Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Will A Change in Service Package Affect Grandfathered DNS?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   hidefman

hidefman

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 06:47 PM

Not sure if this is right place to ask... haven't seen this question in awhile. Long-time DirecTV sub...Premiere Package since I began with grandfathered DNS. Been thinking for a while about dropping down from Premiere. Will this affect my grandfathered DNS? IF yes, nevermind. If ok, what's the best way?... on-line, CSR???
5 LNB AU9 Slimline, SWM16, 1 - HR34, 2 - HR21-700, 2 - HR20-700, 1 - HR20-100, 1 H21, Networked cat 5, CE.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,123 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 27 June 2010 - 06:50 PM

Call them.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#3 OFFLINE   mrfatboy

mrfatboy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 322 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 06:53 PM

Does your DNS say "grandfathered" in your online account? I have not changed packages but I was told that I would loose DNS when I upgraded to HD. However, that didn't happend to me. I still have my "grandfathered" DNS :)

It's not the exact answer you want but it leans toward that you should be able to keep it. Wait for more reply's :)
DirecTV since '99, Grandfathered DNS Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox | HR24-500 | HR23-700 | Unsupported MRV

My Network Setup

My Computer Setup

#4 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,378 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 27 June 2010 - 11:44 PM

The law recently changed. Unless you drop your DNS feeds D* is not able to remove them from your account. You are grandfathered in. It does not matter if you change packages or add locals D* can not drop your DNS feeds. If you want to hear if from them then call and ask for the DNS department.

#5 OFFLINE   alv

alv

Godfather

• Registered
  • 288 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 03:52 AM

If they dropped them inthe past when programming changed, can you get them back?

#6 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,378 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 28 June 2010 - 12:23 PM

If they dropped them inthe past when programming changed, can you get them back?

Probably depends on how long ago we are talking about. The law has only been affect for less then 1 month I think. It was written to say for those that already have DNS feeds are able to keep then when your LIL service launches.

#7 OFFLINE   hidefman

hidefman

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 04:10 PM

The law recently changed. Unless you drop your DNS feeds D* is not able to remove them from your account. You are grandfathered in. It does not matter if you change packages or add locals D* can not drop your DNS feeds. If you want to hear if from them then call and ask for the DNS department.

unless you move....
5 LNB AU9 Slimline, SWM16, 1 - HR34, 2 - HR21-700, 2 - HR20-700, 1 - HR20-100, 1 H21, Networked cat 5, CE.

#8 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,378 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 28 June 2010 - 05:17 PM

unless you move....

This is very true. I recently moved and it was funny really. I was able to get DNS waivers approved that I wasnt able to before I moved and then not able to get some approved that I had before I moved. Go figure. It was a pain. Anyone using DNS feeds I dont reccommend moving lol.

#9 OFFLINE   Sea bass

Sea bass

Icon

• Registered
  • 667 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 08:02 PM

I'm kinda skepticle of the "or add locals" portion...it would be nice, but I kinda have my doubts...I hope I'm wrong!

#10 OFFLINE   VLaslow

VLaslow

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 08:57 PM

You shouldn't lose them. But the "don't ask, don't tell" rule might still exist. I never mention it to them, and they never talk about it to me.

#11 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,378 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 28 June 2010 - 09:21 PM

You shouldn't lose them. But the "don't ask, don't tell" rule might still exist. I never mention it to them, and they never talk about it to me.

See I go in the exact opposite direction. I ask so that I am not supprised later on. I want to know what to expect upfront so I can make the decisions. Give me the facts and I will let you know what I want done.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...