Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Please check my hardware order for Whole Home service

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   JGL

JGL

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 08:37 AM

I see the OP has 3 HR21-100's. If they put the 2-way splitters in between the DECA and the HR20's, those 3 BSF's won't be needed.

Looks to me like you'll need:

1- SWiM-16 + P.I.
6- DECA's + 1-DECA P.I. (5 HR's and the broadband connection)
1- 8way splitter (or 2- 4way's) to connect 6 DECA's to a SWiM-16
3- 2way splitters to connect your HR20-100's

Looking at the thread about connecting the HR20-100's, I see that the method that you suggest (without the BSF's) is not officially supported by Directv, but that it does work for most people. Should I insist that the installer put in the BSF's, or won't it really matter?

Since I have 5 DVR's (10 tuners), would I only need 1 8-way splitter (or 2 4-ways)? Is each output of a splitter capable of passing 2 tuners to each DVR in a SWiM setup?
Or, are you saying to get my 8 tuners from the 8-way, and the other 2 from the other SWiM-16 output?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#22 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,662 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 08:47 AM

Looking at the thread about connecting the HR20-100's, I see that the method that you suggest (without the BSF's) is not officially supported by Directv, but that it does work for most people. Should I insist that the installer put in the BSF's, or won't it really matter?

Probably doesn't matter. If the installer has the BSF's, he can do it the "official" way. But if he doesn't have the BSF's and has the 2-way splitters, you can ask him to connect them the "unofficial" way, so as not to hold up your installation. Just my .02.

Since I have 5 DVR's (10 tuners), would I only need 1 8-way splitter (or 2 4-ways)? Is each output of a splitter capable of passing 2 tuners to each DVR in a SWiM setup?

Yes. So you only need 1 output per device, including the DECA that will act as your broadband "bridge".
/steve

#23 OFFLINE   JGL

JGL

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 05:41 PM

Yes. So you only need 1 output per device, including the DECA that will act as your broadband "bridge".

Ok, thanks, Steve.
I was a little confused on how many tuners vs. devices could be run from the splitters from these pictures:

SWiM16.gif

deca20setup.png

So, in the case of the 2nd picture, there really is no need for a 2nd 8-way splitter, but by using both splitters it's possible to run 16 devices and potentially 32 tuners from the way it's drawn?

#24 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,988 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 06:01 PM

Ok, thanks, Steve.
I was a little confused on how many tuners vs. devices could be run from the splitters from these pictures:

[ATTACH]22778[/ATTACH]

So, in the case of the 2nd picture, there really is no need for a 2nd 8-way splitter, but by using both splitters it's possible to run 16 devices and potentially 32 tuners from the way it's drawn?

There is NO WAY you can have 32 tuners off a SWiM-16. The "16" refers to the maximum number of tuners, which for a DVR is two.
This means only eight DVRs can be connected to the SWiM-16.
There are two outputs and only eight tuners per output.
A.K.A VOS

#25 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,662 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 07:19 PM

[...]There are two outputs and only eight tuners per output.

That's right. I forgot the SWiM-16 is really two DECA-bridged SWiM-8's, in the same case, so you can't put 10 tuners on an 8-way splitter connected to one "leg" of the SWiM-16. Max is 8 tuners per "leg", as VOS points out.

So for your configuration, you would need minimum of one 4-way splitter and one 2-way splitter. With each connector on the splitter good for one device, you can put put 4 DVR's (8 tuners) on the 4-way splitter connected to one leg of the SWiM, and 1 DVR (2 tuners) and the broadband DECA (no tuners, so "invisible" as far as the SWiM is concerned) on the 2-way splitter connected to the other leg of the SWiM.
/steve

Protected By... spam firewall...And...