Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Please check my hardware order for Whole Home service

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   JGL

JGL

AllStar

• Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 03:39 PM

I'm getting ready to order the Whole Home DVR service and wanted to make sure I have everything right as far as what I need for hardware.

I have an AU9 5 LNB dish with 5 DVR's: (3) HR20-100's, (1) HR20-700, (1) HR21-700

So I would need:

SWM-16 with 2 8-way splitters (or do I just need 1 8-way splitter and take the other 2 tuners off the other SWM-16 output?)

6 DECA units with 2 PI's (5 for each DVR and 1 for broadband internet)

3 each of band stop filters and splitters for the HR20-100's

Anything else? If I tell them I need 2-way splitters (for the HR20-100's), will they know what I'm talking about or do I need to be more specific with model #'s, etc...

Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,096 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 27 June 2010 - 03:58 PM

If you call DirecTV you don't need to tell them anything except you want connected home, whole homr DVR and internet connection, they'll figure out what you need.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#3 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,273 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 27 June 2010 - 04:22 PM

I'm getting ready to order the Whole Home DVR service and wanted to make sure I have everything right as far as what I need for hardware.

I have an AU9 5 LNB dish with 5 DVR's: (3) HR20-100's, (1) HR20-700, (1) HR21-700

So I would need:

SWM-16 with 2 8-way splitters (or do I just need 1 8-way splitter and take the other 2 tuners off the other SWM-16 output?)

6 DECA units with 2 PI's (5 for each DVR and 1 for broadband internet)

3 each of band stop filters and splitters for the HR20-100's

Anything else? If I tell them I need 2-way splitters (for the HR20-100's), will they know what I'm talking about or do I need to be more specific with model #'s, etc...

Thanks.

You are going to spend a lot of money to do it yourself.
For only $149 (and many report that's negotiable), Directv will come to your home and do everything. All the hardware and Labor.
Why spend hundreds to DIY?

#4 OFFLINE   JGL

JGL

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 04:41 PM

If you call DirecTV you don't need to tell them anything except you want connected home, whole homr DVR and internet connection, they'll figure out what you need.

Well, from my previous experiences with CSR's, I wanted to be sure what I needed so I can correct them when they mess up the order. :)

#5 OFFLINE   JGL

JGL

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 04:43 PM

You are going to spend a lot of money to do it yourself.
For only $149 (and many report that's negotiable), Directv will come to your home and do everything. All the hardware and Labor.
Why spend hundreds to DIY?

I'm not doing it myself...I'm calling to order from Directv. Just wanted to confirm this is what I needed from them.

#6 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,273 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 27 June 2010 - 05:58 PM

Ah, I never got that impression from your post. Sorry bout that.

Don't worry about specifying anything. Other than name, address and account number. The work order will be generated over the number of tuners you have and your receiver composition. The CSR doesn't do that, the Directv order system handles it all.

One thing, your installers may prefer to swap out the HR20-100s for HR24's. Some are very confused over this. The HR20-100 works well but requires a little extra. This post from VOS is great.

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=177195

If you are given the chance, grab the HR24's and if you need OTA, you should be able to get AM21's at n/c. Many have, others claim they have not been able to. Installers don't have AM21's, and the Retention dept usually takes care of the n/c orders.

Good luck.

#7 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,096 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 06:29 PM

As NR4P said, the CSR's really can't specify anything other then saying you want the connected home/whole home DVR service, their computer will the generate the workorder for the techs. From what I've seen on a number of threads is to make sure you say you want the internet connection on the workorder (you can see that line item in the pending order section in your online account) else the tech might not have the DECA+PI to connect to your network.

#8 OFFLINE   JGL

JGL

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 08:44 PM

I called and order the Whole Home with Internet, so we'll see how it goes. CSR said my HR20-100's weren't flagged for replacement, so the installer must be getting what he needs to get it done. Too bad...would have been sweet to get new receivers, but the -100's are working well so far.

I guess even after reading through all these posts, I didn't realize there was a new 2-year commitment with this install, especially since I'm not getting any new receivers. I kind of balked a little bit on that, but when I eventually said yes, the CSR offered me $20 off a month for a year on my base package (Premier) for being a long time customer, so it's all good.
Oh, and they waived the $99 charge so I'll only have to pay about $51 for the install.
Scheduled for July 5th, so hopefully things go smooth.

#9 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,274 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 27 June 2010 - 08:51 PM

There should be no commitment extension with the MRV upgrade, especially if you are not swapping out or adding any receivers.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#10 OFFLINE   JGL

JGL

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 09:05 PM

I questioned her a couple times on that 2-year commitment, but she insisted there was. I knew that didn't sound right, but I'll probably be with them that much longer anyway. Just wish for once all the CSR's were on the same page.

#11 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,664 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 05:47 AM

Actually, it's a good thing I knew what I was going to need, because when the installer first called to say he was on his way, I asked him what he was bringing, and he didn't have half of what her needed. This saved an unnecessary trip, because he wrote down everything I told him and was able to get someone to bring him what he needed while he moved another job ahead of mine. Granted, that was on 5/18, when all this was still relatively new to everyone.

I see the OP has 3 HR21-100's. If they put the 2-way splitters in between the DECA and the HR20's, those 3 BSF's won't be needed.

Looks to me like you'll need:

1- SWiM-16 + P.I.
6- DECA's + 1-DECA P.I. (5 HR's and the broadband connection)
1- 8way splitter (or 2- 4way's) to connect 6 DECA's to a SWiM-16
3- 2way splitters to connect your HR20-100's

Edited by Steve, 28 June 2010 - 06:01 AM.

/steve

#12 OFFLINE   NASCR2424

NASCR2424

Legend

• Registered
  • 110 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 06:39 AM

Ah, I never got that impression from your post. Sorry bout that.

Don't worry about specifying anything. Other than name, address and account number. The work order will be generated over the number of tuners you have and your receiver composition. The CSR doesn't do that, the Directv order system handles it all.

One thing, your installers may prefer to swap out the HR20-100s for HR24's. Some are very confused over this. The HR20-100 works well but requires a little extra. This post from VOS is great.

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=177195

If you are given the chance, grab the HR24's and if you need OTA, you should be able to get AM21's at n/c. Many have, others claim they have not been able to. Installers don't have AM21's, and the Retention dept usually takes care of the n/c orders.

Good luck.

Figures!! I have 1 HR20-100, 2 H20-100's. Was told the Hr was ok, but the H20's had to be swapped. I said that was fine but explained to her I use OTA since locals are not offered in my area and would the replacement have a connection for OTA? she said that when the installers see that they are replacing the H20's they should know I need the OTA and if the new receiver doesn't have it they will bring AM 21's also. The work order says nothing about what type of receiver I have just says (2 Directv HD swap). So I assume come Wednesday I'll be calling to try and get AM21's.

#13 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 07:14 AM

As NR4P said, the CSR's really can't specify anything other then saying you want the connected home/whole home DVR service, their computer will the generate the workorder for the techs. From what I've seen on a number of threads is to make sure you say you want the internet connection on the workorder (you can see that line item in the pending order section in your online account) else the tech might not have the DECA+PI to connect to your network.

That's too bad because both times that I ordered there was no SWM on the work order. I have 5 DVRs so their computer is just assuming that I have SWM. I spent hours on the phone and there is nothing anyone can do about it.

#14 OFFLINE   NASCR2424

NASCR2424

Legend

• Registered
  • 110 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 08:20 AM

That's too bad because both times that I ordered there was no SWM on the work order. I have 5 DVRs so their computer is just assuming that I have SWM. I spent hours on the phone and there is nothing anyone can do about it.

Same here, I have the side car dish and was told that I needed the dish upgraded and the SWM installed. But no where on the order does it mention any of this. This is all my order has.
2 DIRECTV® Standard Receiver - Swap $0.00
2 DIRECTV® HD - Swap $0.00
1 Whole-Home Upgrd and ICK $99.00

I don't know who my local installer is, If i call Directv will they give me there number so I can call the installer and verify everything needed? or do I just have to wait till the installer arrives to see if he has everything? My install is Wednesday afternoon.

Edited by NASCR2424, 28 June 2010 - 08:51 AM.

#15 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,664 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 08:48 AM

[quote name='The Merg']There should be no commitment extension with the MRV upgrade, especially if you are not swapping out or adding any receivers.[quote name='JGL']I questioned her a couple times on that 2-year commitment, but she insisted there was. I knew that didn't sound right, but I'll probably be with them that much longer anyway. Just wish for once all the CSR's were on the same page.[/QUOTE]Merg is right. They are not upgrading any of your DVR's, so no extension. Even if you're going to stay for 24 months, it's a matter of principle, IMHO.

You might want to check your account at DirecTV.com. In spite of what the CSR said, the automated system may not have extended your commitment. I think it's listed in the "Other" tab, in your "Account Overview". If it shows there, I'd call and see if I get another CSR who knows better. Just my .02.
/steve

#16 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,096 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 12:24 PM

As it's been said MANY times, the CSR's can't do squat about specifying something on an order, the all knowing (ha ha) computer puts on the order what the tech is to install. Once the install tech calls to say they're on the way you can quiz them at that point about what they're bringing and let them know if there a problem but telling the CSR is just wasting your time.

Have you tried contacting the executive office at email ellen.filipiak@directv.com? If not e-mail them with what the issue is and if anyone can get things fixed up it's that level of staff.

#17 OFFLINE   JGL

JGL

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 06:24 PM

There should be no commitment extension with the MRV upgrade, especially if you are not swapping out or adding any receivers.

Merg is right. They are not upgrading any of your DVR's, so no extension. Even if you're going to stay for 24 months, it's a matter of principle, IMHO.

I called again and talked with another CSR.
The first CSR was mistaken, since it was confirmed that there is no commitment unless I was adding a receiver.

I did ask about getting another HD DVR, but they couldn't do any better than $99, so I passed for now.

#18 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 09:39 AM

Same here, I have the side car dish and was told that I needed the dish upgraded and the SWM installed. But no where on the order does it mention any of this. This is all my order has.
2 DIRECTV® Standard Receiver - Swap $0.00
2 DIRECTV® HD - Swap $0.00
1 Whole-Home Upgrd and ICK $99.00

I don't know who my local installer is, If i call Directv will they give me there number so I can call the installer and verify everything needed? or do I just have to wait till the installer arrives to see if he has everything? My install is Wednesday afternoon.

As Rad said in replying to my post, the installer will call you to tell you he's on the way. You can ask him at that time if SWM will be installed.

#19 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,274 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 30 June 2010 - 09:52 AM

I called again and talked with another CSR.
The first CSR was mistaken, since it was confirmed that there is no commitment unless I was adding a receiver.

I did ask about getting another HD DVR, but they couldn't do any better than $99, so I passed for now.

There is also a commitment extension if you upgrade a receiver as well (SD-DVR to HD-DVR, SD receiver to HD receiver).

And $99 for a HD-DVR isn't that terrible, especially if you get an HR24 out of it. If you get it and it is not an HR24, you always have the option to not activate it and return it. If you order it along with the MRV upgrade, you can have the CSR put notes to the installer to try to bring an HR24. It's not a guarantee, but a lot of users here have had success getting an HR24 that way.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#20 OFFLINE   JGL

JGL

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 05:23 PM

And $99 for a HD-DVR isn't that terrible, especially if you get an HR24 out of it.
- Merg

Yes, I realize $99 is a good price. I've had that offer for quite a while now on my account, so if I feel the need to get another (hopefully a HR24), then I can do that at some later time.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...