Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Need a New Router (TV Apps "friendly")

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,948 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 27 June 2010 - 03:44 PM

That one and the D-Link DIR-655 were 2 I was looking at. http://www.newegg.co...N82E16833127215

DIR-655 is what I have. Just make sure you have the latest firmware and you'll have no problems.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,982 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 27 June 2010 - 04:04 PM

I just ordered the DIR-655 ($70 at Newegg with free shipping and a bluetooth dongle I have no use for).

#43 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,714 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 06:52 PM

DIR-655 is what I have. Just make sure you have the latest firmware and you'll have no problems.

Yup - the latest firmware is a must have - easy to download and install from the DLink site.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#44 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 13,985 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 27 June 2010 - 07:00 PM

I'm deciding between the DIR-655 & DIR-825...Decisions, decisions. :lol:
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#45 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,714 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 07:39 PM

Money money... :lol::lol:

#46 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 08:10 PM

Personally, I hate my DIR-655. As soon as the budget allows I'm going to get something else and go all office space on the 655. It's be put on notice. :)
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#47 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 13,985 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 27 June 2010 - 08:13 PM

Personally, I hate my DIR-655. As soon as the budget allows I'm going to get something else and go all office space on the 655. It's be put on notice. :)

Edited by sigma1914, 27 June 2010 - 09:13 PM.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#48 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,948 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 27 June 2010 - 09:10 PM

The URL contained a malformed video ID.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#49 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 13,985 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 27 June 2010 - 09:14 PM

The URL contained a malformed video ID.

Oops, fixed. ;)

#50 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,714 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 06:14 AM

I'm still trying to figure out why you have that experience...knowing that 2 others plus me equals 3 folks I know that love theirs and have no issues.

Hmmm...I'm thinking you may just have a defective unit. Solid as a rock here.

I know when I went down the Linksys road a few years back, I went through 3 of them before i got one that worked, and that one was not that great. After 3 months with Linksys, I moved over to DLink and haven't looked backa after 2 different units the past 3 years.

Edited by hdtvfan0001, 28 June 2010 - 06:20 AM.

#51 OFFLINE   HCN3

HCN3

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 02:30 PM

Earl, you mentioned : For TVApps though, with the mix of secure and open communication with the App Head end. Right now we have manual configuration options for Network Services, if you don't have uPnP... and it will eliviate some of the issues people have seen with TVApps.

I have attempted to search the dbstalk forums for the reminders on how to do this and cannot seem to find it. I am sure it is there but also is not a sticky. Any chance you could repost that information on how to do the manual configuration until DirecTV can update their head end?

Thanks!

#52 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,527 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 01 July 2010 - 03:51 PM

Until Earl chimes in, go to Setup, Network Setup / Network Services and for Manual Setup, note the STB port and Audio port .. . on my HR24, they're 27169 / 27170. . . they just need to be unique among your HRs (and your network).

Also note the IP of that HR. (preferably static or reserved DHCP).

Go into your router Port Forwarding and forward those two ports to the IP of the HR.

Very simple, very easy.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#53 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 04:47 PM

I have a 655 and a 610N. They're both very solid routers if setup correctly and piles of crap if not. The D-Link is easier to setup because D-Link's firmware works. Linsys is better overall only because of DDWRT. So I usually recommend the Dir-655 to people without much technical knowledge or people who don't like to tinker. The linksys I recommend to people who like to tweak settings and min/max everything.

#54 OFFLINE   Barry in Conyers

Barry in Conyers

Godfather

• Registered
  • 353 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 05:26 PM

Would still like to know why network services, port forwarding, fixed IP addresses or UPnP are necessary.

My system (2 HR24's & 1 H24) has no fixed addresses, no port forwarding, no network services and no UPnP.

MRV works, VoD works and TVApps (no, I have not checked all of them) works.

What am I missing?

#55 OFFLINE   armchair

armchair

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 05:56 PM

Would still like to know why network services, port forwarding, fixed IP addresses or UPnP are necessary.

My system (2 HR24's & 1 H24) has no fixed addresses, no port forwarding, no network services and no UPnP.

What am I missing?

By all means, if it's working, leave it alone.

My HR24-500 had a mind of it's own when connected to the INTERNET via DECA cloud. It mapped it's own Network Services ports on the uPNP router. Those ports were actually mapped to one of my other DVRs. I've heard the argument about not forcing network services to connect and that they're no longer needed anyway, so I was just monitoring for changes as the new HR24 settled-in. But it pushed the connection all on it's own. I can still go into my router's uPNP and see the refreshed mapping to be current on the HR24-500 but they are set on the router to timeout or clean-up automatically.

The HR24-500 seems to go further than the HR22-100 on the same network but they both are maintaining network services with no further intervention by me. The HR24 may have ran with this because I did set the STB network service ports to be triggered if the DVRs opened ports 443. But since then, the HR24 keeps requesting the mapping of the ports while the HR22-100 does not.

I say this because the HR24 may be doing this in the background unawares to some users.

#56 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 06:16 PM

What am I missing?

What you are missing is your firewall discussion.
It is most likely then your router of choice, has no firewall settings by default.

MRV has NOTHING to do with anything you listed above. As it is not communicating outside of your LAN. So long as the box get's and IP, and you haven't disabled functions that allow it to find other systems... it shoudl work. (I thought you stated you have DECA, which completely takes MRV out of the discussion).

OnDemand, uses a fairly standard set of communication protocols that most routers are standard setup and configured.

TVApps and Network Services, have authentication setups that often clash with firwalls that are blocking the ports that we are attempting to use for communication.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#57 OFFLINE   Barry in Conyers

Barry in Conyers

Godfather

• Registered
  • 353 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 06:35 PM

What you are missing is your firewall discussion.
It is most likely then your router of choice, has no firewall settings by default.

Earl,

Thanks for the response.

I know that MRV is a LAN that sits behind my traditional LAN and that it can generate IP addresses in the absence of a router / DECA.

The router (WRT54G) firewall is enabled.

Maybe I am just lucky, but if network services and port forwarding are required.....well, my hardware did not get the memo.

Barry

Edited by Barry in Conyers, 01 July 2010 - 06:45 PM.

#58 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 08:08 PM

Earl,

Thanks for the response.

I know that MRV is a LAN that sits behind my traditional LAN and that it can generate IP addresses in the absence of a router / DECA.

The router (WRT54G) firewall is enabled.

Maybe I am just lucky, but if network services and port forwarding are required.....well, my hardware did not get the memo.

Barry

Did you specifically turn off UPnP?
Even with the firewall it may be setup in a fashion, that isn't locked down as others are...

Also, Networking Services != TVApps, they just share some similar functionality in the system.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#59 OFFLINE   Barry in Conyers

Barry in Conyers

Godfather

• Registered
  • 353 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 09:15 PM

Did you specifically turn off UPnP?

YES. I consider UPnP to be a security risk that should not be enabled unless necessary.

Not trying to be difficult, just trying to understand why it has been posted that fixed addresses, UPnP and port forwarding should be used when my experience and that of others (not saying all) indicates that is not universally correct.

FWIW, some decent documentation would help.

#60 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 07:53 AM

YES. I consider UPnP to be a security risk that should not be enabled unless necessary.

Not trying to be difficult, just trying to understand why it has been posted that fixed addresses, UPnP and port forwarding should be used when my experience and that of others (not saying all) indicates that is not universally correct.

FWIW, some decent documentation would help.

Well... so would have a standard router configuration..
Hence the problem. You then also mix in all the ISP configuration and stuff they often put on top of what ever you are doing... it then just gets that much more complicated.

There are 100's if not 1000's of possible router combinations
Hence why you see the discussion as they are, and hence why troubleshooting it is difficult.

That is why Fixed Addresses, so you can set up port forwarding, is a recommended path. (Note, I said "a" not "the")
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

Protected By... spam firewall...And...