Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

New Installation and Zip Code Question

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   UMass03

UMass03

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 05:34 PM

My parents have been thinking of getting Direct but it seems that based on where they live they would get Springfield, MA locals instead of the Boston locals they prefer.

I looked briefly at Direct's site and plugging in their zip code it asks which county they are in. Their zip is all Franklin but if they were Worcester they would get the Boston locals.

Since they have a choice online, If they signed up online and chose the County option to get the Boston locals would they actually get them or come install and activation would it go back to the Springfield locals (which they don't want)

TIA!
MY EQUIPMENT
HR23-700 HD DVR
HR24-100 HD
Samsung LNB40550
XBOX 360 Elite
Sony PS3

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 07:03 PM

No one gets to choose - the web site merely tells you which locals you'll get based on your location, and asks you to be specific, since some ZIP codes spread across two or more counties, for example. But it will be based on the DMA the Service Address is in, period.

The satellite companies are required to follow DMA rules (federal law), so they don't have a choice either. And note that cable companies have different rules, since their service works differently, so what cable offers can be different for some folks than what satellite offers.

spam firewall