Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Does adding additional receivers to my account start a new contract?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jtrain73

jtrain73

AllStar

• Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 01:49 PM

I am no longer under contract with D* and have no desire to be. I am considering adding two more receivers (an HR24 and a H24) to my current account that has two active receivers (both HR21-700 models). Will this start a new contract with D*?

I've searched on this and can't seem to find clear information, it seems it would if I were a new customer or if I replaced my current equipment, but didn't see the additive situation specified.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 01:51 PM

Yes, unless you OWN the new receivers/DVRs

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#3 ONLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,085 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 27 June 2010 - 01:54 PM

Basically, unless a receiver is being activated due to replacing a defective receiver then it will mean a new 2 year contract. Also remember, the ETF is prorated if for some reason you need to cancel service before the end of the commitment.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#4 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 01:56 PM

To state it another way, you have to buy, not lease the receivers. For example you could buy an HR21 Pro from a company like New Egg for $400 [link]. Then you won't start a new contract. Or you have to find a used receiver and verify that its owned, not leased.
HR34-700, HR22-100

#5 OFFLINE   jtrain73

jtrain73

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 01:58 PM

What is the current ETF these days?

#6 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,233 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 27 June 2010 - 02:01 PM

I believe it is $20 a month for 2 years, or $480 if you sign up then drop it the next day. If you quit after one year, it would be $240. Etc.

#7 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 02:06 PM

jtrain73, I can understand the desire to be free and clear, but instead of paying hundreds of dollars to buy a DVR and a receiver, why not get DirecTV to give them to you for free? Since you aren't on contract, I bet you could get those for no charge, easy, if you were willing to become their love slave again. I got exactly that, plus the installation needed to move my dish, all for free when I re-up'd last year.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#8 OFFLINE   jtrain73

jtrain73

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 04:48 PM

I may do that, but I like to pick out my own receivers to make sure I get the models I want. I have not had good luck in the past with the choices D* made for their unspecified receiver upgrades or additions. If I add another HD-DVR - are all they are shipping out now HR24's? Same question for an HD receiver, am I sure to get an H24?

#9 OFFLINE   bixler

bixler

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 05:44 PM

I may do that, but I like to pick out my own receivers to make sure I get the models I want. I have not had good luck in the past with the choices D* made for their unspecified receiver upgrades or additions. If I add another HD-DVR - are all they are shipping out now HR24's? Same question for an HD receiver, am I sure to get an H24?

Since you aren't under contract you may be able to call in and have them credit your account for the money you will spend if you get the receivers on your own. They usually note the account and then you call in to tell them. I don't think there is a 100% chance you would get a 24 if you ordered through them, although they might tell you this they don't know for sure.
Slimline5.....SWM 8.....SWS-8 8 way splitter
PI feeds SWS-8 splitter and HR 21-100 in Media Room 0x62c 3:59am 12/18/12
SWS-8 splitter feeds HR 22-100 in Family Room 0x62c 3:59am 12/18/12 wireless ethernet connection via Linksys WET610N
SWS-8 splitter feeds HR 22-100 in Master Bedroom 0x62c 3:59am 12/18/12
SWS-8 splitter feeds H 21-100 in Guest Bedroom 0x45d2 3:27am 6/27/12

#10 OFFLINE   jtrain73

jtrain73

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 05:48 PM

Since you aren't under contract you may be able to call in and have them credit your account for the money you will spend if you get the receivers on your own. They usually note the account and then you call in to tell them. I don't think there is a 100% chance you would get a 24 if you ordered through them, although they might tell you this they don't know for sure.

Lost me here - D* will credit my account even if I buy the receivers online or at retail? That is new to me, but awesome if true. When you say "they note the account and then you call in to tell them" - what does that mean? Can you explain that for me, who does the noting and who do I call?

#11 OFFLINE   bixler

bixler

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 05:53 PM

Lost me here - D* will credit my account even if I buy the receivers online or at retail? That is new to me, but awesome if true. When you say "they note the account and then you call in to tell them" - what does that mean? Can you explain that for me, who does the noting and who do I call?

Call in to customer service and ask them what kind of deal you can get on new receivers, since you would be signing up for a new 2 year contract. Whatever they tell you, probably free, ask them if you would go to a retailer and purchase them yourself would they give you the credit. Tell them you want to make sure you get the model you want and you know their system can't do this. YES, many people have gotten this done. The rep will probably note your account and then when you call in to activate them the next rep will actually apply the one time credit to your account.
SWS-8 splitter feeds HR 22-100 in Family Room 0x62c 3:59am 12/18/12 wireless ethernet connection via Linksys WET610N

#12 OFFLINE   prospect60

prospect60

Legend

• Registered
  • 188 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 06:01 PM

It's possible they may credit you depending on your length with D*, your payment history, whether you've received any freebies recently, the mood of the CSR, exactly how you ask, and how many receivers you want added. I've seen people add a single HR24 and get full credit buying from Solidsignal or Amazon. You might also be able to get full or partial credit for another receiver though I'm not sure I've heard of people getting full credit for 2 DVR's.

Since you're paying a upfront lease fee I'm not sure it would make a huge difference if you get it from Amazon/SS or DirecTV at least as far as the "refund" goes.

The notes would be made by the first level CSR or I'm guessing you might have better luck with a supervisor and/or Retention.

#13 OFFLINE   bixler

bixler

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 06:05 PM

It's possible they may credit you depending on your length with D*, your payment history, whether you've received any freebies recently, the mood of the CSR, exactly how you ask, and how many receivers you want added. I've seen people add a single HR24 and get full credit buying from Solidsignal or Amazon. You might also be able to get full or partial credit for another receiver though I'm not sure I've heard of people getting full credit for 2 DVR's.

Since you're paying a upfront lease fee I'm not sure it would make a huge difference if you get it from Amazon/SS or DirecTV at least as far as the "refund" goes.

The notes would be made by the first level CSR or I'm guessing you might have better luck with a supervisor and/or Retention.

Probably have the best luck with retention. I would tell the voice prompt you want to cancel and then tell the tell the rep you are getting good offers from Dish to get 2 new DVRs and ask what they can do to keep your business.

#14 OFFLINE   azarby

azarby

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,061 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 06:43 PM

I am no longer under contract with D* and have no desire to be. I am considering adding two more receivers (an HR24 and a H24) to my current account that has two active receivers (both HR21-700 models). Will this start a new contract with D*?

I've searched on this and can't seem to find clear information, it seems it would if I were a new customer or if I replaced my current equipment, but didn't see the additive situation specified.

I own four of my 5 receivers and lease the Hr24-500 that was installed last week (obtained from Solid Signal). Looking on line at account overview and clicking on the other tab, I have a line item that says:

No Annual Commitment $0.00

#15 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,378 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 27 June 2010 - 11:58 PM

I own four of my 5 receivers and lease the Hr24-500 that was installed last week (obtained from Solid Signal). Looking on line at account overview and clicking on the other tab, I have a line item that says:

No Annual Commitment $0.00

That means nothing. I have that as well and am under contract with them still till August 19th this year. I have 5 recievers on account and 2 of them are owned. Eventually I plan on going to all owned units. I do not want to be under contract to D* as well. Im not planning on leaving and I have the PP but enjoy owning my own recievers. I live in a MPEG4 only market so I have 2 owned R22's, a leased HR20, and 2 D12's. I recieved 2 H20's recently that I will be activating and sending the D12's back but that was all for free with no extension as it was part of the mpeg4 swap. I want to buy a HR20 soon and drop an internal hard drive of at least 1tb or 1.5 and call it good. If I am gonna go back under contract its gonna either be for a HR24 or maybe the new HD Tivo when ever it finally gets here. Either way I want things on my terms. I feel like I have more power owning the recievers. I can activate them and deactivate them at my leasure not that I do but I can and I have the comfort of knowing if one of them craps out D* will replace it with something else that is considered owned. So if my 2 R22's die then D* will either replace them with another R22 or a HR series DVR as I am in a MPEG4 only market. I like the sound of that. I also like the sound of someday selling the recievers and making some decent money back. Most R22's or HR series go for around $125 or more and that does not count shipping. As long as you are willing to take the time to call in reciever id's and wait to pay a decent price on ebay for an owned unit and then also spend $20 for a replacement card for the reciever then you to can stay away from being under contract with D*. Like I said I am waiting to see what the HD TiVo will be like. Might be worth starting another 2 year term with them.

#16 ONLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,311 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 28 June 2010 - 12:46 PM

jtrain73, I can understand the desire to be free and clear, but instead of paying hundreds of dollars to buy a DVR and a receiver, why not get DirecTV to give them to you for free? Since you aren't on contract, I bet you could get those for no charge, easy, if you were willing to become their love slave again. I got exactly that, plus the installation needed to move my dish, all for free when I re-up'd last year.

Same thing here, except DirecTV offered the free DVR when I called about the $10 HD discount for 24 months. Tech not only installed the new DVR, he adjusted the dish pointing and replaced all the connections at the dish, not just the ones he added.

I've been with Direct TV 3 1/2 years and understand and accept the ramifications of a new 24-month contract.
Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#17 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 29 June 2010 - 06:14 PM

I believe it is $20 a month for 2 years, or $480 if you sign up then drop it the next day. If you quit after one year, it would be $240. Etc.

WOW!!! Really? That's outrageous. Five hundred bucks if your situation changes and you must drop subscription TV due to a job loss, health issue, etc.... Even cell phone companies (who perfected the art of ETF's) don't gouge customers that much.

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#18 OFFLINE   tkrandall

tkrandall

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,795 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 07:24 AM

Also, those ETF fees are per receiver.

#19 ONLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,085 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 30 June 2010 - 07:27 AM

Are you sure about that since that's not my understanding?

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#20 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,685 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 08:06 AM

No, ETF fees are for dropping the service. They will charge you for each receiver if you refuse to return them.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...