Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Trouble Getting Signal with 18" Round

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#26 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 12:49 PM

I got 18.7V at the LNB.. I have now swept the azimuth starting at 36° up to 42° 1 degree at a time. Nothing...

Is there a way I can test the LNB. It is brand new...I had DTV back around 02 but the house already had a dish on it so I just held onto the new one.

No way I know of, without a satellite meter. Try a reset everything on the box. It doesnt appear the receiver is actually set correctly.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#27 OFFLINE   hartwa

hartwa

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 12:59 PM

Ok... I will put the dish back to 38° and resweep after resetting the reciever. There is a red button on the reciever to reset it. When I do that it goes to code 771 searching for signal. Should I sweep while it is in that mode?

Normally I go to menu - set up and change the dish to the 18" round and select my swith type as multiple. I feel I have to do that because the reciever, after re-set, goes back to the slim line dish with the SWM type. Thoughts?

#28 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 01:01 PM

Dont use the red button. Use the menu. Change it to 18" round, and then hit continue

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#29 OFFLINE   hartwa

hartwa

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 01:27 PM

I reset everything and started over... still no luck. What does a satellite meter do? Is it more sensitive than the signal meter on the TV?

#30 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 01:33 PM

I powers the lnb and lets you tune the dish before connecting the receiver.

#31 OFFLINE   hartwa

hartwa

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 01:56 PM

Do you think I should be using SWM for the switch type?

#32 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 01:58 PM

Do you think I should be using SWM for the switch type?

Only if your LNB is a SWM LNB, which it wont be on an 18" dish.

Best thing to do is reset everything from the reset menu, select the proper dish (18" round) and select continue, and let the receiver sit there (could take up to 15 minutes) to configure itself for the new dish.

#33 OFFLINE   hartwa

hartwa

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 02:11 PM

I cannot find a reset under the menu option. I can oly reset using the red button. I just noticed that when I use the red button or just power off and turn it back the display goes to code 771. Do you think I shouls just let it set there for 15 minutes at my best estimate of elevation and azimuth?

I usually go right to the menu button and select "repeat dish set up" from there I always have to reselect the dish tpe and switch...it always reverts back to the slimline and SWM after I reset or power off.

Thanks for all the help...

#34 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 02:23 PM

Thats the problem then, after you go to repeat dish setup, and choose 18" round and multiswitch, and hit continue, you cannot reset the box. The receiver will give you a message saying it cannot aquire a signal or an option to go to aim the dish, then aim the dish. If you reset it before it finds a signal on the new setup, it will revert back to the last working configuration.

#35 OFFLINE   hartwa

hartwa

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 02:24 PM

Radio shack sells a "satellite Finder" for $40. I was thinking about picking it up but I have an old TV right outside by the dish right now to help me point. Not sure this will help...thoughts?

#36 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 02:28 PM

Radio shack sells a "satellite Finder" for $40. I was thinking about picking it up but I have an old TV right outside by the dish right now to help me point. Not sure this will help...thoughts?

I dont know, it might help. Seems a waste to use one time. Then again, it might be for FTA satellites, which wouldnt help with DirecTv. I think once you get the receiver to actually switch to the 18" dish, you wont have any problem aiming it.

#37 OFFLINE   hartwa

hartwa

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 07:55 PM

Success finally... The problem was that I was sweeping at 36 - 42° on a 38° target. I finally got a signal at 35°..... It took all day but at least it is done now.. Thanks for all the help.

#38 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 07:57 PM

Success finally... The problem was that I was sweeping at 36 - 42° on a 38° target. I finally got a signal at 35°..... It took all day but at least it is done now.. Thanks for all the help.

Wow, and the mast is plumb? Or did you put the DirecTv lnb on a DISHnetwork dish? Thats a far bit off. Glad you got it working though.

#39 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,454 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 27 June 2010 - 09:48 PM

Put it into signal strength mode, single transponder, set it to 101 tr 4, and slowly sweep the dish left/right. If no signal, change elevation a bit, and retry. Make sure the BBC (if any) is not connected to the receiver.

Curious as to why you instructed the OP to set the SS meter for 101 transponder 4 when that is actually a spotbeam transponder?

Granted the SD locals spotbeam for the OP's location may indeed use the transponder 4 frequency, but how would you have known that ahead of time before the OP listed his exact location later in the thread? :confused:

#40 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 09:54 PM

Curious as to why you instructed the OP to set the SS meter for 101 transponder 4 when that is actually a spotbeam transponder?

I wasnt aware it was a spot beam, it just happened to be the strongest transponder on my system on 101 (and we use 119 for locals), hence my suggestion. I also suggested he try transponder 1 later in the thread, in case he did have problems with tr 4...

Anyone of the multitude of people reading the thread all day were more than welcome to point out my mistake.

#41 OFFLINE   prospect60

prospect60

Legend

• Registered
  • 188 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 11:38 PM

101 -Tr 4 is generally pretty strong and in WI that certainly shouldn't have been a problem. I rarely hear of that TP being less than 90 for anybody and it often is high 90's.

#42 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,348 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 07:00 AM

101 -Tr 4 is generally pretty strong and in WI that certainly shouldn't have been a problem. I rarely hear of that TP being less than 90 for anybody and it often is high 90's.

TP4 is zero here in DFW because we are not inside any the spotbeam coming from that transponder.

#43 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 07:22 AM

Could be the difference between the azimuth line that is magnetic and the one on charts that they call True. This deviance can be as much as ten degrees.

Setting the elevation to the correct spec on a plumb mast and swinging slowly through the az should do it. Turn on the signal meter for the 101 sat and pick a transponder. Select round dish.

I keep an old Hughes box around for this because it is known to work & the signal meter has a real loud tone.

Joe

#44 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,454 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 28 June 2010 - 08:23 AM

TP4 is zero here in DFW because we are not inside any the spotbeam coming from that transponder.

Transponder four is zero here as well in Los Angeles, as are the other 101 spotbeam transponders 12, 20, and 26.

The L.A. SD LiLs at 101 are on spotbeam transponders 18 and 28 excepting the "Big Four" network outlets which use various CONUS beam transponders since they need to serve as nationwide SD DNS signals as well.

Guess L.A. and the DFW DMAs are rarities then. :)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...