Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Need a New Router (TV Apps "friendly")

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,130 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 25 June 2010 - 02:24 PM

I'm looking to buy a new router due to a.) my old one (Linksys BEFSR41 V3) is falling apart physically & b.) it has been quirky lately. I'm posting here because it seems some routers "play better" with TVApps. So, if your router is friendly with TV Apps and you're pleased with your networking, I'd love some suggested models.

Notes - I have the following decices:
~2 wired PCs.
~Wired BluRay player.
~Wired DECA box to "cloud" 2 HRs.

I figure I might as well get a wireless router just in case I ever get a netbook/laptop/etc.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 02:26 PM

What it really comes down to, is that it supports uPnP.

If you get a higher end one, that has an aggressive firewall in it, you may have to tweek it's settings a bit.

I have a Linksys RVS4000, which is a little more business class size, then consumer.
But it is great and a lot of flexibility to it.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#3 OFFLINE   dave29

dave29

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,903 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 02:28 PM

Linksys WRT610N is what I use and it has been great.

#4 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 14,130 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 25 June 2010 - 02:34 PM

That one and the D-Link DIR-655 were 2 I was looking at. http://www.newegg.co...N82E16833127215
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#5 OFFLINE   dave29

dave29

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,903 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 02:41 PM

That one and the D-Link DIR-655 were 2 I was looking at. http://www.newegg.co...N82E16833127215

I'm partial to Linksys products for some reason.

Does that D-Link have simultaneous dual band?

#6 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 14,130 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 25 June 2010 - 02:44 PM

I'm partial to Linksys products for some reason.

Does that D-Link have simultaneous dual band?

Ummm...I have no idea. :lol: I'm not a networking guy like a lot here. ;)

#7 OFFLINE   dave29

dave29

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,903 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 02:47 PM

Ummm...I have no idea. :lol: I'm not a networking guy like a lot here. ;)

Neither am I. :lol:

It is nice to have the dual band mode though to keep the wireless traffic separated for different things (streaming, moving big files, etc).

#8 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 14,130 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 25 June 2010 - 02:49 PM

Can you "turn off" or disable wireless connectivity on most of these routers? I don't want to have our neighborhood sucking up my wirelessness. :lol:

#9 OFFLINE   dsw2112

dsw2112

Always Searching

• Registered
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 03:02 PM

Can you "turn off" or disable wireless connectivity on most of these routers? I don't want to have our neighborhood sucking up my wirelessness. :lol:

Yes, it can be turned off under the router settings. Even when activated (with correct security settings) nobody should be able to get on.
SL3-Slimline to SWM16 - DECA
HR34-700, HR24-500, & HR22-100

#10 OFFLINE   Barry in Conyers

Barry in Conyers

Godfather

• Registered
  • 354 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 03:02 PM

In this thread (http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=179857), it was definitively stated that UPnP was NOT needed for DECA or MRV and no one disagreed.

ONCE AND FOR ALL, IS UPnP NEEDED OR NOT AND IF SO, WHY?

#11 OFFLINE   dave29

dave29

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,903 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 03:04 PM

Yeah, you can turn it off or just secure it. :lol:

#12 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 03:11 PM

In this thread (http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=179857), it was definitively stated that UPnP was NOT needed for DECA or MRV and no one disagreed.

ONCE AND FOR ALL, IS UPnP NEEDED OR NOT AND IF SO, WHY?

That woudl be correct:
uPnP is not needed for MRV... has nothing to do with DECA either way (DECA is just the communication on YOUR side of the router).

But this discussion was about TVApps.

For TVApps though, with the mix of secure and open communication with the App Head end. Right now we have manual configuration options for Network Services, if you don't have uPnP... and it will eliviate some of the issues people have seen with TVApps.

We are working on making it more robust and provide more tools and information to the end user so they can adjust their home networks, if they don't use uPnP and want to have a more aggressive firewall settings.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#13 OFFLINE   Michael H..

Michael H..

Legend

• Unregistered / Not Logged In
  • 191 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 03:18 PM

Just re-iterating.

The consumer Cisco routers and etherdaptors (WRT610 E3000 WGA610) are what's verification tested with the DTV products... but none are DLNA-compliant, which is essential for all the uPnP / USB server/streaming Sigma wants. The Netgear WNDR3700 which was supposed to be THE DLNA-compliant answer, has been lambasted (reviews by people who bought one... which I am not) as problematic. After an extensive firmware upgrade immediately upon release, Netgear replaced it within months with the WNDR37AV, supposedly due to hardware architecture limitations of its predecessor precluding it ever working right... there are a lot of PO'd 3700 owners out there... and a some 3700's for sale cheap.

Bit of a trade here... Cisco-DTV compatibility vs DLNA-compliant capability... and potential problems...
just reporting what I've heard... no personal experience, and no subject matter expert...

#14 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,071 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 03:23 PM

I had nothing but problems with my WRT610N so I dumped it and picked up a Netgear WNDR3700 and never looked back. Linksys has really gone downhill lately.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#15 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,908 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 03:45 PM

I use a Linksys WRT310N with DDWRT. With the third-party firmware the signal propagates a lot better.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#16 OFFLINE   sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork

Icon

• Registered
  • 893 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 03:52 PM

I am using the D-Link with apps working, you will need to do a few tweeks. The one drawback is it's not "dual band" as far as I have read. Most of my network is "G" band though so it's not a big issue. There are a few different posts on the D-Link 655 and what various people have done to tweek it to work with apps.

#17 OFFLINE   JayMatt77

JayMatt77

Mentor

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 04:02 PM

I couldn't get TV Apps or OnDemand remote purchasing to work with an 8-yr old Linksys router, but I've been using the Linksys E1000 for a few weeks now and it seems to work great. I've had no trouble with TV Apps or OnDemand remote purchasing.

#18 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,909 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 25 June 2010 - 04:33 PM

D-Link Xtreme 825 Dual Band (Simultaneous), Wireless N, gigabit 4 port switch. I've been using it for MRV for over a year and it has outstanding performance. Of course it is used for TVapps, VOD, etc.

It is also connected to my Blu-Ray, DECA broadband, wireless N desktop (with 6.39 megabit per second service that runs at max). No problem using it with an iPod Touch (wireless G) on 2.4 gig band, Roku player (Netflix) on 2.4 gig (G), and handling MRV from 80 feet away on an HR20-100.

I use 5 gig wireless for MRV and everything else 2.4 gig wireless G. I've had it for over a year, and wouldn't trade it for anything else.

Overall, I have 7 computers connected to it, as well as 4 DirecTV devices, 2 hi-def players and the aforementioned iPod and Roku player. I also use an 8 port D-Link gigabit switch, and an old 5 port 10/100 Linksys switch.

For around $120 it is a steal. I tried two Linksys routers before it and they were no where near as good as the 825.

I'm looking to buy a new router due to a.) my old one (Linksys BEFSR41 V3) is falling apart physically & b.) it has been quirky lately. I'm posting here because it seems some routers "play better" with TVApps. So, if your router is friendly with TV Apps and you're pleased with your networking, I'd love some suggested models.

Notes - I have the following decices:
~2 wired PCs.
~Wired BluRay player.
~Wired DECA box to "cloud" 2 HRs.

I figure I might as well get a wireless router just in case I ever get a netbook/laptop/etc.

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#19 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,423 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 25 June 2010 - 04:57 PM

Linksys has really gone downhill lately.

Cisco has finally wrought their special brand of magic on Linksys.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#20 OFFLINE   cherry919

cherry919

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 05:10 PM

I use a D-Link DGL-4500 and a couple D-Link Gigabit switches. As far as TV apps go, when I first found out about them, probably in April, they wouldn't work on my HR20-100 or my HR22-100. I called DTV, they just noted my account and didn't have any suggestions on how to get them to work. Sometime in May the HR22 started working, but not the HR20. After the 6/3 software update from DTV, the TV Apps on the HR20 started working too. At the time the HR22 was wired to my router and the HR20 was connected to a D-Link DAP 1522 wireless N bridge. I've since installed DECA to all receivers except the HR20 - I'm waiting for a BSF to arrive from DTV. So the HR20 is still connected to the bridge, but MRV, On-demand and Apps are all working fine. Once the filter arrives, I'll put the HR20 on DECA and will then be running a "supported" setup. Bottom line, I didn't have to tweak any settings, DTV updates caused Apps to start working.

Edited by cherry919, 25 June 2010 - 05:11 PM.
spelling

Protected By... spam firewall...And...