Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Trouble Getting Signal with 18" Round

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   hartwa

hartwa

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 10:49 AM

Hi...

I am hoping that someone can help.

Yesterday we got hooked up with DTV. I previosly had dish network. I told the tech that I had a couple of old DTV dishes at our cabin and I was wondering if I could tak one of the single recievers up there when we are on vacation. He said they would work with the 18" round dishes. The recievers are H24-100.

I have been trying to hook one of them up and cannot find the signal. I have the direction and angle set as close as I can with a compass and using the gauge of the pipe. The pipe is plumb.

I have the reciever set on 18" dish and using a multiswich type. I turn on the receiver...it eventually goes to code 771 "searching for signal". I go into menu and setup to set it to the correct dish type and switch type and then hit continue. It verifies connection and then tells me that it could not detect a signal and I should verify the set up.

I appreciate any help I can get with this...

Hartwa.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   hartwa

hartwa

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 10:57 AM

I forgot to mention the LNB that I am using id brand new... I had one in a box that has never seen the weather.

Thanks...

#3 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 10:58 AM

Put it into signal strength mode, single transponder, set it to 101 tr 4, and slowly sweep the dish left/right. If no signal, change elevation a bit, and retry. Make sure the BBC (if any) is not connected to the receiver.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#4 OFFLINE   hartwa

hartwa

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 11:12 AM

Thanks for the help...

Will it grab the signal instantaneous or do I need to let it set for 10 seconds or so in each spot?

Thanks again...

#5 OFFLINE   dwcolvin

dwcolvin

Icon

• Registered
  • 668 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 11:12 AM

You need to redo Satellite Setup, and select the right kind of dish.

DIRECTV and NFL-ST since 1994, Slimline w/SL5 LNB, SWiM-16
HR44-700; 2x HR24-500; HR22-100; H25-500; C31-700; GenieGo
Gigabit Ethernet (DirecTV DECA); 2.4 and 5GHz 802.11n; HD Slingbox

#6 OFFLINE   hartwa

hartwa

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 11:23 AM

Hmmm.... sorry I amnot sure what you mean. I need to get out of the signal meter screen each time I move it and re-select the satellite set up to the correct dish? So far the reciever only defaults to the slimline dish when I hit the red re-set button.

Sorry I don't understand...

#7 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 11:27 AM

Hmmm.... sorry I amnot sure what you mean. I need to get out of the signal meter screen each time I move it and re-select the satellite set up to the correct dish? So far the reciever only defaults to the slimline dish when I hit the red re-set button.

Sorry I don't understand...

Go into Satellite Setup
Select 18" dish
Arrow over to signal meter

There are two signal meter pages, one shows the whole satellite at once, and the other shows just ONE TRANSPONDER on ONE SAT. Thats the one you want. Go to SAT 101, and you should have have a bar showing "Not Aquired" Keep it on that screen, and aim your dish. Once you get a signal on that screen, then exit and hit continue.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#8 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 11:29 AM

The biggest problem DIY'ers make is trying to use the center of the bold to set the elevation. That is wrong. Depending on the dish, may or may not be a painted line on one of the sides to set elevation by. Some even had a little pointer. Either way, the bolt is not what you set it by.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#9 OFFLINE   hartwa

hartwa

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 11:41 AM

Thanks... I think I am on the right screen. It says "tuner1: not aquired" on the left... Sat 101 on the right and transponder 4 right below that.

I have been sweeping the dish but have not gotten a signal yet...do i have to leave it one spot for a period of time or should the signal be instanteous?

Thanks again...

#10 OFFLINE   hartwa

hartwa

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 11:42 AM

thanks for your reponse...I am using the white marker...not the bolt. Thanks again.

#11 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 11:44 AM

It will take a second to lock. Change 1 or 2 degrees, wait a sec, then 1 or two more.
Usually, the problem with not being able to find 101 is the elevation or a bad coax connector.

#12 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 11:46 AM

Another thing I forgot to mention, if your cabin is more than 50 miles north or south of your original location, make sure you enter the correct zip for the cabin, or the elevation settings will be wrong. If your cabin is further north , the elevation will be lower than the screen indicates for your home.

#13 OFFLINE   hartwa

hartwa

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 11:47 AM

I am using RG-6U cable...is there a special cable for these HD recievers?

#14 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 11:49 AM

I am using RG-6U cable...is there a special cable for these HD recievers?

No, cable is fine. Just make sure the connectors dont have any stray wires shorting them out to the center conductor.

#15 OFFLINE   hartwa

hartwa

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 11:53 AM

Ok thanks again... Still no luck. I will keep trying.

Does it matter if the LNB is just setting in the boom? I see there is supposed to be a screw there but it is missing...does that screw maybe ground the LNB to the dish?

#16 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 11:54 AM

Ok thanks again... Still no luck. I will keep trying.

Does it matter if the LNB is just setting in the boom? I see there is supposed to be a screw there but it is missing...does that screw maybe ground the LNB to the dish?

No, it might change the elevation a little, but not necessary to work.

Do you have a camera that you could send a pic of the elevation settings you are using, and where abouts your cabin is located?

#17 OFFLINE   hartwa

hartwa

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 12:04 PM

I am in Chippewa Falls WI 54729. The elevation is 38° and the azmuth is supposed to be 193°. I have a camera on my phone but no way to get it on the page.

#18 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 12:06 PM

Sent PM

#19 OFFLINE   hartwa

hartwa

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 12:20 PM

thanks for the help...I just sent pics.

#20 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 12:25 PM

thanks for the help...I just sent pics.

Go back to 38 (think thats what its supposed to be at right?) and then drop one at a time. Also make sure you arent pointed at any trees.

Check the other side of the dish also, and make sure there isnt a reversed elevation scale.

Also try transponder 1.

Im assuming you are sweeping the azimuth between each elevation change right?

Attached Thumbnails

• 103_0532.JPG
  • 103_0531.jpg

Protected By... spam firewall...And...