Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Need a New Router (TV Apps "friendly")

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   Barry in Conyers

Barry in Conyers

Godfather

• Registered
  • 354 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 08:42 AM

Well... so would have a standard router configuration..
Hence the problem. You then also mix in all the ISP configuration and stuff they often put on top of what ever you are doing... it then just gets that much more complicated.

There are 100's if not 1000's of possible router combinations
Hence why you see the discussion as they are, and hence why troubleshooting it is difficult.

That is why Fixed Addresses, so you can set up port forwarding, is a recommended path. (Note, I said "a" not "the")

Earl,

I agree that troubleshooting network issues is a royal PITA. That is why I posted in another thread that requiring UPnP, fixed IP addresses or port forwarding was going to be a support nightmare for DirecTV.

I also agree that fixed addresses make some things easier (been there, done that, not my first rodeo), but what are the circumstances that require port forwarding for VoD or TVApps?

It would certainly help if someone would clarify what must be enabled / disabled / implemented to address generic functional issues with VoD and TVApps instead of leaving customers to flounder around looking for solutions. I am not having problems, but clearly, a lot of people are.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#62 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 09:34 AM

Earl,

I agree that troubleshooting network issues is a royal PITA. That is why I posted in another thread that requiring UPnP, fixed IP addresses or port forwarding was going to be a support nightmare for DirecTV.

I also agree that fixed addresses make some things easier (been there, done that, not my first rodeo), but what are the circumstances that require port forwarding for VoD or TVApps?

It would certainly help if someone would clarify what must be enabled / disabled / implemented to address generic functional issues with VoD and TVApps instead of leaving customers to flounder around looking for solutions. I am not having problems, but clearly, a lot of people are.

There is no port forwarding for DOD. Nothing for DOD (as noted numerous times).

Fixed IP's only come into play, when you have to do port forwarding, well at least for most routers it does.

If you don't need the forwarding, or have to adjust your firewalls, or use the DMZ... the Static IP's and port forwarding, are really not an issue... The VAST majority of customers, simply connect and go, using standard DHCP.

For TVApps (also as noted) and network services, we use a mixture of ports for security and data transfer. So that is why those are different, and sometimes need additional configuration.. But for the most part.. those work just the same with plug and play.

There will always be people that have issues, and most of the time... they are specific to THEIR Setup... hence the difficulties in troubleshooting.

We could put up a hundred documents, but there will still be combinations that dont' work.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#63 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,109 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 05 July 2010 - 08:52 PM

I just ordered the DIR-655 ($70 at Newegg with free shipping and a bluetooth dongle I have no use for).

The DIR-655 works quite well EXCEPT that I can't get it to do any port forwarding (O.T., but a must for me). :(:(

#64 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,111 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 06:22 AM

The DIR-655 works quite well EXCEPT that I can't get it to do any port forwarding (O.T., but a must for me). :(:(

I have port forwarded setup without a problem on the DIR-655.

While it might be you....this points out the only shortcoming on the unit whatsoever - the documentation for setup/help is less than stellar.

Otherwise...it works flawlessly here.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#65 OFFLINE   Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 08:28 AM

I’ve seen two emails from DIRECTV stating there is a problem and they’re working it.

Here’s an email I got from DIRECTV:
http://www.dbstalk.c...743#post2512743

I have an HR20-700, apps works great.

I got an HR24-500 several weeks back. Apps have yet to work.

Both DVRs on the same network. Both DVRs pass all network tests. Both MRV successfully (non deca). Both DOD successfully. Both setup identically.

Only problem, apps not working on HR24-500. When I hit the right arrow I get the “loading apps please wait message”. After that, nothing. No error message.

I also noted that the TV apps website (http://tvapps.directv.com/index.do) has issues too. I’ll select apps for my HR24-500. If I log out then log back in, the apps I selected are gone, They’re no longer linked to my HR24-500. Other issue, at times my HR24-500 is missing from the “Receiver:” dropdown menu. Clearly there’s an issue on the DIRECTV side of things too.

#66 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 08:34 AM

I’ve seen two emails from DIRECTV stating there is a problem and they’re working it.

Here’s an email I got from DIRECTV:
http://www.dbstalk.c...743#post2512743

I have an HR20-700, apps works great.

I got an HR24-500 several weeks back. Apps have yet to work.

Both DVRs on the same network. Both DVRs pass all network tests. Both MRV successfully (non deca). Both DOD successfully. Both setup identically.

Only problem, apps not working on HR24-500. When I hit the right arrow I get the “loading apps please wait message”. After that, nothing. No error message.

I also noted that the TV apps website (http://tvapps.directv.com/index.do) has issues too. I’ll select apps for my HR24-500. If I log out then log back in, the apps I selected are gone, They’re no longer linked to my HR24-500. Other issue, at times my HR24-500 is missing from the “Receiver:” dropdown menu. Clearly there’s an issue on the DIRECTV side of things too.

My HR24-500 works very well with TVApps... there is no known issue with the HR24-500 with TVApps.

There is probably an issue with the setup of your HR24-500 in the databases, (Which is still on DIRECTV's side of things).

Is your HR24-500 pointing to production or the CE?
Are you selecting and adding the apps via the website? http://tvapps.directv.com ?

If it continues to be a problem, send me a PM so I can specifically look at the one system.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#67 OFFLINE   bigmac94

bigmac94

AllStar

• Registered
  • 99 posts
  • LocationSneads Ferry NC

Posted 06 July 2010 - 08:38 AM

Linksys WRT610N is what I use and it has been great.

I use the WRT610 Router for all software updates for the BluRay Players.
Might be good for all other software updates Y`All Want do.
Also can hookup a large Outside Drive to it.(have Hooked up a Terabite Drive)For all my Stuff & can move to other Computers.
If Its Worth Doing,Its Worth Doing Best You Can.

#68 OFFLINE   Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 08:51 AM

My HR24-500 works very well with TVApps... there is no known issue with the HR24-500 with TVApps.

There is probably an issue with the setup of your HR24-500 in the databases, (Which is still on DIRECTV's side of things).

Is your HR24-500 pointing to production or the CE?
Are you selecting and adding the apps via the website? http://tvapps.directv.com ?

If it continues to be a problem, send me a PM so I can specifically look at the one system.

Hey EB,
Currently on CE. Yes, I’ll load apps via http://tvapps.directv.com.

See attached for details. Let me know if you need more data. I can email you my username/password if ya need it too.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1apps.JPG

#69 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 14,130 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 08 July 2010 - 01:14 PM

Finally installed a DIR-825 and TV Apps works great, along with other network stuff. :dance::dance07:
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#70 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,111 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 01:33 PM

Finally installed a DIR-825 and TV Apps works great, along with other network stuff. :dance::dance07:

Very cool!

That's a fine unit.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#71 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,909 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 08 July 2010 - 03:26 PM

I've had mine over a year, still with original firmware and it has been a terrific performer. No hangs, no weirdness, it just works. I'm even using it with a WET610N to bring my distant HR20-100 (on a separate dish at the far end of the house) into the MRV network (with the other DECA units), as a hybrid system. Unfortunately, I just couldn't DECA that far end installation, but it works. I don't use it much for MRV, but the capability is at least there.

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#72 OFFLINE   Xsabresx

Xsabresx

Icon

• Registered
  • 981 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 03:39 PM

I know we have gone past the original topic since Sigma got his router, but I wanted to add my $.02 for the WRT610N. TVAPPS work great, MRV (wireless) and VOD work great and I dont have any of the router reboot problems I had with the WRT54GS. There may be better out there but I have been using Linksys for 10yrs and know their settings like the back of my hand. (through tons of trial and error ;) )
since 2001

HR20-700 -- LG 55LH55 LCD
HR23-700 -- Sony KDL-60EX500 LCD
HR21-100 --Vizio VA26LHDTV10T
H24-100 -- Hitachi 51F59 Rear Projection
H24-100 -- Some tube that wont die

Protected By... spam firewall...And...