mount the box to the back of a LCD, or put it in a cabinet. My HR-23 is inside of a console unit, behind a solid door, and have no problems in RF mode.
HR34
HR23
Slingbox Pro HD

Twitter -> @saltwater_rider
Facebook -> facebook.com/craig.ciurca

#4 OFFLINE   raoul5788

raoul5788

• Registered
  • 1,481 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 10:28 AM

Yes, they turn off the same way the other HR2x models do. Press the left side of the circle and at the same time, press the right side four times. All of the lights except a faint Directv logo will go out. The record button, when lit, is very faint.

#5 OFFLINE   sibby3

sibby3

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 10:52 AM

i live in hampton roads my cable co is also cox.i switched to directv about 2 months ago i like it alot. cox is so far behind its not funny things are always coming soon an they never show up.

#6 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 11:10 AM

bob13654, welcome back. :hi:

Here is a thread from a little while ago on Google TV. The answer to your question is unlikely.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

spam firewall