Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Question about MRV and Internet

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bob13654

bob13654

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 05:34 PM

Getting ready to order D*. I am going to get two HD DVRs and one HD Receiver. I assume that on the install they will give me a Dish with a SWiM setup so I can setup MRV via DECA. But my question has to do with the Internet Connection.

I have a Gigabit router with 4 ports, all of which are being used. They connect to different rooms in my home and my Desktop. Each room has a gigabit switch where they connect to my server, media player, other computers, XBox, Blu-Ray etc.

So my question is simple. What exactly is involved in hooking up a DECA setup to the internet? Can they just hook up a device next to one of my switches? Things have certainly changed since I used to have D*.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Ken984

Ken984

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 05:35 PM

Yes any connected ethernet port will work.

Samsung 65-es6550-HR44-700-Denon AVR-2311CI, XBOX360, Win Media Center 7, Samsung BD-D6500

#3 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,533 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 25 June 2010 - 05:45 PM

DIRECTV typically sets up DECA. Doing it yourself will cost you more and you'll likely have to endure lots of grilling when you try to get MRV enabled (assuming they support/allow self-install at all).

If you order Whole Home DVR Service with a broadband connection, they'll install an additional RG6 and DECA adapter with the requisite power inserter.

Unfortunately it would seem that you can't test MRV anymore to see if it will work on your conventional network.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#4 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,532 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 06:10 PM

[...] So my question is simple. What exactly is involved in hooking up a DECA setup to the internet? Can they just hook up a device next to one of my switches? Things have certainly changed since I used to have D*.

The 3 DirecTV boxes will create their own network "loop", via the coaxial cables they are connected to. The installers will co-ax connect an additional DECA adapter somewhere on that "loop" and use it as the bridge to your existing LAN, so your boxes can see the internet for VOD.

They have a lot of flexibility on where they can position the "broadband" DECA adapter. It can connected to a splitter anywhere between the satellite switch and any one of your DirecTV receivers. And it can connect to your existing LAN via one of your wall outlets, a network switch, or directly to your router, if it has an available port.
/steve

#5 OFFLINE   bob13654

bob13654

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 07:45 PM

Thanks for the help everyone. One last question. I know the installer can tap into my existing lines in the house to connect to the various rooms, but my office upstairs originally didn't have cable in it, so I split that line off the master bedroom in the attic and ran it down the wall into my office. Basically there is one line being split to two rooms, that just happen to be the two rooms that I want to have service. Is this something that the installer can work with, or will they have to install a new line to one of the rooms?

#6 OFFLINE   Ken984

Ken984

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 08:16 PM

With a swm system a splitter is fine. It needs to be a DirecTV approved green label splitter for MRV purposes. Just make sure the installer replaces the existing splitter.

Samsung 65-es6550-HR44-700-Denon AVR-2311CI, XBOX360, Win Media Center 7, Samsung BD-D6500

spam firewall