Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV formally asks for access to Comcast Sportsnet Philly

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   snewo

snewo

AllStar

• Registered
  • 82 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 09:31 AM

Was this one already posted? My hastily performed thread scan didn't see it anywhere:

http://www.multichan...hiladelphia.php
Beer....it's what's for dinner.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 10:28 AM

Thanks for posting.

Unfortunately, C* seems to say they'll withhold CSN until D* stops their exclusive NFL Sunday Ticket carriage agreement.

Same thing they've been saying for 10 years :(

#3 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,916 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 27 June 2010 - 10:58 AM

Looks like Comcast has a few tricks up it's sleeve to prevent competition to cable TV in it's home market.
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

#4 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 11:03 AM

Thanks for posting.

Unfortunately, C* seems to say they'll withhold CSN until D* stops their exclusive NFL Sunday Ticket carriage agreement.

Comcast is sooooo stupid.

DirecTV has an exclusive NFL ST carriage agreement because DirecTV *pays for it*. Comcast has had the chance to get Sunday Ticket in the past and has always passed on the chance to bid on it. Their loss.

The big difference also is that DirecTV does not own Sunday Ticket. The NFL does, thus the NFL can package up their games and sell them however they want. There is no monopoly on the part of DirecTV. Now *if* DirecTV actually owned the NFL then they would have to comply with the FCC regs. But they don't.

Comcast on the other hand actually owns the channel in question and that is the root of the problem.

I just love all the crying Comcast does on ST when they could have had it themselves years ago. What a bunch of babies and now they lost Uncle Spector's hold on the FCC so now they have to play fair. Waaaaaaah. :)

#5 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 11:27 AM

I wonder how much $$$ Arlen got from Comcast to allow this loophole to exist? But now that he's finally gone, we may actually have a chance.

#6 OFFLINE   gpg

gpg

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,736 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 27 June 2010 - 11:27 AM

It will be interesting to see how quickly the FCC will move to resolve the complaint. My guess is Comcast will stall until the FCC is ready to vote on the NBCU purchase, so I don't think we'll see CSN Philadelphia before the end of the year at best.

I hope I'm wrong for the sake of all those who've been without their RSN for years.
HR24-200,HR23-700,HR21-200, HR21-100, HR34-700,
Sony KDS-R50XBR1,HDMI, LG 37LH40,HDMI Vizio 390-A1,HDMI,Sony KDL-40NX711, HDMI, Vizio VO320E, HDMI, SWM16 with DECA,
Sony STR-DG1000 AV Receiver optical cable connection for HR24-200, GenieGo

#7 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 11:36 AM

Thanks for posting.

Interesting. So they are holding out from D* because of NFLST, which has already been covered as to why it's a bogus arguement.

But, just for fun, let's say it's a vaild arguement. If so, what's E* holding back that comcast wants. Well, lets see, theres the...uh....hmmm...ah...oh nothing. So much for that arguement. :lol:
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#8 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 01:44 PM

RobertE - Correct.

If CSN were on D*, I figure C* would lose at least 15% of their subscriptions in Philly.

(however, most Philly folks are convinced you lose your D* picture every time it rains)

#9 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 01:48 PM

(however, most Philly folks are convinced you lose your D* picture every time it rains)

You do in Arkansas :)

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#10 OFFLINE   1980ws

1980ws

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts
  • LocationLongwood, Florida

Posted 27 June 2010 - 04:13 PM

I wonder how much $$$ Arlen got from Comcast to allow this loophole to exist? But now that he's finally gone, we may actually have a chance.

I've been really shocked that all the Phils broadcasts are on EI this year, AND the post game show in it's entirety. The other night it went past the post game show into Sports Night, and stayed on as I dozed off. That didn't happen last year.

#11 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 05:18 PM

Swell.. You can see it in Florida, but we can't see it in metro-Philly.

#12 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,669 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 27 June 2010 - 06:01 PM

I always wonder at Comcast stupidity. Gee, they are being told by the gummit that they have to play nice, so instead of talking a bit and making it just difficult at the negogiating table, they are saying they will NOT talk to DirecTV. So, how do they convince the gummit they are dealing in good faith? Morons.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#13 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 06:49 PM

tonyd - Come on, you know the answer... Comcast is above the government due to Senator Arlen and his buddies. They just don't care about the law. They'll just pay to have it changed.

Can't say I blame them. Why else would somebody spend $18M of their own money to run for a Senate seat that pays, what, about $160K per year?

Thomas Jefferson is turning in his grave.

#14 OFFLINE   1980ws

1980ws

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts
  • LocationLongwood, Florida

Posted 27 June 2010 - 07:01 PM

Swell.. You can see it in Florida, but we can't see it in metro-Philly.

That is a kick in the mid section alright. I know it's going to happen. I hope it's soon for all of us. Yep, real soon.

#15 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,669 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 27 June 2010 - 07:28 PM

tonyd - Come on, you know the answer... Comcast is above the government due to Senator Arlen and his buddies. They just don't care about the law. They'll just pay to have it changed.

Can't say I blame them. Why else would somebody spend $18M of their own money to run for a Senate seat that pays, what, about $160K per year?

Thomas Jefferson is turning in his grave.

Spector could not save them from the inevitable and Spector is done now anyway.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#16 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,878 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 07:30 AM

Please continue discussion here: http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=173787
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...