Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Any way to get programs onto computer, external hard drive, disc, etc?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   RVD26

RVD26

Godfather

• Registered
  • 356 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 26 June 2010 - 08:51 AM

I just got off the phone with D*.
It looks like I am having a hard drive issue on my receiver that is causing recorded programs to freeze up frequently.
The CSR said I would need to do a hard drive format to try and fix the issue.
Of course, that means all the programs I have sitting on my DVR would be wiped out.
Is there a way I can get these shows onto my computer or somewhere else before formatting?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,778 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 08:56 AM

Your only option would be to get a DVD Recorder and hook it up and record the shows off of the DVR.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#3 OFFLINE   mobandit

mobandit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 08:58 AM

It looks like I am having a hard drive issue on my receiver that is causing recorded programs to freeze up frequently.
Of course, that means all the programs I have sitting on my DVR would be wiped out.
Is there a way I can get these shows onto my computer or somewhere else before formatting?

If the hard drive is going bad, then it would probably be very difficult to recover those programs. Normally you could hook up a DVD recorder to any output on the back of your DVR, hit play on the DVR and Record on the DVD recorder...

You could also do a file transfer to a new ard drive, but that requires some surgery (opening the DVR case), some ability to use a few Linux-based tools, and you should know that opening a leased D* DVR voids your Terms of Service agreement. Most DVR's these days are leased units, not owned.

ETCM (SS/SW), USN (RET)
22 years, 4 months, 9 days

#4 OFFLINE   RVD26

RVD26

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 356 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 26 June 2010 - 09:00 AM

Okay, so it looks like I'm screwed. :(
Thanks, anyways.

#5 OFFLINE   johns70

johns70

Legend

• Registered
  • 200 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 10:36 AM

You're not screwed, you can try to copy the programs to a DVD burner or by using a video capture card on a computer. Either way you'd have to record the program in real time.

You could even use one of these to record on your computer in 1080i - http://www.hauppauge...data_hdpvr.html

#6 OFFLINE   newsposter

newsposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 03:05 PM

I'm admittedly cynical but a few months ago when my tivo said 'account closed' the csr told me to do a format of the drive to fix it. I said, um..no!

sure enough it was just a network issue and many people had the issue. Im glad i didnt listen to their advice.

im not saying you dont have a bad drive, but you do have to realize they just read from scripts.
57 inch Hitachi 57F710S
Tivo Premiere
Panasonic E80 Dvd recorder
HR10-250 63 hrs w/DB8 antenna (parts :))
1/2 full Sony T60 (historical value)

#7 OFFLINE   rayik

rayik

AllStar

• Registered
  • 57 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 07:27 AM

I find transfering and storing programs to be overrated. I was a long time TIVO user with cable. When we had premium channels, we used to transfer over lots of movies. We had a large movie collection. Though digitally stored, it was like having a large DVD movie collection. Just like physical DVDs, had them, could play them, never did. Eventually just deleted everything (even though we had over 1.5 TB free space on file server).

#8 OFFLINE   johns70

johns70

Legend

• Registered
  • 200 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 12:24 PM

I find transfering and storing programs to be overrated. I was a long time TIVO user with cable. When we had premium channels, we used to transfer over lots of movies. We had a large movie collection. Though digitally stored, it was like having a large DVD movie collection. Just like physical DVDs, had them, could play them, never did. Eventually just deleted everything (even though we had over 1.5 TB free space on file server).

I know what you mean. I don't have many DVDs at home. I did enjoy watching my DVDs of Toy Story and Toy Story 2 before I went to see Toy Story 3 last week. I just don't get into buying a DVD copy of movies as soon as they hit the stores. When I see a movie at the theatre, I don't see any reason to grab it when it comes out on DVD. Sometimes I'll buy a DVD of a movie I haven't seen if it catches my eye. I hate watching a movie in SD quality on TV with commercials when I can order if from amazon for $10 or so.
I did buy DVD copies of the STARGATE SG1 series since I didn't get into the series until it had been on for 8 years or so. Now that I've watched all the episodes the DVDs just sit there collecting dust. I don't think I'll ever decide to re-watch episode 17 from season 6 or anything like that. Maybe I'll put the whole set up for sale on EBAY.

#9 OFFLINE   JB3

JB3

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 08:52 AM

One more option. If the shows you're concerned about saving are on the internal drive, you could connect an external drive via the ESATA port to do your testing. As long as the external is connected, the internal is ignored until you remove the external and reboot. Of course, once you remove the external, you won't have access to anything recorded on it, so keep the testing brief!

Note that you'll have to recreate all of your season passes as this is stored on the active drive as well.

spam firewall